3 Replies - 1279 Views - Last Post: 05 March 2009 - 07:52 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

what component for asp.net can do grid

Post icon  Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:19 PM

Dear Expert , I want some component of ASP.NET that can do grid like master/detail in same page
please recommen, the key is the component must free of charge
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: what component for asp.net can do grid

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: what component for asp.net can do grid

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:13 PM

ASP.NET has two components built into it that do this, it's the DetailsView Control and the GridView Control :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:37 AM

Use GridView and Detailview controls provided with ASP.NET 2.0 and 3.5..They are meant for data to be shown in master/detail fromat only :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:52 AM

View Postchakritpr, on 3 Mar, 2009 - 11:19 PM, said:

Dear Expert , I want some component of ASP.NET that can do grid like master/detail in same page
please recommen, the key is the component must free of charge

Chakritpr,
The tools that Windows provides for the ASP.Net environment are very basic. Below i will explain some of the uses for these controls but you might want to go to ASP.Net website for detailed properties, functions, and other fun stuff they inherit.

Easy to Use controls with Adapters

GridView w/ DetailsView
Gridview will show you a table of data with as many columns as you have setup via an adapter (SQL, ODBC, Access, etc) and you can setup an event for when the user clicks the row that it can take that row and further populate information in a DetailsView the can either be on a page of its own or if you have the room, make it viewable to the right of the GridView. This is proabably the most common usage of what you want done for the Master/Detail view. The key here is on the GridView you only populate it with minimal information that would allow the user to be able to select that data and then with the DetailsView you expand the information they clicked (whether for viewing or editing). Again goto the ASP.Net website for tutorials and some basic understanding

DataGrid w/DetailsView
The DataGrid is similar to the GridView but not very robust. I would almost say that the GridView inherits the DataGrid and then piles on some other functional pieces. This solution would probably best suite the Intermediate programmer as the DataGrid allows for flexibility and not a whole lot functionality that they arent going to use, therefore reducing in effect load times (even though it may be negligable in real-time, its the sum total that most of us look at :) ) and cache size. Again goto the ASP.Net website for detail examples, tutorials, and explanation of components included with these controls.

ListView-Repeater w/DetailsView
This is an extreme functionality that i have personally not used but have had friends that have coupled these two together to create an expandable list for the project they were working on. This is probably the second best reduction on control overhead that i have seen/heard about.

Table w/Table
This is for those Extremely Expert Guru types that dont like pre-fab controls and like to develop there control on the fly. This will in effect enable you to add the functionality that you want or need, as you want. This is not to be used by the faint of heart programmers (hobbyist or beginners) as this requires an understanding of how to add properties, subs, and functions to a control via a user-defined control type (*.ascx) and a knowledge of how to implement them accordingly. WARNING: This operation should not be tried at home but should only be used by professionals in a controlled environment :)

You can also look at using the AJAX control toolkit in conjunction with any of the above suggested control sets. AJAX is a Intermediate/Advanced control extension set. I would suggest you get a grasp on the basics and get to using control interaction under your belt before you seriously awaken you senses with AJAX. It can be a sweet set of control extension but at the same point if handled incorrectly and not implemented correctly can create a systematic nightmare for you.

Have a good day and always check for the "Blue Light Specials" in your local web-mart.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1