Reconsidering major

ughh what a mess

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 627 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Reconsidering major

Post icon  Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

OK guys I'm a college freshman and I'm taking an Intro to C++ class. So far I bombed two exams and did pretty good on both hw's. I'm concerned that this Information tech isn't the major for me. I figure that maybe it's just programming I don't really get but maybe I'll do better in my other course requirements since those classes don't involve programming. What do you guys think I should do?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Reconsidering major

• go sabres

• View blog

Re: Reconsidering major

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:31 AM

if u like programming then dont give up just yet. c++ is pretty tough for a first language with no programming experience, but it will click if u keep at it. but it depends on what u want to do? ideally when ur 35, what job would u want to have at that point in ur life?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

Ya maybe you should not give up yet I just bombed my second exam. I am taking C though not C++ Not to say if you are suffering that you should suffer through. Let me tell you some times your "heart" is right.
I wish you the best though in whatever happens.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

hmm..... u guys are right fuck it I just need to suck it up and plow through. I'll get it eventually.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:07 PM

Yeah if you really enjoy it you just will have to work harder. Usually professors and TAs will be glad to help you.

I don't understand the insistance of some schools to use C++ or C as their intro language. It has a lot of complexities that make it harder to grasp the principles of programming. I say start with a more consistent language so the ideas that should be taught as introductory aren't overshadowed. Then lead into something like C...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

I figure that maybe it's just programming I don't really get but maybe I'll do better in my other course requirements since those classes don't involve programming.

I can sympathize with that big time. Let me ask you then: the programming assignments are usually given in order to teach you an important concept. For example, I did a Sudoku solver in my CS 2420 class in order not to learn how to program it although it's still important, but to learn the concept of Backtracking aka the algorithm used to solve the puzzle itself.

Is it just the language itself you are having issues with or the concepts?

(BTW yes C++ is a really hard language to start off with for sure lol :) )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:08 AM

I started with Java, and now i'm in C++
and though i'm not an expert, or even
close to, I still try.

I love programming, and even if it gets hard
i keep trying. Cause i know soon or later
i will get it :)

And if i don't i'll become I'll Spanish
teacher or something :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• |>|20-514<|{3|2

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

Yeah, i'm in an introductory C++ class right now, and it's pretty sweet, while it is quite tough grasping a lot of the concepts, they make a lot more sense if you do things with them on your own, such as functions, if you don't understand it, sit down and play wiht them a bit utnil you understand how they work.
My third programming assignment was making an encryption and decryption program by creating it recognize a good character every x amount of nulls. It was pretty tough, but if you just sit down and play with it, it's alright. And remember when you enter a work place they don't care how well you take tests, they are interested in the skill they are hiring you for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

When you say you bombed two tests are you actually trying to pass them or have you been procrastinating and putting off studying till the last minute? If you've been procrastinating then you might still fail regardless of your major. If you're trying really hard but not getting it then you might have a problem with cs major.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1