4 Replies - 676 Views - Last Post: 20 April 2009 - 01:28 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Can Javascript Compete with Flash?

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:59 PM

Now I know they are almost completly different in the way they function. But is there anyway to make javascript as interactive as flash? for example, when doing rollovers, flash sets a motion tween so there is interactive movements going on, while javascript seems to have only a static image rollover. My question is, how in depth can javscript go? and are there any good tutorials on complicated javascript rollovers and other interactivity?

Thank you

Chris P

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can Javascript Compete with Flash?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can Javascript Compete with Flash?

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

Actionscript was designed with the idea of manipulating graphics and flash for presenting visual elements. Javascript is meant for making a website a bit more interactive for the client. While you can imitate many things done in flash with javascript (there is more than just image rollovers, you can create fading in and out and tweens ... given you have all the image frames) but their purposes are very different.

This is like comparing PHP to C++. They have completely different purposes.

If you want something really graphical, look to flash. If you are looking to help the user manipulate elements on the page, look to javascript. Javascript can even manipulate flash elements etc.

Do a search on google for javascript rollover effect scripts. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:53 AM

I agree, Flash and Javascript are completely different tools and each have their own separate application.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

Javascript can be used in some very interesting ways to replace Flash in many applications. Flash became very popular years ago because it offered fluid and graphics-intensive interfaces for the web before anyone would have even thought of trying to mimic that behavior in Javascript. However, Javascript, and specifically the DOM, have come a long way, and in many cases Javascript could replace Flash. The reason for doing this is quite clear: Javascript is more widespread, easier to integrate, cheaper on bandwidth, and more accessible to the end user. If the end user's browser or client doesn't support Flash, they're completely blocked off from viewing the content unless the developer goes out of his or her way to offer up an alternate version of the site. However, Javascript can be written in such a way that it degrades gracefully, called Unobtrusive Javascript.

I know you're not necessarily suggesting that Flash is the cream of the crop, but I just want to throw it out there that unless you have a real, definitive reason to go with Flash, there is rarely a good reason to do sacrifice accessibility and bandwidth to do so. If you're going for simple animations and interactive page elements, you can probably get by just fine with Javascript. Even an inexperienced programmer can do amazing things with just a few lines of jQuery or script.aculo.us.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:28 PM

You can do a lot of stuff with Javascript that you can do with flash. Just check out some of the Javascript Frameworks out there. Plus there are plugins for the frameworks as well. Not only do they make coding in javascript a lot easier, the functionality for things like ajax and doing effects like tweening are much much easier with the framework. You can do something in 3 lines of code that would usually take like 12 lines of code.
Here's a few frameworks that you can check out
jQuery - jQueryUI
MooTools
Prototype - Scriptaculous

It's hard for me to choose a favorite, I like them all. As of right now I prefer jQuery.

Steve
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1