9 Replies - 1004 Views - Last Post: 01 March 2009 - 09:29 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Which would you recommend to a novice?

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

As a mere novice I was wondering if perhaps, you who are considered as seasoned pro's, in the world of programming would advise which language to 'major' in. That is to say, I have a choice between making either C# or VB.Net to be the main language for which I intend to pursue Microsoft Certification...and I can think of no better place to seek sound advice than DIC. So, in anticipation of such advice, many thanks indeed!!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which would you recommend to a novice?

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which would you recommend to a novice?

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:15 PM

Basically, both VB.NET and C# are based on the same 'foundation' - .NET Framework, so if you are quite familiar with one of them, it won't be a problem to switch to another. It all depends on which one is easier for you. And I never heard people 'majoring' in a specific language.

Bottom line, try both -- when you will see that one of them is easier for you or you can develop more effectively with one rather than another, pick that one. I am using both C# and VB.NET to develop my projects, as some tasks can be performed a bit different in both of the languages. Nobody can tell you what language to learn unless you try it and see for yourself what advantages and disadvantages it has. Especially if you plan to pass the Microsoft Certification, you have to be sure that you will be comfortable with building applications using that specific language.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:41 PM

Many thanks, Core. As for 'majoring'...it does perhaps sound a bit ridiculous, but I really used the word in an attempt to lay emphasis upon the matter. Keep well, my American friend, God bless.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

If you really want to choose one over the other, you may look at C# over VB.NET...simply because the overall adoption rate of C# is higher. the functionality differences between the two are negligible (not being very familiar with VB.NET, I'm not aware of the functionality differences).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:15 PM

C#, ignore the VB fanboys. I noticed you said "God Bless". If you are a Christian you might find this useful. "Ignore the VB fanboys, they know not what they do." ;).

C# is a pretty cool language, I especially like the features from functional languages that C# is beginning to use. Such as anonymous functions. The adoption rate of C# is amazing, it could overtake Java in years to come but I doubt that. I think that if you are on a quest for microsoft certification, C# is the way to go. Learning both would be an even better track but focusing on C# will likely get you farther.

This post has been edited by Raynes: 22 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Villiage Idiom
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:18 PM

C# FTW
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:19 PM

I've known two people who've had experience with both, and they both said that they preferred C#.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

C# will teach you better programming practices and it is probably a more professionally accepted language. Once you learn C# you will find VB.Net a pretty easy side language to pick up if you need to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:38 AM

http://www.google.co...=c%23%2C+VB.NET
As you can see more people search for C# than VB.Net and even in Redmond this holds true. And Redmond happens to be the largest city using Google to search for C#... You can also see searches for both have gone down. C# still gets searched more than VB.Net in about a 3:1 ratio. Basically I'd go with C# simply because more people seem to be interested in it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:29 AM

View PostArenlor, on 1 Mar, 2009 - 04:38 AM, said:

http://www.google.co...=c%23%2C+VB.NET
As you can see more people search for C# than VB.Net and even in Redmond this holds true. And Redmond happens to be the largest city using Google to search for C#... You can also see searches for both have gone down. C# still gets searched more than VB.Net in about a 3:1 ratio. Basically I'd go with C# simply because more people seem to be interested in it.

Yeah, cause we all know, the language with the most search results must be the best!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1