Programmer knowledge must have for .NET

What functionality app wise is a must for .NET?

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 2407 Views - Last Post: 13 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Programmer knowledge must have for .NET

Post icon  Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:27 PM

I have been a mainframe programmer for 20 years (COBOL,DB2,CICS,etc.) and the last 4 years in VB. I moved to Florida and have had a very difficult
time finding a job in the Orlando area. I have chosen to learn the .NET environment and C#, ASP.NET etc. to get up to speed to become more marketable.

My question is, what application functionality (know-how) is a must or most popular in todays client server environment? For instance, A system that verifies security
upon logon, queries SQL server databases to display data in a grid for user selection or add / update / delete functionality? Also what is more popular, windows environment for screens or the Web (or web services)? Your opinions would be appreciated as out of all that can be learned, I want to focus on the important ones.

Thanks in advance!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programmer knowledge must have for .NET

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programmer knowledge must have for .NET

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

Basically, every aspect of the .NET platform is important and can be applied in a wide range of applications. The developer works with lots of classes, handling database connections, information exchange by networks, application interactions, web services and many more. You can't just focus on something like SQL connections. The fundamental knowledge is the understanding on how the programming language works. You may also want to study the .NET classes, to find out what operations you can do by using the built-in classes instead of writing your own.

Speaking about environments, both Windows and Web are widely used. Obviously, many .NET developers develop applications for both Windows and Web, since .NET offers the possibility to minimize the efforts by using pretty much the same class libraries.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:16 AM

I appreciate your reply but could you or anyone be more specific on what type of application development functionality is most common.
What do the screens display and what are the common operations performed (display web browser, user update screens, reports etc.). Thanks!
What things will an employer require mostly today?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 04:27 PM

You'll find that most .NET programming is with business software.

If you can understand basic workflow, business rules etc then you've already got a foot in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:28 PM

View PostDeCompile, on 24 Feb, 2009 - 03:27 PM, said:

You'll find that most .NET programming is with business software.

If you can understand basic workflow, business rules etc then you've already got a foot in.

No problem with what you mentioned. What business software did you have in mind? I assumed creating an app using C# or ASP.net.
Are you saying that if a business wanted a loan processing system thay would buy canned software and th programmer would only
support / modify the existing code rather that develop the system from scratch? Is most .Net programming from scratch or canned routines / software?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

You are trying to take a broad subject and pinpoint it to a specific language. Employers that are looking for someone with .NET experience are also going to be looking for specific attributes. If a company is hiring someone to design web applications, they will be looking for asp.NET with any range of the platforms other languages.

The beauty of .NET is the fact that all of the .NET supported languages fit the entire .NET framework.

The most common language for general application development is C++.

I don't know what you are looking for here in terms of an answer, but I think you have the wrong idea about employee requirements. As with any other job in the world, the requirements are going to be a tailor fit for the job itself... not some portrait of a common trait.

EDIT:

I hadn't read the OP... I had only read the two most recent posts to try and catch up to speed. Anyways, for the services you are interested in, C# and ASP.net would be the most likely requirements for that type of job... although there is always room for people that have expertise in other areas. As Core said previously, that is the beauty of .NET.

This post has been edited by pr4y: 24 February 2009 - 05:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:01 PM

A lot of the time you'll find that most sofware is either from scratch or maintenance programming.

Long gone are the days that business software was developed in C++. Programming languages such as .NET have given the developer / programmer a quicker means to produce the required result.

This becomes a big thing with business programming. There is very little design implementation. It's all about giving the customer what they want and fast.

If you're looking into business programming (a mind numbing and monotonous genre) then learning how to design databases, join tables and produce forms that flow while minimizing possible operator errors is a must.

It may seem trivial but it's true. Just maintaining postcodes / phone numbers and email address can cause major havoc when they're not checked when they're entered.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 06:33 PM

View Postpr4y, on 24 Feb, 2009 - 04:33 PM, said:

You are trying to take a broad subject and pinpoint it to a specific language. Employers that are looking for someone with .NET experience are also going to be looking for specific attributes. If a company is hiring someone to design web applications, they will be looking for asp.NET with any range of the platforms other languages.

The beauty of .NET is the fact that all of the .NET supported languages fit the entire .NET framework.

I don't know what you are looking for here in terms of an answer, but I think you have the wrong idea about employee requirements. As with any other job in the world, the requirements are going to be a tailor fit for the job itself... not some portrait of a common trait.

EDIT:

I hadn't read the OP... I had only read the two most recent posts to try and catch up to speed. Anyways, for the services you are interested in, C# and ASP.net would be the most likely requirements for that type of job... although there is always room for people that have expertise in other areas. As Core said previously, that is the beauty of .NET.

In response to pr4y, I have been in the programming business for over 20 years and I know each system requirement is different, but each system usually shares
common routines or common processing such as insert / update / delete from databases. Search on data that the user has asked a query on and display it on
a screen. I was looking for common functions in the clent server arena for .Net, C# for instance, like most apps perform database processing so I should know
how to connect to a SQL Server database and perform certain functions. This is just an example. You guys have been using .Net far longer than I, I just wanted tro know the most common things, classes, functions that you use without going into great depth.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

View Postpr4y, on 24 Feb, 2009 - 05:33 PM, said:

In regular business apps? Maybe managed C++ (yeah part of .NET), but it is much easier to create a quick GUI based program in C# or something else. (PsychoCoder, swoop in and back me up here ;) ).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:43 AM

View PostKYA, on 24 Feb, 2009 - 09:22 PM, said:

In regular business apps? Maybe managed C++ (yeah part of .NET), but it is much easier to create a quick GUI based program in C# or something else. (PsychoCoder, swoop in and back me up here ;) ).

Yup, somewhat easier to develop GUIs in C#. Developing WinForms using C++/CLI produces ugly code (by ugly I mean not indented properly).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:41 PM

As a hiring manager for a software company the answer you are looking for is not here.

If you want something that will assist in your attempts to bring your resume up to date, I would recommend the following skillsets for a "general" .NET development position.

1. C# and VB.NET
2. How to connect to ANY database using .NET (SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, Excel)
3. Best practices: Try/Catch/Finally. Object orientation.
4. Web applications. (Server, Client)
5. Win Forms

And be prepared to keep learning. Youre moving to the cutting edge where the .NET runtimes will outrun your ability to learn it all. .NET is a general term, but there are several levels, the latest being 3.5 with the addition of XAML/SilverLight. They say WinForms will eventually succumb to these newer interface development methods.

Good luck in your endeavors, but Im afraid you need to identify a specific niche in the current markets that you are looking to get into. For example: Banking, Financial, Services, POS, Gaming....without that you will not get the information you are truly seeking.

Virtually everything today is "client/server" its the requirements that drive the actual technology behind it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

View PostBackwardsThinking, on 26 Feb, 2009 - 09:41 PM, said:

As a hiring manager for a software company the answer you are looking for is not here.

If you want something that will assist in your attempts to bring your resume up to date, I would recommend the following skillsets for a "general" .NET development position.

1. C# and VB.NET
2. How to connect to ANY database using .NET (SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, Excel)
3. Best practices: Try/Catch/Finally. Object orientation.
4. Web applications. (Server, Client)
5. Win Forms

And be prepared to keep learning. Youre moving to the cutting edge where the .NET runtimes will outrun your ability to learn it all. .NET is a general term, but there are several levels, the latest being 3.5 with the addition of XAML/SilverLight. They say WinForms will eventually succumb to these newer interface development methods.

Good luck in your endeavors, but Im afraid you need to identify a specific niche in the current markets that you are looking to get into. For example: Banking, Financial, Services, POS, Gaming....without that you will not get the information you are truly seeking.

Virtually everything today is "client/server" its the requirements that drive the actual technology behind it.

Not to forget to be able to use different development strategies, such as Scrum, XP, or maybe the waterfall model as well. As someone mentioned above, the customers are getting more and more demanding and therefore requires as you mentioned up-to-date skills.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1