Java Multiplayer 2D Game

How to go from a Java near-zero to hero in a few weeks?

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 7361 Views - Last Post: 11 March 2009 - 09:49 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Java Multiplayer 2D Game

Post icon  Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:09 AM

For school, have been assigned to program a "distributed simulator" which could be implemented as a game. After speaking with some, I have chosen to implement a "multiplayer" game
(ie. minimum 2 - will likely demonstrate the distributed potential with two players, on different machines on a common network), where players can collaborate on "attacking/shooting" the one computer/algorithm-driven enemy target in a simple 2D game area. On the assignment, I am given free reign on choice of programming language, platform / OS, topic, etc.. just has to be a "simulator / game", where the play would be distributed. Using my Mac, OS X as the development environment, and downloaded Eclipse JEE 3.4.2, and am perusing what bits I can to understand the proper approach.

Haven't programmed for over 15 years, so took many recommendations to learn Java in double-quick time...

Any suggestions on the "simplest" implementation for a 2-player 2-dimensional Java Game? I have read/tried tutorials on drawing / animating, inputs/outputs.. still learning.. the time/input synchronization is still a worrisome question? Any other websites / tutorials you know of? On tips from one other post, I shall be perusing the java.io, java.net and javax.swing packages.

Is Java the right language or should I just try to re-kindle the C I dabbled with in the early 1990s? (C++ now?)..

-Bald E

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Java Multiplayer 2D Game

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Java Multiplayer 2D Game

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

I think java will take less time to setup something you can use, So for the sake of the assignment its probably a good option.

why not make a 2 player Pong/Paddle game, extremely simple. Graphics are barely important.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:46 AM

C is still a good program, but if you're strapped for time use the Sockets in JAVA. I wrote a starter tutorial on that sort of thing, actually, in JAVA.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 10 March 2009 - 06:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:49 AM

Java has a lot of things (graphics, threads, sockets) built in that you would have to hunt for in other programming languages. While arguably these built-in libraries are not the best, I think that for an assignment like this it does not matter so much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1