Create website from where to begin

Page 1 of 1

12 Replies - 1611 Views - Last Post: 27 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Create website

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:45 AM

Hello Everyone
I want to create a website. But i am not sure from where to begin, which software to use, where to get web space, where to get domain.
Please help me.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Create website

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Create website

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

The software part is pretty simple, all you need to have is a text editor and web browser. For getting web space and a domain, that will cost some money (at least if you are wanting anything serious), I use bluehost.com. There are some free ones out there like geocities and freewebs, but they have limitations (as well as ads).

If you want to do anything with databases and server side apps then you will likely want to buy a domain.

Things you will want to know:
HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP (or another server side language) and SQL

HTH
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:34 AM

Sometimes the easiest thing to do is to use a site like GoDaddy who handles both domain registration and hosting. As far as developing the site is concerned...You first need to ask yourself what technologies are you wanting to use. This will help you when trying to determine what type of server you will want to request.

Are you only hosting static html pages? If so, then either a Windows or Linux Server will work.

Are you wanting to generate content dynamically using server side code?
If so, then what language would you prefer to write with?
With a Windows server you can use ASP.NET pages and write your server side logic in C# or VB.NET.
With a Linux server you can generally use php, an Java technologies.

But this all depends on the package you purchase from your provider so make sure you check these things out before buying something.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• $bert = new DragonUnicorn(); $bert->rawr();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:31 PM

unless you have purchased a domain already I would advise that you stay away from godaddy.com they have been known to steal domains that they think are good, tell you they have been taken after taking it for themselves and or registering your domain in their name.

When it comes to software I would recommend using dreamweaver to manage and sync files, design and add to your site with ease. Front page is also a good program but you wont have the full support of adobe products. the downside of these is money but there are ways that you can spend less. there is the notepad and IE method but it is very tedious. coffeecup is a cheap solution.

Fatcow - http://www.fatcow.co...o.bml?offer=OPI
blue host - http://www.bluehost.com/
host monster - host monster http://www.hostmonster.com/

And for something more Canadian
http://hostpapa.ca
Host Papa

sorry about the linking i got a little carried away
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

@calebj: GoDaddy has been my registrar for many years now and I have yet to have a problem with them. I currently have 7 domains registered with them (have had one since 2001) and love the service I get from them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• $bert = new DragonUnicorn(); $bert->rawr();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:55 AM

i currently have two with them im just saying that somethings are a little shady with them from what i hear, i didnt mean to offend.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:02 AM

Try www.w3schools.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:47 PM

View Postcalebj, on 28 Feb, 2009 - 08:31 PM, said:

unless you have purchased a domain already I would advise that you stay away from godaddy.com they have been known to steal domains that they think are good, tell you they have been taken after taking it for themselves and or registering your domain in their name.

When it comes to software I would recommend using dreamweaver to manage and sync files, design and add to your site with ease. Front page is also a good program but you wont have the full support of adobe products. the downside of these is money but there are ways that you can spend less. there is the notepad and IE method but it is very tedious. coffeecup is a cheap solution.

Fatcow - http://www.fatcow.co...o.bml?offer=OPI
blue host - http://www.bluehost.com/
host monster - host monster http://www.hostmonster.com/

And for something more Canadian
http://hostpapa.ca
Host Papa

sorry about the linking i got a little carried away

I used DreamWeaver for half of my web design class and thought that hand coding everything was a lot easier and gave you more control
I don't know maybe I just didn't use it long enough to appreciate it ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:54 PM

mono, the way to exist with dreamweaver is to ignore anything WYSIWYG related.

i code 100% in the code window, but having ftp / test sites / server access / managing multiple projects ... plus the integration with the rest of the adobe suite makes it worthwhile.

alot of people hate dreamweaver, but i think thats the stigma associated with WYSIWYG. (though i probably won't tell anyone in an interview that i'm for it)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

I use a mix of Sharepoint Designer or Visual Studio, depending on what language I'm working in.

I've never used dreamweaver, and I agree that the WYSIWYG method is pretty poor in comparison to learning the code. HTML has a pretty low learning curve for beginners--at least for ones that don't expect their page to look professional starting out--and there are a LOT of websites that have code examples (view-> source) and more that have tutorials.

I swear by Bluehost, which was already cited. They don't put any real limitations on you, they have fantastico (an automated script feature, so installing forums, blogs, etc is a cinch). They're a little higher then most hosts on a month-per-month basis, but you get what you pay for, and they're fantastic :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:47 PM

Who are you planning on creating a site for?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:16 PM

When designing a site as stated above all you need is a text editor (say notpad, wordpad or textpad) any will work.

Then as a simple example write this:
<html>
<head>
<title>
Testing
</title>
</head>

<body>
Hello World
</body>
</html>

When you have done that save as a ".htm" or ".html" file (no quotes). This MUST be there or you will save as a text file. Then find the file and open with your browser.

'Hello World' should appear on the screen and the bar at the top should say 'Testing'.

Thats the basic start.

From there you can do a lot of the basics (images, paragraphs and headings) from the stuff learned at w3schools otherwise you may want to invest in Adobe's Website Design Suite or a different design program (I use dreamweaver).

Draw out what you want to do and keep in mind your abilities and what you are trying to accomplish. Don't do the extra (usually visual effects and scripts) stuff last. This way you can get a functional site as soon as possible.

Always have a plan and follow it.

The easiest place to start depends on what you want to do. If you want a basic informative site then start with the information you want to use (Dreamweaver even lets you import documents directly into your site!). From there make it look good and navigation.

The biggest problem with a site is that it does not meet one of these guidelines:

-Appearence : The site is appealing to the eye. No clutter and a color scheme.

-Navigation : The site can be navigated around easily.

-Text Amount : The amount of text can be daunting and will make surfers avoid your site just becouse they don't want to read (like this post will do to some people)

-Coordination : Information is arranged well and actually makes sense. If you talk about dogs, cats and a Jaguar (the car) change it.

This post has been edited by runewake2: 26 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

you have given valuable information regarding web development in this site.you can check this also it will be useful..

web development services
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1