11 Replies - 1115 Views - Last Post: 16 April 2009 - 02:03 AM

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Magazine tutorials

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:38 PM

Hey, I have been thinking about trying to start up a web based magazine and was wondering if anyone knew a good site (or a few good sites) on how to use Adobe InDesign to make magazines and the like. I have read through the ones at Pixel2Life, but they don't have very many so I would like to see some more.

Things I am especially interested in learning about are how to write articles well, and make them interesting for other people to read.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Magazine tutorials

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Magazine tutorials

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

well writing articles would not at all be related to indesign at all. so...... yeah....

my day job is magazine assistant art director so this is my field.

in the days of shitty ad sales and the death of paper, most magazines use a combination of copywriting skills more so than awesome journalism to be completely honest.

i mean, its just english skills for the writing beyond that, i would say short story type stuff which you can take classes for .

InDesign itself is not complicated to use. If you know the adobe suite, photoshop or illustrator, then the transition is easy you just have to play around with it a little while.

I don't know any specific print-graphic design tutorials. I've thought about writing some here actually but I'm not as knowledgeable in all the details to really write any.

This may sound like too much of a step but if you find a local print shop they can treat you to a walkthrough or something. you have to learn the physical side if you want the design side to make sense (bleeds, margins, in-the-fold) etc..
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:22 AM

DeskTopPub.Com has some InDesign tutorials, as well as LayersMagazine.com. Hope that helps :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for the pointers guys.

Really quick other question, does InDesign offer a thing like Illustrator where you can place/ create a symbol in your file and quickly create a duplicate of it without having to hunt down and copy the original?

I am wondering if there is any way to easily, and quickly create multiple instances of the same object (styles and all) without having to copy and paste it, like having a symbol or library off to the side which contains whatever I specify as a symbol/ object.

At the moment I am using a master page which only contains the object I want to be able to duplicate quickly, applying the master to a page and then breaking the link between the 2 so I can edit the object. I think there has to be a better way of doing this.

Hope that makes sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:24 PM

To place files is ctrl+D or cmd+D for mac. I think that's what your asking right?

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:32 PM

No, I was thinking something more like Flash's Library panel, or Illustrator's Symbols panel that allows you to put things in it and take them out, or take copies out at will.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

Well, just an update for everyone who's interested. I am working through some of it (though it is very slow coming up with artwork and tutorials to place into the magazine) and I think I will have to broaden the topics I will cover to deal with web development and Flash as well as graphic design. As of this point I have a VERY rough article about color in web pages, an idea for a cover story (Minimalist Design) and a single tutorial for After Effects (with sample outputs, and source file) It is a whole 8 pages long and about 15 MB... :)

Progress is super slow becauseat this point I am the only writer on it (would probably help if I had some money to offer potential writers, but considering I haven't even got a site set up fully yet it is slow as all get out)... it is fine, but I may only get through 1 or 2 issues a year at this rate. My idea for issue length is about 10 tutorials, a couple of articles, some tips and tricks and a cover story, along with information about each of the writers (such as what programs they work with and what got them into art).

Well, here is the copy (uploaded on my site due to it taking forever here at DIC, though it still took forever):
http://www.reigningg...es/March_09.pdf

If you have any ideas on how to improve it please feel free to let me know. As stated, I am completely new to this and still trying to get a grasp of what exactly I am attempting to accomplish. With any luck the movies will work when you are viewing them. I am not quite sure it will look and work correctly on a Mac mostly because I don't have one, and I have exported the movies as a *.avi... If the shortcuts are incorrect for the Mac (assuming that anyone who reads it uses a Mac) please let me know. I am assuming that all that is different is the Ctrl key = Cmd, and Alt = Option, but not sure.

If you want to write any articles feel free, I will be happy to give you credit for it (name and BIO in the magazine, along with any images you provide and source files, though please try to keep the BIO to under 2 pages long).

Enjoy :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:59 AM

First off - if you are looking for writers, there are hundreds of talented web developers and designer right here on DIC. Secondly, I don't think that you should be offering this in PDF, I think that it should be an online magazine of sorts - I mean you are talking about the web after all. Just a thought.

Very interesting articles, and I wasn't expecting to get an article about after effects either - nicely done. The one thing that bugged me was the layout of the whole thing - I suggest looking at some Pro mags and duplicating their layouts to an extent. Like on the last page your sentence finishes above the caption of the image. Also, your bracketed tips and controls need more space inside, let it breathe.

I would loose the contents page in the beginning, as their is nothing listed really, also PDF's have bookmarks capabilities.

Also it would be neat to have a clickable PDF, where you have a real looking mag cover with what's inside and you can click on that to take you to that desired page. If you have Adobe Pro all you do is go to Tools > Advanced Editing > Link Tool and from there you can create HTTP requests as well as in-document links.

Also about the file size, if you go to Document > Reduce File Size and then select Adobe 7+ you will greatly reduce the size. I chose version 7 and got it to 230K instead of 450K. Just so you know.

That's it for now, great idea and great progress. Keep it up.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

Okay, I saved this one as a PDF version 7 (it is acautlly .01 MB larger than the last one according to my computer...), took out the contents page, and tried to mimic some of the style of Layers Magazine for layout (though I didn't worry about doing the block grid style they use).

Thanks for the ideas, I hadn't realized that the magazine topic wasn't a link, only the page number was, I changed that. I also added a bookmark. I haven't looked into page transitions yet, but I think they have some built in options.

Here it is:
http://www.reigningg...s/March_09b.pdf

<edit>
Okay, it has page turning options, but only if you use a swf instead of PDF, the only problem there is that it loses the videos I have put in it, probably requires them to be FLV or SWF instead.

Here is a link:
http://www.reigningg...rch_09_01a.html
</edit>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

First off, are you using Adobe PRO 7 to compress the file, in design doesn't compress it the same way.

Also, check out this program - it's 99 bucks but it allows you to place video within the flash page turning document.

http://www.flashpageflip.com/

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

Just a quick update a question with it.

I have been adding a couple more tutorials, and wrote a new article. But I have also started to implement a new format for the tutorials, a 2x2 grid. Do you think it works better than the 2 column one? I also implemented an "inline" layout (render blending with Gimp) and would like thoughts on it.

I updated the compression in ID, and then recompressed with Acrobat (removed like 2.5 MB from the file) but it is still pretty big.

I will take a look into flashpageflip, but at the mometn don't really have the money to spend on it, so that may have to wait until the site is up and running. Then again, I may just stick with standard PDF documents.

Link:
http://reigninggames..._compressed.pdf
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• $bert = new DragonUnicorn(); $bert->rawr();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:03 AM

well when i get some free time i'm sure that i can pump out some articles on cs4 and web design. im also glad that it is in a pdf format. Its something to read on my rugby trip tomorrow.

well when i get some free time i'm sure that i can pump out some articles on cs4 and web design. im also glad that it is in a pdf format. Its something to read on my rugby trip tomorrow.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1