How do you handle?

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1037 Views - Last Post: 31 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

• D.I.C Stomach
  • member icon

• View blog

Cyber crimes

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

I have a friend working as a sysad for almost six months now in a small company. For the first time, he experience cyber crimes, their server was hacked. Though he did not give further details, but they traced the perpetrators was in mainland China. They have no choice but to go back to scratch, format everything and use strong firewall. The management wants to file charges against those hackers, since they got already the evidence. However, the problem is, which court they will file charges? here in the Philippines or in China. I told him that we do not know that the perpetrators are really living in China. What if they are living in other part of the world.

If you were in their place how do you handle it? What if you do know that they are in China, will you go in China, spend money and file charges in their court?
If you experience the same situation and you know that they came from a country where there are no laws about this crime, Baghdad for example? How do you handle it?

As of this time, they are using software and hardware firewall. Are they enough that we can say their LAN is safe?

Discuss..

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Cyber crimes

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cyber crimes

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

If you were in their place how do you handle it? What if you do know that they are in China, will you go in China, spend money and file charges in their court?

If you do not know the specific person who did the attack and you did not present the damage consequences, you cannot file a case to the court. Just because in this case there is no responsible person. You know the location, but who used that specific IP at that specific time? It is very hard to find out.

As of this time, they are using software and hardware firewall. Are they enough that we can say their LAN is safe?

You can never say that your LAN is completely safe. Every lock will someday be defeated, so you have to constantly update the security system to keep it less vulnerable. You can never say that it is completely secure.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:33 AM

IMHO they're best to cut there losses, learn from it and move on. it sounds doubtful wether even if they find those responsible and bring any kind of prosecution that they would be doing anything other than throwing more time & probably a lot of good money after bad, & even tho its gotta be extremely frustrating i just cant see a happy ending here !!

GL

Bob
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Stomach
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

There is no problem if this situation happens in our neighborhood and the person liable is an ass next door. Well, we can go to local authorities, FBI, police etc. But if the attacker is from remote part of the world that would be a problem. I assume that no one will spend money just to track him down, unless he's CIA's security threat.

This post has been edited by nirvanarupali: 30 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

In the US, there is a dollar amount before the FBI gets involved. Though I believe it's 10 grand, I'm not sure of this number.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1