Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Salary - What is it really like?

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

So... what does it take to make ~$100k as a programmer? And is it unreasonable to start out with $60k?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

I've found two things to be a major factor in salary - location, and company.

What I mean is that location can drive a salary up to 60k pretty easily, but that's not much more helpful than making 45k somewhere much cheaper.

Some companies also just value software devs more. I would say that 60k is relatively doable in most somewhat populated areas if you have the title Software Engineer, but there are a lot of qualifiers on that.

100k usually takes A) being in a city and B) working for a company with spending power and the desire to retain talent.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

Compare cost of living indexes. My area to San Francisco is ~1.6x more expensive. $45,000 * 1.82 = $81,900. So for someone like me to move to an area like that it would take a substantial raise in supposed pay grade to get me to remotely consider. Frequently I have recruiters tell me how amazing it is to have $60,000 jobs in that area and I blow them off fast because honestly I'd be taking a pretty huge loss.

Now combine that with an offer I have for ~$70,000 to move in to Web Development in an area with a 1.1 ratio I'd be taking $49,500 equivalent. That gives me about a $20,000 gain, which would be one heck of a better idea. To put that into perspective from that area to SF CA it'd be 1.64x meaning an equivalent of $114,800 to break even, which means I would be at that level. (To be fair, given my years of experience, it would be odd to see those figures. This is disregarding countless hours of studying and other things that make that number more of a number to ignore than give any credence to.)

Cost of Living Indexes are HUGE when considering a move to a different area, but only a good starting point. You have to do more research than that to really be able to find out if you're getting a good deal or getting hosed by a silver tongued recruiter just trying to raise the body count.

(To calculate COLI quickly, use Wolfram Alpha with a Query like: cost of living nowhere ks versus san francisco ca. That will return the relative values and a lot of other useful information for a quick glance when you're on the phone with a recruiter or otherwise.)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

Would it be smart or practical to seek a job in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, or New York, while living in borderline poverty for a few years before moving somewhere comparatively cheap?

Also, have any of you turned down a management position because you enjoy coding so much? Or would you jump on such a position if it was offered to you? I know some people who prefer to be "peons" because managing people and dealing with corporate politics apparently sucks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#52 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

Also, have any of you turned down a management position because you enjoy coding so much? Or would you jump on such a position if it was offered to you? I know some people who prefer to be "peons" because managing people and dealing with corporate politics apparently sucks.

I've turned down management positions (in favor of coding) because the management situation I would be walking into sounded like a nightmare. I won't jump just because it says management.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

My dad has turned down numerous Management positions in favor of staying a senior DBA because he didn't like the bureaucracy of management. Personally though, unless the situation was highly volatile I would jump at the opportunity to move into management.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First