5 Replies - 669 Views - Last Post: 24 February 2009 - 08:32 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Decide site width before or after designing a site layout graphically?

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:12 AM

Well simple i'm finally having my school holidays and i decided to do a website of my own
Using html and css only unless aboslute necessary then i'll use fireworks for rollover image which will then include java script...
Ok enough of my story.

Do you decide on a site's width first of do the layout graphically first then decide on the width?

Basically i have a width of 700+ on my mind to cater for user with resolution of 800x600 till 1680x1050 +
I plan to position the 700px width site in the center.

However i may seriously consider a fluid width layout...which leads to my question...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Decide site width before or after designing a site layout graphically?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Decide site width before or after designing a site layout graphically?

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

Decide on site width after. Make a layout with everything you want on it and see how wide it comes out to be. That way you know that all the information you want to fit on the page will fit. Then you can decide if you want to make it that width, shrink it, or expand it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:21 AM

I'm worried if i spend my time on a really nice looking layout then later decide to make it fluid width then there might be a problem.

It is my first time attempting it also...i have absolute no idea which part to slice....well i guess i'll just have to try it first.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• awake ? web();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:27 AM

You should always design the site to be usable for the lowest common denominator. That doesn't mean that it has to look it's best at that size, but it must retain all of its functionality. I mainly work for companies in the video games industry, and we accept that the lowest size that we try to support at full functionality is 1024x768. Allowing for browser toolbars and such, that gives you a workable area of about 1000x560.

In my opinion you have to be careful of totally fluid layouts, as a lot of users these days use widescreen monitors with resolutions or 1920x1080 and higher. From time to time I will use a little javascript to prop up the poorly supported max-width css rule to ensure that a fluid layout stops at a certain width.

Regarding your image rollovers, there is no need to use javascript. Rather than using images on the page, use background images and change them using the :hover selector. I try to avoid using javascript as much as possible, only on certain browsers to back up their crappy css support.

This is a decent css only technique, although I would use a second stylesheet in conditional comments to correct IE5, rather than using a hack in the main css.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:18 AM

Talking about java script....if putting a java script code like those generated from fireworks in a .js file will it be better? or should i put the code in the html file itself?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• awake ? web();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:32 AM

If it's going to be used on more than one page then you should have it in an external file. If not, it doesn't really matter, it really just depends how tidy you are! I would really advise you to avoid using javascript for this sort of thing though, it's a very heavy handed way of doing things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1