web services

what is web service and how to consume it to web page ?

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 819 Views - Last Post: 07 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

web services

Post icon  Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

i wanted to know what is web service and y is it important ?

is ther any tool to consume web service into a web page ?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: web services

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: web services

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

A web service can be considered as a gateway between a client application (either local or web) and another server (that can be an e-commerce site for example).

For example, you need to get the list of new movie releases in your client application (that runs in the user's local environment or on a server). To achieve this, you are using a web service, that will give you access to that specific list on a separate web site, where the list is constantly updated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

Often times, the only thing you really need to consume web services is with an XML reader, which are included with most major programming languages geared toward the web. PHP, for example, can easily process XML documents using built-in classes. Javascript, using the XMLHttpRequest object will let you parse XML documents with ease using the responseXML property, in conjunction with DOM methods. Python, Ruby, Perl, any .NET language, and just about any other language you can think of can either readily process XML, or you'll find plenty of libraries to do it for you, and often times you can find one for the particular web service you're looking to use if it's well enough known, like Amazon S3. There are ready made classes for interfacing with S3 and Amazon Search in Ruby and Python.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

ur reply gave a brief knowledge on web services. thanks ..

how do i consume or use a webservice into my web site ..

View Postnoyesa, on 7 Apr, 2009 - 02:14 PM, said:

Often times, the only thing you really need to consume web services is with an XML reader, which are included with most major programming languages geared toward the web. PHP, for example, can easily process XML documents using built-in classes. Javascript, using the XMLHttpRequest object will let you parse XML documents with ease using the responseXML property, in conjunction with DOM methods. Python, Ruby, Perl, any .NET language, and just about any other language you can think of can either readily process XML, or you'll find plenty of libraries to do it for you, and often times you can find one for the particular web service you're looking to use if it's well enough known, like Amazon S3. There are ready made classes for interfacing with S3 and Amazon Search in Ruby and Python.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1