Linux!

What's your favorite flavor?

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 2084 Views - Last Post: 28 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

• Banned

• View blog

Linux!

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

NOTE: If I have the ability to lock posts, and somebody trolls about, I am going to.

If you use Linux, what's your favorite version?
- Why's it your favorite version?
- Have you ever tried any other versions?
- If so, what other versions have you tried?
- Why did you like, or dislike the version(s) (of Linux)?
- Have you ever tried using Windows?
- If so, why did you quit using it (why do you prefer Linux over Windows)?

Just absolute curiosity.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Linux!

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Linux!

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

Moved to Corner Cubicle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

View PostHyper, on 11 Mar, 2009 - 09:52 PM, said:

Slackware

No package manager is installed. If you want something, you get the tarball (source) & you install it yourself, or it pukes & you fix it yourself. I find that using Slackware, I actually USE Linux, not just boot to it.

Most recently I've used Linux Mint, but I've also ran Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, & some exposure to RedHat.

I don't like gnome or kde being installed out of the box. I like to run Blackbox or Fluxbox... or whatever the hell else I prefer.

I remember when Windows was just the GUI, & a front end for DOS. Then '95 came out & the whole thing went downhill.

When the OS borks up, or something is wrong, in Linux I am able to go in & check it out. There are so many free tools & programs available for Linux! I'm actually running my business, 3 servers (Unix/FreeBSD) & 2 desktops & a Laptop, completely Microsoft free & it hasn't cost me a dime other than hardware.

It is absolutely asinine for me to think that I could pay $200 for a buggy, bloated OS, that I can't even view it's source code to fix their BS for myself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:32 AM

A favorite? That's like a favorite computer language. Each has it's own strengths...

Ubuntu, Arch...

Yes.

There's this site called distrowatch.com. I have VMWare and I'm not afraid to use it. I've probably tried literally hundreds over the years.

I like Ubuntu because I'm lazy. Everything works out of the box, the package tree is loaded, the drivers are up to date, and I never have to compile anything if I don't feel like it.

I like Arch ( and Slackware, and numerous others ) because I can get everything working just so. I might have to compile a lot of on my own stuff, or manually tweak a lot more, but I can. The biggest problem is that it's time consuming; see Ubuntu.

I'm a Windows developer. I use it every day at work. Most companies do, so I'm never escaping it. I run my windows box in VMWare under Linux.

Vista.

Let's be fair, an OS exists to let you get the job done. I can get work done Windows or Linux. On the Linux side I have a rich console environment, a wealth of tools that are more computer geek oriented and no one telling me I can't do something. On Windows I have all the games and every commercial product bending over backwards to work with me. It's really about what's important to you.

My company has a pretty good license package, I can legally install Windows on any machine that's mine, so it's not about cash. Rather, I fundamentally disagree how the company chooses to treat it's customers. I'm not an idiot or a criminal and I rather resent the corporate assumption that I am. The only honest way I have of showing my dissatisfaction with a company is to not use, or endorse, their product.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:59 AM

A: Debian, Ubuntu
A: Debian: It's relatively easy, very stable, and to be frank, was the first distro I really took to...stayed in the habit I suppose. Ubuntu: Out of the box easy, easy to mod, just works!
A: Many of them
A: Too many to name, but slackware, redhat, suse, mandriva are among a few of which I've used extensively.
A: I like using linux because it allows me to a much wider span of control over the operating system, including overhead reduction.
A: Yes I have
A: I did not...I use both platforms (my business environment is Windows based, and one of my home machines as well), it's just that my personal preference is for Linux.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

A: Ubuntu
A: Ubuntu - It just works!
A: Yes several
A: Some of the more popular ones I have tried are Fedora, OpenSuSE, Mint.
A: More control, More customization, less problems.
A: Use it all the time at work.
A: Personal gratification from using an OS I feel is superior to Windows.

Windows is great for the average user, those who want to surf the web, check emails and instant message. Also for those who choose to develop for Windows. However personally I find writing cross platform code a lot less troublesome when you do it in a Linux environment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ???
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

I have only used ubuntu.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

- If you use Linux, what's your favorite version? I don't have a favorite version.
- Why's it your favorite version? N/A
- Have you ever tried any other versions? Yes.
- If so, what other versions have you tried? Slackware, Ubunutu, Gentoo, and Fedora
- Why did you like, or dislike the version(s) (of Linux)? I can't really say I like nor dislike any version.
- Have you ever tried using Windows? Yes.
- If so, why did you quit using it (why do you prefer Linux over Windows)? I do not prefer Linux over Windows, or vise-versa.

I think Windows is fine, and Linux is fine as well. I like the fact that Linux is more "open source" than Windows.
I think it benefits Linux in a way that Windows is missing out. But both Operating Systems are neither "great" nor "terrible."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:32 PM

I would have to say that might favorite version would have to be Ubuntu for really getting me involved in Linux in a serious way. I know that some others have said they don't like having things pre-installed but I actually like that and I think that is the only way your going to get new users to Linux. When a user has 1. no idea how to compile programs from source code 2. unfamiliar with a UNIX type file system 3. unfamiliar with the BASH shell and 4. generally are non-programmer types, you have to have Distros like Ubuntu to have average Joe user to TRY it much less adopt it.

I have tried and like several different versions Red Hat (back when it was Red Hat and not Fedora (valhalla)) and Slackware are among the earliest I have tried. In fact, some of my nostalgia moments come from remote accessing the university "Unix" server (actually it was slackware linux) and trying to interact with the other users who would login. I enjoyed the star trek game as well :).

Anyway, I have recently tried Linux Mint and I really like it. Fedora Core, Ubuntu (will always be a fan of this distro). I have also used SuSe.

I like the package handlers because they are convenient and I don't have to go scouring the web for source code to compile. I just think that it adds more functionality to the system and is a nice feature weather it is apt or yum, it doesn't matter to me.

I do like GNOME, but I can use KDE as well. Terminal and the BASH shell is something I love dearly in Linux. I wish windows had a true shell.

Born and raised on it. I am one of those converts who can successfully use both operating systems.

Well, here is the big tamale. Here is what most of the people waving the Linux banner ten years ago failed to mention when they declared "Linux is better!"

While I haven't quit using windows, there are things I definitely prefer about Linux and here they are:

1. It has a built in compiler. This is something that Microsoft just hasn't caught onto yet. I think this is also why many old school hackers prefer Linux to windows. I mean, yes. I can install a compiler after the fact in windows, but in most distros (all that I have used)a compiler is included. While I don't do any C programming, part of the beauty of Linux is being able to find plenty of code and compile it into your system. (For the record, I am referring to both GNU make and GCC).

2. The Linux Kernel. I cant recompile my windows kernel with the latest greatest updates (although I guess it could be argued that this is done with the "Windows update" feature). I can download any version of the Linux Kernel I want, tweak it for whatever I want or need, and install it to my system. Pretty nifty.

3. Stability in the server environment and being a monolithic kernel. I know that this is delving well beyond the scope of what most people understand about Operating Systems, but this is kind of critical. While Ideally the micro-kernel architecture should be more stable, it often is not due to the separation of user space and kernel space (or lack thereof at times).

4. The software - the real gems of Linux. Apache - while IIS is often included by Microsoft in most of their operating systems, its a pain to install from originally media etc. I like Apache because 1. its usually pre-installed or 2. its easily installed and easy to configure.

MySQL (now owned by Oracle) - this typically comes with most Linux Distros (until Oracle decides its just too cool and you will have to switch to postgreSQL or something). This is a powerful relational database that is easy to use and easily integrated with PHP or whatever apps your using.

Finally, I know this may seem strange and I have mentioned this before, but I really like the BASH shell. I like having the ability to say I would rather grab a terminal session and get something done than go diving through the GUI to get something done. Not to mention the ability to use scripts with it etc.

Oh and did I mention that I don't have to pay $300 for it?

I have to keep spreading the Linux gospel because many people tried to use Linux when the kernel wasn't very well developed and had awful times with their hardware. I try to explain that 2.6 is a very different version of the Linux kernel from what they saw several years ago. Many corporations have developed it as a need for good, solid, affordable software was ever present.

Are their some downsides to Linux?

yes.

1. Games - this is where linux is lacking.

2. the entry level for a pure windows user is extremely high. Your typical Linux user is familiar with the mainframe days or is some kind of programmer usually.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:18 AM

This is a great post!
so informative!

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 28 May 2011 - 02:38 PM
Reason for edit:: Please do not quote extremely long posts.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:52 AM

Why's it your favorite version?

Ubuntu

Have you ever tried any other versions?

Yes

If so, what other versions have you tried?

OpenSUSE, Debian, Slackware. Also used FreeBSD for quite some time.

Why did you like, or dislike the version(s) (of Linux)?

Like Ubuntu, because I actually want to use Linux and not waste time doing/fixing things that are irrelevant to my work. I think I get the best of both worlds with it.

Have you ever tried using Windows?

Always dual boot it. Gotta have Windows just in case.

If so, why did you quit using it (why do you prefer Linux over Windows)?

The tools of Linux is what makes it so powerful for me. Also less viruses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

How do you guys even find two year old threads?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1