8 Replies - 1492 Views - Last Post: 12 March 2009 - 02:48 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

IT / Software Engineering = No Life

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:26 AM

So recently read a post about the top jobs today, and one of them was Software Engineering.

In the comments, one of the members disagreed, according to him, if you get into IT/Software Engineering and similar jobs, you can forget about wife, family, hobbies, etc... because its not a 9 - 5 job but a 24 - 56 hour job.

Anyone in this industry?

Is this somewhat true?

I'm thinking about getting into Software Engineering or some type of computer science field.. so I'm wondering...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: IT / Software Engineering = No Life

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: IT / Software Engineering = No Life

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:28 AM

All the software developers I have known had wives, kids, nice houses, cars and were happy.

So I disagree. I am currently an IT/Administrator and was happier when I was a software developer and 8.00 an hour richer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:34 AM

Maybe it was just his job, because according to him, there were always impossible deadlines made where a software needed to be developed to do xyz and they had to stay there pretty much all day.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• May Your Swords Stay Sharp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:27 AM

That is an example of a bad job, and one in which you want to find another one ASAP.

I say that this here is the good life :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:27 AM

Any job can cause you to "have no life" if you let it consume you. Just like all things in life you must find a balance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

There are times when I really put in the hours... and there are times when I put in a very easy 40hrs. It all depends on what is going on.

But as far as I know this is pretty standard for jobs -- they are what you put into them. I could just to 40 hours each week... but projects would fall behind and deadlines would be missed and eventually I would be let go because I was not putting in the effort...

I could also put in 70 hours every week and get a reputation as a real "go-getter" and be assigned to 3-5 projects at a time and be first in line for all of the awards and promotions and get an ulcer and all the other effects of too focused a life (lots of money but not able to enjoy it?).

I choose to do what it takes to keep my projects on target and my family life happy. It is true that the guy doing the 70 hrs a week got the promotion I was hoping for... but what the hell he really went out there and earned it (and he made less then I did to begin with).

I also know a guy who does a very strict 40 hrs a week but probably does as much as most people could do in 70 hours -- no chance of anyone accusing him of not putting in the effort.

This post has been edited by NickDMax: 11 March 2009 - 09:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

It varies widely depending on what industry you are in. Game developers have a reputation for having to deal with really hard deadlines and putting in large amounts of hours. Other industries the deadlines are a lot more comfortable, and if you are working for yourselves, they are whatever you choose to take on.

If you are in IT and the admin for critical systems, you can expect to be pretty much always oncall, though hopefully you shouldn't need to actually put in the extra hours because things won't go wrong.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:36 AM

View Postmocker, on 11 Mar, 2009 - 10:33 AM, said:

If you are in IT and the admin for critical systems, you can expect to be pretty much always oncall, though hopefully you shouldn't need to actually put in the extra hours because things won't go wrong.

Except for the week when you are on call. ;)

I don't miss those days. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:48 PM

Worker smarter, not necessarily longer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +