4 Replies - 5373 Views - Last Post: 08 April 2009 - 08:57 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Question about game animation with Maya C++ and DirectX

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

Hi all. This is my first post here. I have stated working on a game in C++. So far I have a real time fractal terrain generator/refiner for DirectX with some collision detection implemented. I'm going to use this instead of storing actual polygons on disk for my world. Eventually Iíll add fractal trees and buildings too. But for now I want to start working on some animated characters.

I was looking into Maya (I donít have it yet) but I am very unclear how an animated character get's from Maya (or any other animation program) to C++. It's my understanding that you get some sort of output file that you need to interpret. Since I was planning on doing skeletal animation wouldn't I need to implement the same animation algorithm used in Maya in my code so the animations look the same? Do I get nodes with weights for each bone associated with them or does the Maya output file specify the movement of every node? Do I even need to implement skeletons on the C++ side or is this only on the Maya side?

In short Iím asking about the general flow from the animation program to C++ to DirectX. I figure I can use HLSL to implement actual character animations on the graphics card. Does any of this make sense? Are there any good resource books for this kind of lower level stuff? Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question about game animation with Maya C++ and DirectX

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Question about game animation with Maya C++ and DirectX

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:21 AM

Hi there

For this you are going to have to use some kind of .x exporter for maya, this should just be some melscript or python that will export the model along with the animations.

just google for it, if its a .x file i'm guessing it will be easy to use with direct X :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

View Poststayscrisp, on 4 Apr, 2009 - 04:21 AM, said:

Hi there

For this you are going to have to use some kind of .x exporter for maya, this should just be some melscript or python that will export the model along with the animations.

just google for it, if its a .x file i'm guessing it will be easy to use with direct X :)

OK I'm an idiot :D I didn't even know about .X files. In any case thanks for the help. I think I can take it from here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:13 AM

If for some reason you don't want to use the .x format you don't have to. There are a number of 3D model formats used by games that support animations.

There is a book called Focus on 3D models http://www.amazon.co...e...3572&sr=8-1

that gives a pretty good overview of different model formats. The CD that comes with the book also gives you the code that you need to be able to load in these different formats into memory using C++
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:57 AM

View Postmmakrzem, on 8 Apr, 2009 - 07:13 AM, said:

If for some reason you don't want to use the .x format you don't have to. There are a number of 3D model formats used by games that support animations.

There is a book called Focus on 3D models http://www.amazon.co...e...3572&sr=8-1

that gives a pretty good overview of different model formats. The CD that comes with the book also gives you the code that you need to be able to load in these different formats into memory using C++

Thanks!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1