4 Replies - 2125 Views - Last Post: 03 April 2009 - 12:55 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Simple Submit form problem

Post icon  Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:52 PM

To entrap subscriptions to my newsletter I use a simple submit form which works beautifully in I.E. but becomes untidy in Firefox and similar.

I do not call for an email address but just a subscribe button which generates an email addressed to "subscribe@.." and I rely on the senders email address being sufficient for my needs.

In I.E. this works like a charm. Press 'SUBMIT' drop-down I.E. Warning "This form is being submitted using email. Submitting this form will reveal your email address to the recipient ...etc. > Press OK > MS Outlook warning " A program is trying to send an email on your behalf ..etc." > Press Allow and submission is complete.

With Firefox and some others: Press 'SUBMIT' and an untidy email form appears with the Subject "&force-plain-text=Y" and message "subbtn=Submit" which then requires the customer to press "SEND" to complete the job. More often than not it scares them off.

Is there any way to get Firefox to behave like I.E. ?

Alphalink

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Simple Submit form problem

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Simple Submit form problem

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:04 AM

Can you post your code, and also you assuming that everyone has a client side emailer isn't the best option. You should build a simple HTML form that emails it to you - it would bypass all of these issues.

My guess is that you are probably using IE specific code, but I can't know that until I see it. Thanks and good luck.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

I would probably suggest using the PHP mail() function, and then make your form code nice and compatible with everything by tidying it up a bit. There are loads of tutorials out there for creating a php contact form, a quick search comes up with this.

This post has been edited by notsret: 02 April 2009 - 09:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

Many thanks, I'll take your advice and use the PHP mail function - another learning curve.

For your interest here is the code I'm currently using and which is creating my problem.

<FORM action="mailto:subscribe@golfclubsdownunder.com.au" method="post" enctype="text/plain">
														  <TABLE BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="4" WIDTH="90%">
															<TR>
															  <TD width="42%">&nbsp;</TD>
															  <TD width="58%"><input type="submit" name="submit" value="PLEASE ADD ME!"></TD>
															</TR>
														  </TABLE>
														  <div align="center" class="style2"><span class="style10">Unsubscribe at any time - To view our privacy policy</span> <a href="/Privacy.asp"TARGET="_blank">Click Here</a> </div>
														</FORM> 

Adapted from the subscribe form of a Direct Mail program I use.

Thanks again for you guidance .
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:55 PM

I've never seen someone try to use an email as an 'action' of a form, decent though - but you usually would do that same thing this way:

<a href="mailto:subscribe@golfclubsdownunder.com.au?subjec=Subscribe to Newsletter">Click here to Subscribe</a>

Much simpler huh, and I through in a subject automation for ya. You can thank me later, nah I'm just kidding - good luck with that.

P.S. Have you looked into a company like Constant Contact, for 15 dollars a month you can send as many emails as you would like to up to 500 emails - and you get control of a list server. What that means is when someone fills out the form that they provide you with it automatically adds their email address to the list, you don't have to copy and paste it in. Then when they unsubscribe it removes them automatically as well. Worth the money if you ask me.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1