• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

52 Replies - 6568 Views - Last Post: 06 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

• member icon

• View blog

Salary - What is it really like?

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:51 PM

I know this isn't something asked every day... but I know damn well that a lot of the salary statistic sites boost their stats to glorify things. I understand some people may view it as too personal to want to share, but what I am getting at here is this:

I worked as a Network Systems Analyst for 5 years... and only received one raise the entire time. I was paid $10.50 / hour, but it was a salary job. I made $350 / week, no matter how much over or under my required time I work.

My question is this:

How much is a realistic salary AFTER I get my degree? I am just starting college (I dropped out because the job I had kicked ass, but now I want my degree so I can make the big bucks) and want to ask real professionals in the field about what to expect when I get out of college.

If you are open to discuss this info, include the following:

Job Title:
Salary:
Hours worked (per week):
Days worked (schedule):
Shift times (schedule):
Vacation days:
Sick days:
Personal days:
Location (State is fine):
General living expenses in area (just rent is fine):
Education:
Years of experience in field:

I'm just trying to get a sense of where I should move to, how much money I'm looking at getting paid, how much it is going to cost to live in that area, and any other random information you feel necessary.

This post has been edited by pr4y: 26 February 2009 - 08:20 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Salary - What is it really like?

• member icon

• View blog

Re: Salary - What is it really like?

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

Kind of surprised that there has only been 10 views on this topic... anyone?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

There is a similar topic here:

http://www.dreaminco...h...8&hl=salary

It does not contain some information you asked for, but the idea is pretty much the same, so you can take a look there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:32 PM

lol, you beat me too it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

While that thread is interesting... it doesn't cover the other aspects of this topic that I'm interested in finding out. Also, that thread is dead... and with the economy the way it is today, a thread from over a year ago isn't a very reliable resource.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:07 PM

Just want to add my 2 cents from personal experience. Take my advice when I say that you don't need a college degree to make the big bucks. Granted a college degree will help you get your foot in the door when interviewing with companies. If you can prove to interviewers that you will provide the best business value over the other candidates, with or without a degree, you can earn the same amount as anyone else. Don't let anyone ever tell you different. We all know that in our field, Software Development in general, that hands on experience is far superior than any degree. That has become apparent to middle management in the past few years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:14 PM

View PostRyan Marfone, on 25 Feb, 2009 - 08:07 PM, said:

Just want to add my 2 cents from personal experience. Take my advice when I say that you don't need a college degree to make the big bucks. Granted a college degree will help you get your foot in the door when interviewing with companies. If you can prove to interviewers that you will provide the best business value over the other candidates, with or without a degree, you can earn the same amount as anyone else. Don't let anyone ever tell you different. We all know that in our field, Software Development in general, that hands on experience is far superior than any degree. That has become apparent to middle management in the past few years.

As much as I'd love to believe what you just said... I spent 3 years out of high-school before enrolling in college. I got lucky by having a dad fairly high ranked in a corporation that owns chains of motels, and got a position as the Lead Network Systems Analyst. After I left that job, I spent 6 months applying to EVERY job I could find within a 300 mile radius.

I have sent my resume to upwards of 100 software design companies, and even given my experience (10 years of programming) and references, I didn't get a SINGLE returned call.

In the real world, you do need a degree. Varying levels of ability along WITH a degree determines wether or not you get a job... but I couldn't even get an internship, with ANYONE.

I'm starting to believe it might be my location. I live in maine... There is maybe 1 software company in all of maine? I started applying like I said to anything within a 300 mile radius. Most of the jobs I found from monster.com and other job / help wanted sites... and every single one of them wanted to see my degree before they would even consider me.

I will agree that I could find a job with SOMETHING to do with computers... as I did find a few data entry and VERY low level tech support positions... but I'm not going to work my ass off for 50 hours a week to bring home a $7.50 / hour salary. Fuck that, not worth it, not with my abilities, not in a million years.

I understand that everybody has to start somewhere... but it's just unrealistic to think that I'll get any sort of a decent job in the software design industry without a 4 year degree.

This post has been edited by pr4y: 25 February 2009 - 09:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:16 PM

I would tend to disagree -- you don't NEED a degree. But you do need a way to demonstrate what you can do. Just sending in resumes you will need something to make them look at you. Job postings list requirements and unfortunatly they really have to stick pretty close to those requirements else they open themselves up to legal action by disgruntled would-be-employees.

So sending an unqualified resume in response to a job posting usually results in immediate circular file. The only time this changes is when they are not getting ANY qualified candidates.

When I was in the Navy though I used to get job offers all the time. No degree needed because the could see me in action. I was a subject expert in my field and as the various contractors worked with me I collected a large collection of business cards.

However after school I had a hard time getting a job because all of the positions were looking for "professional experience" of which mine was 5 years old. I would actually say that it is far easier to move from one job to another than from school into the workforce.

I think that is probably even more true in today's economy. In the IT industry it is easy to get burned by lousy employees. Employers need to see something to give them assurances.

My best advice to people coming into the market now is to get experience by any means possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:40 AM

I programmed (properly) for a year as a hobby then got a job. No degree. No college education.

Minimum wage in a trainee position, but I'm still only 18 ~ got a long way to go. :)

(I'm a software/web developer)
I work 8am - 5pm with an hour break + any time in between.
Monday - Friday.
UK.

This post has been edited by gabehabe: 26 February 2009 - 07:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:48 AM

Let me be the first to actually do what you requested. Here's the info you're looking for.. with a few added:

Job Title: Senior Web Developer
Salary: $27,600/year
Tax Rate: 22.5%
Hours worked (per week): In-office: 42.5, Out-of-office: 20+
Days worked (schedule): In-office: 5, out-of-office: 7
Shift times (schedule): In-office: 8:30-5, out-of-office: varies
Vacation days: None
Sick days: None
Personal days: None
Insurance: None
Bonuses: None
Raises in the last year: 1 ($2,600/year)
Location (State is fine): Johnstown, Pennsylvania (near Pittsburgh)
General living expenses in area (just rent is fine): Rent: $550/mo., Utilities: ~$800/mo. (Upscale suburb)
Education: Multiple CS degrees, multiple certifications and available portfolio
Years spent searching for full-time in my field: 12 (Last 2 spent freelancing)

I realize it's not networking, but it is IT. And I can tell you I get paid rather well in comparison to our network staff... I'm surprised those poor fellas can afford to eat.... I could make considerably more in Pittsburgh, but it will also cost significantly more to live there.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:59 AM

Thanks Benign!

As I did describe in my original post, I mentioned that I had a previous job as a network systems analyst... I am now a freelance programmer, looking for something in the software applications / web development field. Sorry for the confusion there :P

Thanks for the information though! That is about the idea I had for a realistic salary in today's work force... most resources online point to $35,000 - $40,000 as a STARTING salary, and I knew that was WAY off.

It's good to see that I'm not setting unrealistic goals, because at this point... I'd be more than happy with a job paying $25,000...

Thanks again!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:12 AM

Job Title: Information Systems Diagnostics & Support (IT/IS)
Salary: $42,000 yr.
Hours worked (per week): 45-50
Days worked (schedule): 5-7
Shift times (schedule): 8am - 5pm + on-call
Vacation days: 2 weeks
Sick days: 3
Personal days: 2
Location (State is fine): Greater Minneapolis-St. Paul Area, Minnesota
General living expenses in area (just rent is fine): Typical rent for a single person dwelling (1 bedroom) is $550-$700 a month.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:20 AM

Marko, if you don't mind my asking, what is your level of education and how many years of experience in the field you have?

I'll add those to the list!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:27 AM

I have a Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification, but no college degree. I have about 4 years of on-the-job experience in the IT field.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:51 AM

From my days at the bank

Job Title: Programmer Analysis I
Salary: $47,000 yr.
Hours Worked (Week): 40
Days Worked: 5 on call 24/7 1 week out of the month.
Shift: 8am - 5pm
Vacation Days: Depends on time there 16 days for me.
Sick & personal Days: Depends on time. I had 10
Diggs: (Considered cheap believe it or not) 1500 Sq. Ft. 3 br. Townhome 819.00 month.

edit - had this job before I got my Bachelor's in Individual Studies.

now I work as IT/Web Admin making about 8.00 hr less

This post has been edited by Nykc: 26 February 2009 - 08:53 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »