What is java used for?

Can what java does be done with other languages?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 3642 Views - Last Post: 12 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is java used for?

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

I've seen questions like these lately and it makes me wonder if people are living in isolation. There are so many good Java and related technology blogs and sites out there that it's difficult (for me at least) to turn on my computer without being bombarded by the latest news. No offense guys, but if you want to be successful you're going to have to learn to keep up with what's going on. I won't inundate you with links, but I will say, listen to the Java Posse. They've been doing a podcast for years and I'm consistently shocked at how many developers have never heard of them. Their podcast is a good way to get the boiled-down Java news. Yeah, they screw around a bit and have fun, but I almost always get some good info listening to them while driving. They don't cover every detail of everything, but they usually have a fairly current info on industry trends. You'll also find links on their show notes on the site. Java Lobby and Dzone:Java are also good aggregate article sites. They sometimes link to crappy or amateur articles, but occasionally you'll find something useful. Also be sure to watch Java One and Javoxx presentations when they become available online (or better yet attend in person if you're lucky enough). One final thing: Google Tech Talks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is java used for?

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:09 PM

I have to echo a little of what Programmist said.

I mean Java is a pretty big deal. Java is very big in enterprise development. I would say that its enterprise momentum far out shines its mobile platform.

The .NET frame work is a pretty blatant rip off of Java. I mean so much so that it is painful. The smart thing about this is that .Net has the benefit of the industries years of Java's experience -- so they have been able to integrate many of the various lessons learned from Java as well as many of the spin-off Java frameworks. One thing Microsoft does well is rip off the work of others.

Personally I think that Java needs a better publicist. Too many people think that it is just a browser plugin.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +