IP Conflict

Much needed advice...

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 2019 Views - Last Post: 04 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

IP Conflict

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me out concerning a wireless network at home. I know absolutely nothing about networks at all and on my PC I sometimes get a message telling me there is an IP Conflict because of others trying to access the network, you'll excuse me for not wording that literally word for word, but that's the gist of the thing. Is this an issue that needs to be dealt with? If so, how can I deal with it?
Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. In anticipation, many thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: IP Conflict

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: IP Conflict

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:13 AM

Since you said that you don't know much about networks, I'm going to take a guess that your router is running DHCP. The reason why that's important, is because the DHCP server is what assigns the addresses to the nodes on your network. If it is in fact running DHCP, then there should never be two nodes with the same IP, for the simple fact that the DHCP server would never hand out the same address twice. Also, it's important to note which type of router you have, but generally they have a limit of 100 ips on a given subnet, & if you are using a class D subnet (which most do), then you've got 256 (minus the broadcast, & minus one for the router itself) possibilities.

Also, since you said you are using wireless, this is important to note, because it's more likely for someone to be trying to gain access to your network. My advice would be power cycle the router & your modem, & turn off all wireless devices other than your single pc. This will assure that you are the only node on the network. If you continue to get the messages, then either someone is tampering with your network, or... something is really goofed up.

See if you can make a note of the address that you are using, & the address that is doubling up. Any other details or information would be really useful as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:27 AM

Hey,

How may computers have access to your network? is anyone else in the house using the network when you get the messages? I think that your problem could be caused by one of the computers having a static IP address.

When a computer joins a network it is usually assigned an IP by the DHCP server as no2pencil said. However, if the computer is set up to use a static IP addess it says "nope, I don't want that crappy address, I'm having this one!" and uses whatever IP it has been set to use. Because its so weedy the DHCP server simply says "fine, do what you want, its not like anyone ever listens to me anyway..." and lets your computer get away with it.

The problem is that unless the DHCP server has been configured to prevent it from assigning your static address to another computer, there is always the possibility that it will happen.

For example, lets say you have 5 computers on your home network, all connected to your wireless router. one of these has a static IP (we'll call it computer A and its IP address is 192.168.1.4) and the rest use the DHCP server. Whenever computer A logs on it always has the same address, regardless of who else is logged on. All of the other computers get a new address depending on how many computers are using the network (i.e first computer to log on gets 192.168.1.1, second computer gets 192.168.1.2 and so on).

Now, what happens if there are 4 computers connected, including computer A, and another wants to connect? The DHCP server gives the new computer the address of 192.168.1.4, which is the same as computer A's address! This could be the problem that you are having. I'd suggest checking all of your computers to make sure they are not using a static IP address and if one is, set it to use DHCP to retrieve an address from the network - after that you should have no more problems.

If none are using static IP's, there is a chance that you have been targeted by a hacker. However, if this is the case it is more likely that he/she/they/it already has full access and is using a static IP on they're machine. Attacks on wireless networks usually use the MAC address, not IP addresses to gain entry. In this case I would recommend changing your wireless key, upgrading to WPA if your router supports it and changing your passwords on the net as a precaution as well. Once your running WPA you should have no further problems with hackers because its much more secure than WEP.

Hope this helps!

This post has been edited by numeric: 07 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:07 AM

Try browsing to 192.168.2.1 (should be the ip of your router) and see if you can see the IPs and MAC addresses of all pcs connected. You should also turn on wireless security as that will keep unwanted users off your network. The instructions that came with your router will tell you how to do that. Also, you want to change your router admin password so that others can't change the settings.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

View PostPwn, on 9 Mar, 2009 - 08:07 AM, said:

Try browsing to 192.168.2.1 (should be the ip of your router)

This is the standard ip for Belkin routers. Others use 192.168.1.1, others use 192.168.1.100.

Check the documentation that came with your device.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:18 AM

View Postsam.adams61, on 4 Mar, 2009 - 10:03 AM, said:

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me out concerning a wireless network at home. I know absolutely nothing about networks at all and on my PC I sometimes get a message telling me there is an IP Conflict because of others trying to access the network, you'll excuse me for not wording that literally word for word, but that's the gist of the thing. Is this an issue that needs to be dealt with? If so, how can I deal with it?
Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. In anticipation, many thanks.

go to your router setting's, easy tio find online.
setup each pc to have its own ip when connected,
its really easy if you need help message me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:08 AM

If you havent done any of the above, make sure you unplug everytime your done with the internet (unless its unlimited).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:02 PM

here it is easy:

take a look around all your ip settings and make sure that are not two identical ip addresses (thats the conflict).

to fix it, increase the last number by 1, or until it is not the same as any other address, this method should hopefully work.

p.s this only works if ip adresses are assigned manually, other wise i would just reccomend disabling the notification, if you computers working fine, then so is it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

View Postsam.adams61, on 4 Mar, 2009 - 12:03 PM, said:

I know absolutely nothing about networks at all

DingleNutZ : the above statement (by the op) says to me that he's running a DHCP network, & checking the ips & altering them manually is out of the question as a solution. He hasn't replied int he last three months, so I'm assuming that either the router corrected the issue, or he can't get back on the internet at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1