4 Replies - 420 Views - Last Post: 21 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

greetings

Post icon  Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

Name's Walt Irby. I live in LA right now, but my wife and I are getting ready to move back home to the East coast (DC area) this summer. I'm educated as a filmmaker, but I am strongly considering switching "careers" to web design -- freelance or full-time for some small, creative company (if this economy and job market will allow either). The reason for making this switch is because I've been working for just that kind of small, creative company for a year and a half now, overseeing its operations, including all web and graphic design, and I find it incredibly intriguing. I am not formally trained, completely self-taught, and this forum seems awesome for keeping that up. See ya around.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: greetings

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: greetings

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

Greetings Walt, this community is a brilliant place to be if you're self-teaching yourself a language like I am. I hope you find the support to keep learning :)

Switching careers is a big step, are you interesting in the design aspect of web developing or the coding side, or a mix of both perhaps?

I wish you well with your career decision, and I hope to see you around the forums :^: Drop by the Caffeine Lounge for a chat with some DIC users :)
Welcome to Dream.In.Code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

Definitely a mix of design and coding. I'd place myself at a beginner-to-intermediate level for both, mostly just self-taught using HTML, CSS, some PHP and some MySQL. I love Coda for editing code and Photoshop for graphic design. My live sites right now are keysundaycinemaclub.com and waltirby.com. I'd love feedback if anyone's got the time... my boss gives me feedback, but he doesn't know code at all... thx.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

I've never been very good at web design or making graphics of any sort, I've always coded a layout someone else has made since I can do the programming side of things.
Nice websites, I'll check them out properly tomorrow. For now, I'm off to get some sleep. :^:

Good luck with your web design job :)

Happy coding!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

Hi! Welcome to Dream.In.Code. My name is Chris. I'm the Webmaster here so if you have any questions about the site, feel free to ask me.

I hope you've had a chance to explore the site, but if not we've got a ton of tutorials and code snippets to look through. And our programming help forums are filled with great people who are happy to help you with any questions you have.

You can fill out your profile by clicking "My Profile" at the top of the page then "Edit My Profile". Upload an avatar, add a signature, and make yourself at home :)

If you get bored, you can check out the Caffeine Lounge (off topic chit chat), Corner Cubicle (professional discussions), or the Student Campus (student discussions).

I hope I see you around the forums and I look forward to getting to know you better! Enjoy Dream.In.Code!

:tup:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1