4 Replies - 878 Views - Last Post: 27 February 2009 - 02:24 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best language to learn for this process?

Post icon  Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a quick, and probably very simple question.
What language would be best used to execute the following for a web based game? A picture of an animal and when user purchases a certain accessory, lets say a blue collar, the picture of the blue collar is then displayed on the existing image so it looks like animal is actually wearing collar. I have php and MySQL database configured to website already. I was advised either javascript or actionscript, is one better than the other or is it a matter of choice? I am learning the basics of both at the moment, so once that has sunk in I can progress. Also is there a specific name for this process?

Thanks for your time.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best language to learn for this process?

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best language to learn for this process?

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

I think the script actually applies all the layers of images onto a buffer, and then displays a single image with all the items drawn in the proper order. Gaia Online, and MapleStory (Rankings Page) both return single images after drawing layer by layer all of the character's equipment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:52 AM

Ok, thanks - that makes sense, I will go check out those 2 sites. So is flash and AS or javascript the best language to learn for this? I was recommended both, but did not get an explanation as to which one was the better. Or is it personal preference?

Thanks in advance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:42 AM

I think the bitmap generator is a server-sided language, most likely PHP. It could be an application that loads several images from the server and combines them on the user's machine (flash / javascript) though. You would have to load each individual image (equipment, character, ect.) and then put it all together and show the results.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:24 PM

Right I got it, thanks very much!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1