IIS: error '8002801c' - Error accessing OLE registry

Seems to be common, but I'm getting irritated.

Page 1 of 1

1 Replies - 16026 Views - Last Post: 24 March 2009 - 03:03 AM

• The Real Skynet
  • member icon

• View blog

IIS: error '8002801c' - Error accessing OLE registry

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:12 AM

Okay. A friend of mine set me up with a script written in ASP (not ASP.NET mind you). I couldn't locate a way to hack Apache to work with ASP, so I decided to install IIS to run it so I can make sure everything's working (I plan to convert it over to PHP). I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3.

Upon installing IIS, I attempt to access it to ensure it's working correctly. I am immediately greeted with a login prompt upon connecting to http://localhost. Assuming it's like most new installations, I log in as admin with no password. The login worked, but I am instantly greeted with the following error:

error '8002801c'

Error accessing the OLE registry.

/iisHelp/common/500-100.asp, line 17

Upon locating that file and looking inside it, I see this:

Set objASPError = Server.GetLastError

Looks like a standard error-handling procedure to me, so I'm assuming the problem is something larger. I've Googled this thing, and I keep finding unrelated things regarding the same issue, or people where ASP used to work and doesn't, or some pages work and some don't. Crap about error 36 in the Event Log (but I'm getting no events from IIS at all).

This is my first step venturing into IIS, and it's already leaving me with a sour taste in my mouth. Has anyone encountered this common yet frustrating issue before?

This post has been edited by Valek: 24 March 2009 - 12:22 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

• The Real Skynet
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: IIS: error '8002801c' - Error accessing OLE registry

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:03 AM

Nevermind, I got it. Firefox doesn't handle Integrated Windows Authentication, so localstart.asp doesn't think I am authorized to access it. That triggers the 500 error. I'm assuming the error handling called on line 17 of 500-100.asp is also not supported with Firefox, hence the error message.

Loading the page up in IE 7 and logging in as my admin account worked like a charm.
Was This Post Helpful? 1

Page 1 of 1