7 Replies - 3565 Views - Last Post: 09 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Full Sail College

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:32 AM

I was looking into Full Sail. Looks like a very good school for web design, however it also appears to be quite expensive. Has anyone had any previous experiences with Full Sail? I read a lot of negative comments on their school but I haven't come across any solid reasons of why the school is inadequate. I'm 16 years old and I'll be graduating high school next year in January (about nine months from now), so I am trying to figure out where I am going to go. I have a strong interest in web design and web programming. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be very glad to hear them. I don't have a lot of money and I don't live in Florida (I live in PA) so going to Full Sail would definitely require a lot of student loans.

This post has been edited by fashionnugget: 28 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Full Sail College

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Full Sail College

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

I think I'm going to move this to the Student Campus since it really isn't a web development question, it's more about the school :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

View Postfashionnugget, on 28 Mar, 2009 - 08:32 AM, said:

I was looking into Full Sail. Looks like a very good school for web design, however it also appears to be quite expensive. Has anyone had any previous experiences with Full Sail? I read a lot of negative comments on their school but I haven't come across any solid reasons of why the school is inadequate. I'm 16 years old and I'll be graduating high school next year in January (about nine months from now), so I am trying to figure out where I am going to go. I have a strong interest in web design and web programming. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be very glad to hear them. I don't have a lot of money and I don't live in Florida (I live in PA) so going to Full Sail would definitely require a lot of student loans.

From what I hear they are con artist type people. I googled around when I as graduating high school and Thought to go their also.

what I heard is that they visits you can scheduled visits like tours. On those days they take out the new top stuff like computers and cameras etc.

From hearing people going their some kids failed the first class and ended up ownign a crap load of money and they now currently are on the streets.

The reason why is that these classes don't teach you . You get hand books which they explain stuff in a programming manner meaning.

You will get a assingment and the book will tell you what to press and what to do. They don't teach you why your doing that way and what the point of doing that way and why do it.

So kids say it's frustrating and if you get an F you have to pay back the finacial aid or any student loan for that class.

And yes those fees are very expensive. So only kids that have rich parents can afford to get grades lower then a C.

So I suggest for you to just not go to ful sail. The reason is that it's risky and stressful.

They make you at some point to have class at 1:00am they claim it's to get you ready for the real world but from what I hear it's a way to squeeze in more students.

I also hear the classes are big. Don't count and getting alot of help from the professor.

What I suggest is to not go for web programming.

It depends on you . You can learn it for free by learning html, css, php online. Their are tutorials on graphics also.

Don't count that you need a bach in web graphic design to get a job.

That is not how the web development or graphics work in the real world.

They want previous work and experience. You need to volunteer or get someone to hire you for cheap or for nothing and do thier site and then you would use them as a reference on your resume.

To be web designer or a developer you have to be good at it.

You also need experience. You can't just get out of college and get a job. Most jobs require experience.

that's all I can say.

I currently am in college going for accounting degree. I know software and hardware programming.

I also do know how to make websites and program them.

I am currently employed in a small company as the VP of technology.

I am getting paid very low but I am doing it because of the job experience.

it looks good if I worked for a company as a vp of technology then if I only had college degree.

So the goal you must ask yourself is will this college or would getting this degree be any value.

my accounting program in college I have requirements .

One is physical education meaning gym.

I can choose 6 differnet classes. One is regular gym, another is martial arts, then kick boxing, tennis,soccer, health foods, paramedic

Now I am aiming for paramedic because I will be certified cpr dude at the end of the class.

it has more value compared to other classes.

Think of it as if you were to hire yourself what would you look for if you were to hire yourself.

so if it all goes well what I can say on the resume that I am a accountant with a cpr certification it will add more value.

I mean if I say I am an accountant that knows how to play tennis. Do you think they will care if you know how to play tennis or hockey?

They are only interested in what is good for them. If you are a cpr certified dude you can help if their is an emergency .

So get into the habbit on looking for programs of colleges that will add value meaning you can put on a resume to make you sound like a valuable person towards business.

So any classes that can help you seem more valueable at the workplace is what you want to get. Value meaning what other stuff you can do instead of your profession. Like are you a good public speaker?

but it has to relate to the job. I mean accoutants will work in a office and anything could happen meaning someone choking on a donut.

So being a cpr dude can make you look impressive.

For me I add my programming experience background. Which is valuable. I mean I can make a accounting software or make mods or plugins for existing software.

That makes me a valuable accountant. The reason is that a ordinary accountant will only know how to do the accounting.

Hope this helps you out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:08 AM

Full Sail is... an interesting thing. I've heard reports similar to hockey's, but my best friend from high school goes there and loves it. He's a film major and is working on an indie film currently for his classes. According to him, everything is really hands-on and application-driven. There's not a whole lot of theory in their teaching style, which has its advantages and disadvantages. Theory gives you a greater ability to learn new things in the future, but application gives you the ability to get stuff done with what's around currently.

According to my buddy, it's really intense. It's a 4 year degree in 2 years. Classes last for a month each, and you take two each month. You have about 40 hrs of class-time a week, which I believe includes studio time for relevant classes.

As for being a "con artist school", I doubt it. They are accredited. Maybe they were like that a few years ago, but they wouldn't receive accreditation as a university if this was true. Prior to 2 years ago, I've heard things similar to hockey, but nothing like that has reached my ears recently. Nice thing is that the name is definitely growing. People in the industry know exactly what you're talking about when you mention Full Sail.

It's definitely worth checking out. As with anything, be sure to take in everything you hear with a grain of salt. They're an art, media, and publicity school - they're going to be very convincing. Hell, their website is absolutely beautiful. Best thing I can recommend is to find and speak with alumni and current students from there. They're going to be your best sources. Just be sure to meet several, as everyone has some sort of bias.

But yeah, I'm considering getting a masters from Full Sail after finishing my undergrad at Georgia Tech. That might say something.

Happy hunting!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:23 PM

Ok, so I am currently a student at Full Sail University in the Game Development BA.

The school is pretty intense, but if you do fail a class you can take it again for free. The school does not have dorms but there are plenty of apartments in the area.

All in all, as TheBeege said, the school is accredited as a university. The classes are tough but, like with all things, you get out of it what you put in.

The problem is that there is one degree program here that is pretty much rich people daycare for their kids. Those kids fail out because they party too much, then get pissed off because they couldn't slide through it.

I love it here, the classes are challenging, the teachers are great and they really know what they are teaching. Most of the teachers have experience in the field. My Direct X teacher wrote a book on Direct X. The old Rules of the Game teacher was Dave Arneson, the co-creator of D&D.

Your class mates will all be people with the same interests as you, they are going there for the same reason as you so making friends is really easy.

At least I think that the school is great. I took 2 years off after high school to work and I'm still going to be graduating before anyone else I went to high school with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:54 PM

Apologies for the second post, but it is slightly important-ish kinda...

Be prepared to have classes with little to no women in them. Well, at least that's how it is with my Film major buddy. Not sure about other majors.

After realizing how bad it is with that, drive over to UCF to discover the vast numbers of gorgeous Floridian women. *sigh* Why did I have to leave home? X-D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for the interesting input guys. It sounds like Full Sail is a good university for someone who is truly interested in what they would be going for. That's good news for me. Today I received my information pamphlet for the school, I was quite unimpressed at the content within. It seems that they put a lot more work into the design of the pamphlet than they did the content. Anyway, I'll look more into it and try to get more sound opinions. If anyone else has input I'm more than happy to hear it. Especially if anyone has gone there for Web Design & Development. As for the little to no girls in a class... well I have a long term girlfriend and I get guilty easily. :[

The main problem I have with the school is the money they charge you. It's about 40,000 to go for web design, right? I feel like going to Brooklyn College would just be a more practical route for me to take, although the enjoyment I would get out of the school probably wouldn't be nearly as close. Also, I've been to Brooklyn plenty of times... I've never been to FL, let alone Orlando.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

I don't really want to turn you off from the school, but the Web Development degree here is actually pretty new. But not new enough that it wasn't there for the accreditation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1