• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1411 Views - Last Post: 12 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Unique place you've coded...

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

During a 3 hour flight down to Florida last week, I worked on a source forge project on my laptop. I also used to enjoy coding on the 2nd floor deck at the apartment complex we lived in years ago. It overlooked a highway, & some bright neon lights just past that as well.

What are some of your favorite, & most unique places to hash out some code?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Unique place you've coded...

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Unique place you've coded...

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:24 PM

I've been known to go out into my Gazebo (during the summer) down by the creek and code
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:47 PM

Sometimes if I wake up in the very early morning (like 3:00 or similar) I start coding if there's nothing on TV.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

The most unique place I have coded in so far was in a cabin in the mountains. Me and my family went up for a long weekend, but I had homework so I had my laptop along. Got a chance to work on a couple of projects while not roasting stuff or sitting next to the creek.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:43 PM

I've coded on a drive up into the mountains before... that is, before my battery nearly died on me. lol

I'd like to go to some remote beach somewhere and code, that would be a unique experience... provided I'd have some sort of power source other than this ol' battery.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:24 AM

in 1982 i was cycling across north africa and heard from some fellow travellers i met that some guys were setting up a work camp in the desert, so i thought id try track them down and hopefully get some casual labouring work, and a few days after i found them a week later, did some work repairing geophones (they were prospecting for oil) but discovered they had a computer and needed a program to download surveying data from an electronic theodolite but had no-one who had any idea how to do it. "I can do that" i said, so ended up writing several programs in a trailer in the sahara in morocco near the algerian border for free accomodation, all the beer i could drink, food i could eat, all the various other stuff i could smoke, with some cash thrown in as well. 3 months later i was getting in the comfort zone too much, (just what i was escaping from) so went on my merry way, even tho they offered me a permanent job for many times the tax free salary i could expect in the uk lol. - twas fun while it lasted tho :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:19 AM

View PostWinBase, on 10 Apr, 2009 - 05:24 AM, said:

in 1982 i was cycling across north africa and heard from some fellow travellers i met that some guys were setting up a work camp in the desert, so i thought id try track them down and hopefully get some casual labouring work, and a few days after i found them a week later, did some work repairing geophones (they were prospecting for oil) but discovered they had a computer and needed a program to download surveying data from an electronic theodolite but had no-one who had any idea how to do it. "I can do that" i said, so ended up writing several programs in a trailer in the sahara in morocco near the algerian border for free accomodation, all the beer i could drink, food i could eat, all the various other stuff i could smoke, with some cash thrown in as well. 3 months later i was getting in the comfort zone too much, (just what i was escaping from) so went on my merry way, even tho they offered me a permanent job for many times the tax free salary i could expect in the uk lol. - twas fun while it lasted tho :)

Wow that is quite the story mate
:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Black Hatter

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

The Bahamas
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

WOW is all i have to say.. Nice!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

I used to code outside with my chickens, they just clucked in the background and it was so peaceful and sunny.

Edit:

Epic.

This post has been edited by abgorn: 10 April 2009 - 06:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

In my bed, half-asleep.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2009 - 09:32 PM

Call me a romantic, but in the Seattle's Best coffee shop (in Boston :)) window seat durning a nice rain storm.

This post has been edited by LaviadonTQC: 10 April 2009 - 09:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:48 AM

In my schools office trying to show the teacher i how to make the schools website work. Really awkward because the room was so small and 5 people had to fit in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:12 AM

Just as a follow up, 6 yrs l8r in 1988 id got itchy feet again & was travelling round Australia and met a guy in the youth hostel in Alice springs and during the course of the evening he told me he'd just been working on a ship in the arctic circle for 6 months, and blow me he worked for the self same surveyor i wrote the code for in Morocco lol. Then another 5 or 6 yrs passed and i got a phone call at my folks place from the same surveyor who by then had given up the ex-pat lifestyle and was now living in Hull & working for british coal in yorkshire. he said he'd never forgotten the job i did and how it made his life so much easier, so tracked me down to see if was i intrested in writing some programs to extrapolate geoseismic data, graphically plot elevations & other stuff. id not long set up my own business so jumped at the chance - small world, u couldnt make this stuff up lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:05 PM

The train from NY to Prinston NJ... I actually got a lot done. I was surprized latter when I looked it over. On planes I suck and can't really get much done. Airports are the same way. SO mostly I just answer questions on DIC. The one time I really tried to work in the airport I nearly missed my flight (I get focused).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +