• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 4228 Views - Last Post: 20 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Microsoft & Open Source

Post icon  Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

Yesterday, on April 1, 2009 Microsoft released the ASP.NET MVC 1.0 and it's source code.

I know there are tons of Microsoft haters (and plenty on this site) but could this be a beginning to Microsoft trying to bridge the gap to Open Source. Do you think the Open Source community will view this as a serious effort on Microsoft's part? They released it under their MS-PL (An OSI-Approved open source license).

Many on SlashDot think the license is as good as many major open source licenses, and even easier to understand than the GPL license. Opinions, discussion?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Microsoft & Open Source

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Microsoft & Open Source

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:44 PM

I agree that this is a huge step for microsoft! It's great to see they are releasing some languages to the open source community. However i think they will need to release more than just that to really earn the respect of the open source community.

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:27 PM

But it's a start @markhazlett9. At least they're finally making some kind of effort to reach out to the open source community
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

I still have mixed feelings about this, but I agree it is a step in the right direction.

@psycho - lol I read your blog you fan boy! j/k dude :^: (had to go there)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 2 Apr, 2009 - 02:27 PM, said:

But it's a start @markhazlett9. At least they're finally making some kind of effort to reach out to the open source community

I agree! That is very true
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ???
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

We should appreciate it and hope microsoft will continue it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

The MS-PL seems suspiciously simple. The cheese is down but where is the mouse trap?

I think if they had use GPLx ( or another third party license ) for a while with minor code to build some trust. Then announced it's
not quite right for them and brought out MS-PL for major code it would be more easy to swallow.

If Microsoft had announced they were going to explore open source right after Bill Gates left, then I would think 'OK, lets see what they've got.' Instead it went to 'Lets hunt the penguin.' Very cautious I am.

B)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:33 PM

@Ambercroft: The license is real simple, and believe it or not there seems to be no "mouse trap". I've done quite a bit of reading on the MS-PL today and have yet to find anything that would make me leery, no proverbial loophole that can be found.

I know it may be late in the game but I truly believe Microsoft is trying to bridge the gap, they have at least offered an olive branch to show they're willing to explore the open source community. We'll see what happens
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

The MS-PL is actually a pretty good licensing system, better than a lot of the licenses embraced by the hardcore open source community (of which i am one, but tempered with business sense :) ).

I view this as a positive step...MS is under no obligation to open source anything, but they are doing so because there has been a shift in direction in the company over the last number of months. Hardcore open source advocates may never find it enough, but the fact remains, MS is a business, and has the right to do anything it wishes with their proprietary code. I open source a lot of the stuff I write...and a lot of it I don't.

Do I wish that MS would open source more? Sure I do. Do I begrudge them their proprietary code? No I don't.

What I'm not to keen on are the folks who clamored for MS to enter the open source community as a partner, and when they do, pipe up with "it's not enough!".

Don't get me wrong...MS is making this foray into open source (and this is not actually the first thing they've open sourced) for business reasons, always trying to look forward and outward, as any good business would do. But it's something. Take advantage of what is available to you instead of pining for what is not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Great::Southern::Land
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:57 AM

View PostAmadeus, on 2 Apr, 2009 - 05:03 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong...MS is making this foray into open source (and this is not actually the first thing they've open sourced) for business reasons, always trying to look forward and outward, as any good business would do. But it's something. Take advantage of what is available to you instead of pining for what is not.

Pretty dam true, at least its a start and of course things will need to be resolved over time, however its a way forward for MS, next thing they need to do is supply older versions of their OS for free, such as when Windows 7 is released, make XP free for users. We can dream :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:18 AM

agree to all

its a new beginning and revolution

This post has been edited by firebolt: 03 April 2009 - 01:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 2 Apr, 2009 - 04:33 PM, said:

@Ambercroft: The license is real simple, and believe it or not there seems to be no "mouse trap". I've done quite a bit of reading on the MS-PL today and have yet to find anything that would make me leery, no proverbial loophole that can be found.

I agree with PsychoCoder. I have read up on the license and nothing seems to be amiss.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

O.o! I am in shock!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:18 PM

I think this is a huge step.. i know i dont like microsoft that much..but i think that the might actually be trying to do something worth while...or mabye they just want to have the biggest monopoly the world has ever seen..who knows..

but lets see them try and beat sourceforge.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

@Rickster090 You're kidding right? Microsoft is so much bigger than Sourceforge could ever hope of being
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +