7 Replies - 876 Views - Last Post: 07 March 2009 - 02:06 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

D or something else?

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:25 AM

Well recently I've been doing a lot of php programming, and this is after using c++ and I have to say its a big switch, data management is a lot easier and a lot more built in functions. But I think wouldn't use it for other development, c# is better used for win development (avoiding mono). so I've been looking at some other languages instead, thinking of trying out D it seems to be muti platform and the same power/usability as java/c#/c++. The only down side is as far as I know their is no GUI libraries for it. especially multi platform, I wonder if QT would work for it?

What do you guys think? Basically needing a robust/fast language that can build programs where the system isn't heavily loaded from running it, such as interpreted ones if that makes sence.

Thank you,
Musya

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: D or something else?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: D or something else?

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:05 PM

View Postmusya, on 4 Mar, 2009 - 01:25 AM, said:

Well recently I've been doing a lot of php programming, and this is after using c++ and I have to say its a big switch, data management is a lot easier and a lot more built in functions. But I think wouldn't use it for other development, c# is better used for win development (avoiding mono). so I've been looking at some other languages instead, thinking of trying out D it seems to be muti platform and the same power/usability as java/c#/c++. The only down side is as far as I know their is no GUI libraries for it. especially multi platform, I wonder if QT would work for it?

What do you guys think? Basically needing a robust/fast language that can build programs where the system isn't heavily loaded from running it, such as interpreted ones if that makes sence.

Thank you,
Musya

There are several very good GUI libraries for D. DWT, I think there are GTK bindings. There is an entire site dedicated to open source D projects called dsource.org. It has everything you'd need for the language, and lot's of other fun stuff. Even a web framework. I'd also recommend you check out the Tango standard library. They are working on making it so that Tango and Phobos can be used side by side in the same program. If they haven't already finished that then it will be done in the near future. D is an interesting language and I would have to call it a better designed C++. If it had the library support C++ does I'm sure D would be in widespread usage.

Have fun.

EDIT:

Also, I have to do this you guys. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Check out Haskell for a robust and fast language. When you don't need all that speed, check out Clojure, a modern LISP implemented on the JVM.

This post has been edited by Raynes: 04 March 2009 - 11:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:44 AM

I thought D uses the c/c++ libraries? And I will check that one out, and it does seem very powerful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

It's a pretty okay language. D can use /any/ C library but only certain C++ libraries.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:26 AM

you dont seem to be impressed by it? or like it much. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:06 AM

View Postmusya, on 7 Mar, 2009 - 02:26 AM, said:

you dont seem to be impressed by it? or like it much. :D

D is a pretty great language. I would choose it over C++ in a hot second. It's basically what C++ should have been. It's a better designed C++ but still suffers from the same problems that the C++ model suffers from. The D community is full of nice helpful people, but it never seems to get bigger. I can't see D becoming mainstream because it gets no virtual ink these days. I love D, it just got boring after while as did C++ (for me), so I moved on to studying functional languages. I'll probably get back too D one of these days.

D is trying to move towards the future but it seems to be stuck in the present. I just can't see D getting any more popular than it is now. I hope it proves me wrong.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:31 PM

It would be nice to have an IDE with gui building options with D as the language for both windows dev and linux dev. and by IDE I mean one like Visual Studio, its pretty awsome, can be a bit slow but pretty awsome, just its stuck in windows only.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:06 PM

View Postmusya, on 7 Mar, 2009 - 11:31 AM, said:

It would be nice to have an IDE with gui building options with D as the language for both windows dev and linux dev. and by IDE I mean one like Visual Studio, its pretty awsome, can be a bit slow but pretty awsome, just its stuck in windows only.

There is an IDE with a GUI builder. Entice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1