Certifications

As a Software Engineer what certifications are helpfull ?

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 717 Views - Last Post: 21 May 2009 - 01:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Certifications

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:30 PM

I'm currently and undergrad ( Computer & Electrical Eng.), but I want a solid foundation in software engineering and programming that I am building myself as well as taking courses on. I would like to know what certifications I should shoot for. My father's an EE and a Project Engineer for the DOD and his buddies tell him, to tell me; MCSE or MCAD. I want two under my belt before I end grad school at least one before I end my B.S. ( if i can accomplish). I know it all depends on the OS you plan to work with; Microsoft, Linux, Red hat, Apple, etc. and Cisco for networks, but my real question is which one do employers really want to see on that resume?

I'm leaning more towards the MCAD as my first, unless as I dip more into researching these certs I change my mind. ( I just started looking into them but this has been a goal of mine for awhile.)

Anyways; any great authors that have put together good study aids I can get my hands on would be a great help as well.

~thank you, and sorry for grammar or spelling

EDIT : btw, im studying right now for my A+ certification and plan to have it this summer as I plan to start a small PC repair business! =)

This post has been edited by BlueChip50: 01 April 2009 - 03:43 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Certifications

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Certifications

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:19 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about getting certified in anything. Not at this point.

Experience will trump a degree/certification almost every time, so just start doing. Build websites, software or whatever it is you're interested in. Get a job, even part-time or volunteer to get the experience.

The bottom line is that your certification proves nothing to me, other than you passed a test. I've interviewed tons of people for software positions, and many with college degrees couldn't answer basic questions when asked to solve a problem.

Once you've been working for a few years, see if your employer will pay for you to get certified. It will be much more valuable when you have 5 years of experience - plus you won't be paying for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Certifications

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:43 AM

certification doesnt prove anything i agree with aurthurakay however if you job demands so then you should but that also only if your company is sponsoring
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1