3 Replies - 782 Views - Last Post: 22 March 2009 - 07:07 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Why when I look in design mode of VS 2005

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:07 PM

...does it not look like the page when the browser brings it up? For instance I can get a web page in ASP and CSS to look fine once the page is running in a browser, but when I look at the design page in VS it looks like crap!! This also goes the other way - when experimenting with web pages they look perfect in design mode, but when brought up in a browser they look like crap! Thoughts? Which means is a developer supposed to go by? Browser or design mode? I hope that makes sense. Thank!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Why when I look in design mode of VS 2005

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why when I look in design mode of VS 2005

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

Go by the browser. Design Mode doesn't process any of the styles you've applied. Go by what the browser shows. I never look at them in Design View
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 20 Mar, 2009 - 12:16 PM, said:

Go by the browser. Design Mode doesn't process any of the styles you've applied. Go by what the browser shows. I never look at them in Design View

Great! Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. I wish they would have it so that you could basically set it up in design mode, and it would retain its format across different browsers - I guess that is too much to ask... :rolleyes:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:07 AM

You might look into Visual Web Developer if having a gui design mode is important to your work. http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/ has info. I rarely go into design mode. VS2003 had a gridlayout option that they rethought in 2005. If you want the snap to grid functionality and you are using VS2005, go into Options, Click General under Window Forms designer and select snaptogrid under layout mode. The css rendering I've been able to see in design mode is pretty much differently colored text and some css positioning of my divs.

The other way I see the effects of my layout is ctrl-f5 and run it in the built in webserver (be sure to sets the start page).

View Postpityocamptes, on 20 Mar, 2009 - 12:20 PM, said:

View PostPsychoCoder, on 20 Mar, 2009 - 12:16 PM, said:

Great! Thanks! I was thinking the same thing. I wish they would have it so that you could basically set it up in design mode, and it would retain its format across different browsers - I guess that is too much to ask... :rolleyes:

Was This Post Helpful? 1

Page 1 of 1