Advice?

How did you get your first job?

Page 1 of 1

14 Replies - 1997 Views - Last Post: 13 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Advice?

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:16 AM

So, I'm finishing up a certification in visual programming, and I've started looking for a job...or internship...either one, with absolutely no leads. It doesn't help that I live in a small city so those jobs are even harder to come by. I know C++, I'm learning Java, and Access....still nothing.

How did you guys get your first jobs? Any advice?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Advice?

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Advice?

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:27 AM

Ugh, now is definitely not the greatest time to be looking for a job, is it?

I also got a certificate from a local polytechnic institute. They offered job placement assistance in the form of recruiters. The recruiter got me in the door and I did the rest. Maybe at a just-starting-out level, recruiters work well, but once you get the experience under your belt you're probably better off using networking, like LinkedIn and the the like.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dirty Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

Just keep applying for positions, even ones that are slightly outside of your scope.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

I live in Wasilla, Alaska - so the jobs are pretty sparse here is well. So I started working for a small web shop in town, added about 50 sites to my resume (most I'm not proud of these days) and I moved on to a much more lucarative position as Web Department Head in Anchorage. So I would just say, take anything in your field - even if it isn't a C based language.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

^let me be the first to say that my company is hiring :P

i got real lucky with getting my foot in the door. I applied for a million tech jobs and actually got a programming job by applying for a tech support job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• straight vegetarian kid

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

i know it's hard to accept, but patience is a virtue, but keep looking for positions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

when will economy pickup its pace any idea friends

EDIT:corrected statements

This post has been edited by prajayshetty: 18 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

I agree with most of the above, apply for as many as you can. Your skills in writing applications will only get better and better.

24-18 months ago I was looking for a job with a fresh degree and no experience. I applied for over 40 jobs around the country and recieved 20 interviews. I ended up being offered 2 jobs and being able to take my pick. I went for country lifestyle!

Patience and Enthusiasm (oh and the ever important, spelling and grammar!)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:18 AM

ya i agree with alaub on that thing try till you get one
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:33 AM

I was really lucky, I starting applying for places around my area and nearer the bigger cities during my final exams at University. Before I sat my last exam, I'd been offered a job which I'm still in. By the time Graduation came about I was already in employment for a month.

I went for a position which I didn't think I'd be able to get but the key is to present yourself correctly on paper and also in person.

Good luck on the job front! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:17 AM

finding the right job is a numbers game, use all methods at ur disposal including employment agencies, but u gotta b prepared to re-locate at least in the short term. whats important in the early days is that u get ur foot in the door and gain experience, so if u dont get quite the IT job u want for the money u want or expect remember that a few years in IT can be a long time so it wont be forever. Ive always found that attitude, enthusiasm and willingness will get u everywhere so stay positive and keep trying ur best and eventually u will get what u want.

GL

Bob
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:53 PM

I know you are going to think I am crazy but I landed my first couple jobs by finding someone that needed help in a forum and offering my services for free the first two weeks or month. It really does pay off in the long run.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:58 PM

My experience may not be useful, but I got a Bachelor's Degree in English Literature and had spent three years working in my college's computer lab so I was able to find a job as a Technical Writer.

When I finished my CompSci degree I already had 1.5 years in the company and had understood the software and the direction the company was going, so I was able to get myself into an open position on the Development team.

But in this economy ... good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

i agree with what everyone is saying. you need to apply to as many jobs as you can. and even apply for jobs you may not be sure you can do. once you get your foot in the door then you can work hard and figure things out for that job. i just took a job and had to learn coldfusion, javascript and xml all last week. so sometimes what you know isnt the most important thing. most employers are looking for someone who works hard and shows initiative. also dont try to land your dream job right away. i have a lot of friends that are trying to do that and they are getting no where. some people are lucky and get exactly what they are looking for but most have to be willing to work at a mediocre job for a couple years to get some experience and then start looking for something better. hope this helps!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:46 PM

Something I don't think has been mentioned here is to participate in open source projects.

By becoming involved in an open source project it sends the message that you like what you do, and can work with others. It can even give your employer some nice code samples.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1