6 Replies - 493 Views - Last Post: 03 March 2009 - 06:13 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello Everyone!

Post icon  Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:57 PM

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie programmer. I started looking at beginning programming about a year ago, and started a bit reading about C. At first I didn't really understand how I could actually use it to do anything, but after I started electronics in school and programmed a bit in Visual Basic and Assembly (for microcontrollers) I became more and more interested. But the thing that really has gotten me hooked is the demoscene.

Keeping it short, heres some excerpts from the template:

Name: Andreas

Programming Languages: C++ (main interest)/VB/ASM

Hobbies/Interests: Programming, Paragliding and Snowboarding. In that order :)

Favorite Bands: The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Røyksopp, Massive Attack... ++++ (mainly electronica)
Favorite Beverage: Beer
Favorite Quote: "Science is one cold hearted bitch, with a 16-inch strap-on" -Masuka (presenting scientifical criminal evidence) from Dexter (TV-Series)
Favorite Video Game: Final Fantasy 7, Quake 3, Starcraft, Diablo2,
Last Good Book I Read: Accelerated C++ (still reading it)

If I Could Have One Superhuman Ability, It Would Be: Time Travel, hands down.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello Everyone!

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Hello Everyone!

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:57 PM

edit: double post

This post has been edited by alf: 23 February 2009 - 01:43 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hello! Welcome to dream.in.code.

Gosh, I envy you...you can program in assembly? That is so cool! & what is the demoscene?

Oh...you have to keep your hands down when you time travel? I will have to remember that. ;)

Have fun at DIC. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

Andreas, StarCraft is my oldtime favorite as well. It's a surprise an 18 year old remebers it. Welcome to the community!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:12 PM

I can only program a little bit in assembly. Basic functions for a microcontroller etc. Very fun, you feel very much in control when programming in assembly :)

The demoscene is basically a bunch of developers/artists (coders, gfx artists, composers etc) working together / competing to make the best productions. The most spectacular thing about the demoscene are the demo's (duh), they are basically computer programs that show off graphics (accompanied and synced with music).

demoparties, basically LAN parties with ONLY creative compos + beer, prueawsome, have compos that restrict the participants to create productions that are less than e.g 64kilobytes in size. It's amazing what some people can produce. Check out www.pouet.net for some productions. The demo's run on everything from windows to gameboy.

Andreas, StarCraft is my oldtime favorite as well. It's a surprise an 18 year old remebers it. Welcome to the community!

Yea, amazing game :D Can't wait for SC2, just hope I don't become too addicted ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

View Postalf, on 23 Feb, 2009 - 11:57 AM, said:

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie programmer. I started looking at beginning programming about a year ago, and started a bit reading about C. At first I didn't really understand how I could actually use it to do anything, but after I started electronics in school and programmed a bit in Visual Basic and Assembly (for microcontrollers) I became more and more interested. But the thing that really has gotten me hooked is the demoscene.

Keeping it short, heres some excerpts from the template:

Name: Andreas

Programming Languages: C++ (main interest)/VB/ASM

Hobbies/Interests: Programming, Paragliding and Snowboarding. In that order :)

Favorite Bands: The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Røyksopp, Massive Attack... ++++ (mainly electronica)
Favorite Beverage: Beer
Favorite Quote: "Science is one cold hearted bitch, with a 16-inch strap-on" -Masuka (presenting scientifical criminal evidence) from Dexter (TV-Series)
Favorite Video Game: Final Fantasy 7, Quake 3, Starcraft, Diablo2,
Last Good Book I Read: Accelerated C++ (still reading it)

If I Could Have One Superhuman Ability, It Would Be: Time Travel, hands down.

woow.. watta long intro.. hehe.. i didn't mind reading it.. =) well.. i just wanna, say.. WELCOME to DREAMINCODE!

enjoy posting and chatting with us.. hope we could bee friends too..

c yah. around! =)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:13 AM

Welcome to Dream.In.Code

I would like to point you in the direction of our site rules. SITE RULES

Please take the time to read over these rules to see how the forums are run. I would also like to bring to your attention that before you make
any post here there will be a post that will display some of the rules and guidelines we would like you to follow when you are making a post.

:code:

When posting a question or a problem, please remember the more information that you provide us with about your issue the better we will
be able to help you solve it!

If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact myself or another staff memeber, and we will be more then happy to answer
any questions you might have.

Thanks for joining Dream.In.Code!

-Justin
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1