2 Replies - 735 Views - Last Post: 26 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

The programming job experience

Post icon  Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

Hello I am a student in college majoring in computer science. I plan on starting a career in programing when i graduate and i was wondering something. Does the job normally require a lot of working outside the workplace, like at home?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The programming job experience

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The programming job experience

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:32 PM

That would depended entirely on your employer. I've only had one just where I was given work to complete at home. Some other jobs, depending on the severity & coverage of the work I was doing, I would be "on-call" & given a laptop & mobile phone. But these were support jobs, & not just programming. Usually a programming job is salary based pay, with deadlines. So how you complete the work is up to you, just so long as you meet the deadline.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The programming job experience

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

I work mostly from home. For me it depends upon our customer -- some customers want us on-site where they can glance at their watches when we come in and leave. Oddly enough you would think that they are look to see if you coming in late and leaving early so they can complain -- but generally they want to know that you are not going over the 40hrs/wk they calculated for the project. -- what I find odd about that is that I generally work much longer hours from home and still only charge the 40 -- so whatever -- its all their dime. So long as I meet my deadlines and attend al my meetings my boss really does not care how I organize my time (at home or the customer site).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1