Pros-Cons for Associate's Degree vs Bachelor's

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 15794 Views - Last Post: 08 April 2010 - 06:02 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Pros-Cons for Associate's Degree vs Bachelor's

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

So what are the pros and cons for Associate's and Bachelor's degrees for software development? Are people who get associate's degrees doomed?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Pros-Cons for Associate's Degree vs Bachelor's

• go sabres

• View blog

Re: Pros-Cons for Associate's Degree vs Bachelor's

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:14 AM

i have my associates and still got a great programming job. but im prob in the minority. im still going right now to get my bachelors. i feel like i would hit the ceiling to quick with only my associates..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

IMHO

Associates Degree + No Experience = Good Luck getting an entry level position, better be networking!

Associates Degree + Experience = Good Opportunities and better than starting salary

Bachelors Degree + No Experience = Good Opportunies with a decent level entry job

Bachelors Degree + Experience = Better Opportunities and much better than starting salary
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

View Postskrose, on 14 Apr, 2009 - 07:49 AM, said:

IMHO

Associates Degree + No Experience = Good Luck getting an entry level position, better be networking!

Associates Degree + Experience = Good Opportunities and better than starting salary

Bachelors Degree + No Experience = Good Opportunies with a decent level entry job

Bachelors Degree + Experience = Better Opportunities and much better than starting salary

Agreed, the piece of paper is to get your foot in the door. If you only get your associate's and don't move on to your bachelor's then you need to have a portfolio to show otherwise you'll get passed over pretty quickly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

I'm the one with the associate's and no experience. I'm getting my degree in May. If I didn't have to work fast food for 2 more years I would absolutely go for my bachelor's. But I just can't stomach that life style for 2 more years.

Maybe one day after I have been in the industry for while I will go for my bachelor's.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:47 PM

I got my associates degree in '04, & got a job as the assistant to a network admin. In '06 the company just short of folded, & I was let go. I got a job at a fortune 500 company in the help desk & checked the job boards every day. Just as my probationary year was up I found an opening in a Unix department & advanced.

It can happen, you just have to kick it into gear. Act professional, get your work done, strive to get ahead.

Realistically, you either have it or you don't. I don't feel that a degree (alone) is going to do much more than say you've got school level responsibility & the money to get the degree.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:38 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 15 Apr, 2009 - 05:47 PM, said:

I got my associates degree in '04, & got a job as the assistant to a network admin. In '06 the company just short of folded, & I was let go. I got a job at a fortune 500 company in the help desk & checked the job boards every day. Just as my probationary year was up I found an opening in a Unix department & advanced.

It can happen, you just have to kick it into gear. Act professional, get your work done, strive to get ahead.

Realistically, you either have it or you don't. I don't feel that a degree (alone) is going to do much more than say you've got school level responsibility & the money to get the degree.

thats similar to what happened to me. I started part time as a test to see how i would do. I only was part time for a month until they realized, Hey this kid be a genius!? you just gotta keep looking and hope you get lucky cause it much more difficult to get ur foot in the door with and associates, but its not impossible
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2009 - 12:48 AM

Hay all,

It's so funny that there was a post on this subject. I should be getting my associates within the next three to six months and I am going to be getting my bachelors by 2010, I'm expecting. I don't have any experience in any IT field, but I do know that I need some. With the way the job market is looking I don't expect to be getting anything soon but I keep on looking on Dice hoping.

I also read an interesting article about how networking on-line is good because most of are on Facebook, Twitter and such alike that a company can really get a feel for your personality as a person. This way they have a better idea of who you are as a person then what they would with a ten to twenty minute interview and a few pieces of paper. I'll post the address tomorrow of the article, sorry I don't have it on me tonight.

Do you pass the social media recruitment test? The site I wrote about: http://mashable.com/...ia-recruitment/

This post has been edited by GeekyGirl36: 19 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

If your getting your associates try to get a job and start networking. If you get a job right away then good for you. If you don't you'll have your bachelors in no time. With the way the economy is right now it would probably be really hard to get a job with an associates since it's kinda hard to get a job at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

I would definitely say it's good - don't let people bully you around with made up stories about how you'll never make it in the field. Even if you were true it's not a very good argument because there are many kinds of jobs available with only an associates degree that aren't exactly minimum wage type of work either. They just want to see you accomplished something. But, there are even programming jobs around here that require only an associates, doing web development and databases with C# or something. And then, you could apply for those type of jobs that say "Bachelor's or 5+ years experience required" type jobs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:16 AM

I started out on the road to the AS IT before the economy "tanked" but even then, I knew the more the better and set up to go straight into the BS IT program. Now, in today's market I know that the chances of landing a job with just the Associates is between slim and none (although I'm still trying). I even chose to go 2 sessions longer in getting my Bachelors in order to get a head start on my Masters. I figure that I might as well ride this rollercoaster as long as I can or at least until the economy turns around! In the end, I'll come out ahead (or at least with more knowledge than when I started)!

Good luck to us all!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

I was just about to ask a similar question. I want to be a programmer and a few people tried to steer me toward a CS degree. But I think its a little heavy for me. I found aProgramming and System Analysis AA and it seems like that'll suit me just fine and help me get a good job. I used to have a few connections as I was working at Godaddy for a while. I figured I'd really be able to get my foot in the door with that on my resume. According so my old teammates "Just having it on your resume would get you hired" But, that didn't work out to well, though.

This post has been edited by Realedazed: 15 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:20 PM

I made this thread exactly a year ago today. Weird that I stumble on it now exactly a year later.

Thought it would be interesting to mention my progress.

I got my AA degree in May 2009. I finally got a job in early May of 2010. Almost a year later. I sent a resume to a company and it turns out the VP lives in the same town as me. He said he wanted to interview the guy from his home town and 2 weeks later I was hired.

To summarize, to get a degree with just an AA degree is possible. But it takes hard work, patience, luck, and some good connections. I was lucky that a connection fell right in my lap since the VP lived in my town.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for updating this :)

& congrats on the job!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

Congrats mate.

Once you get down to it the piece of paper is absolutely worthless in essence as itself, rather it is a signifier of the work and effort you put forth to get to the level of graduating, the long hours and sleepless nights. It's not about the finish and prize, it's about the race you run to get it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +