1 Replies - 514 Views - Last Post: 01 April 2009 - 01:22 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Trying to figure out how to do this...

Posted 01 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

I've had extensive C and C++ work, but never have done anything web related. What I'm looking to do is to download all the tabs off of ultimate-guitar.com

I found that the tabs are indexed by a certain prefix: /guitar/bandname/songname.some_song_version.some_guitarpro_version

An example would be:

ultimate-guitar.com/guitar/h/hammerfall/always_will_be_ver3.gp5

The problem is that:

1) I do not have a list of names of all the bands (I want to extract all of them) so I would have to have a loop running through all alphanumeric possibilities of band names, and testing them to see if they were on the database.

2) I do not know the song names either, so I would also have to incrementally look for them, as well as the version of the song name (always_will_be_ver1 or _ver2, etc.)

3) I do not also know the GP number, as it could be from 1 to usually around 8 for popular bands.

So my problem is that I do not know the band names, the song names, the version of the song names, or the version of the guitar pro file name.

I would have to incrementally look for everything on the database, unless I could access it and have some sort of way to pull the lists.

Since I have no web experience, I was wondering how to do this. Should I use PHP for this operation? I could learn it quite easily, it's just is it the right tool for the job, and is there an easier way than bruteforcing all characters and possibilities to download possible files?

Thanks

-G Friggen Unit

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Trying to figure out how to do this...

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Trying to figure out how to do this...

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:22 PM

I'm guessing they might not look too fondly on you ripping their site...you're likely to get IP banned as soon as they find out. What you're proposing would certainly be against their TOS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1