Suggestions for learning outside the classroom?

wondering what I can do immerse myself...

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 614 Views - Last Post: 05 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Suggestions for learning outside the classroom?

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

Hello hello! :)

Well I'm I almost have my associates in computer science right now, but as I think about jobs in the field and internships I'm finding out I really don't know anything besides making basic Java programs and writing in assembly. So in order to get prepared for a future career in the field I've got to actually mess around more with computers. Just like I've learned more about Java from actual assignments, I'd like to start doing things in my spare time that are instructive.

Currently I'm trying to learn Ruby and I've decided upon building a website of my own but I'd like some ideas on what I could be learning/doing/immersing in to explore the big field of computing and perhaps even landing a part-time job that doesn't require too much. Any advice/ anecdotes in how you began programming and how that led into your job would be interesting and very much appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Suggestions for learning outside the classroom?

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Suggestions for learning outside the classroom?

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

i havent started working yet but i think joining open source projects is a good idea..there are loads of those all around the web

This post has been edited by mostyfriedman: 05 April 2009 - 08:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Suggestions for learning outside the classroom?

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

maybe read some books? Learn a new language and maybe start an open source project of your own... those are all good ways to advance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1