Intellij Idea

Anyone use it?

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 1186 Views - Last Post: 15 April 2009 - 04:31 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Intellij Idea

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:29 PM

Been trying out Intellij Ideafor the past few weeks, it's nice, whether it's nice enough to shell out the cash for I still can't decide. It's not cheap.

Anyone else use it? Why?

Thanks..
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Intellij Idea

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Intellij Idea

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:03 PM

Without putting too fine a point on it, that sounds like bullshit. An IDE can be helpful up to a point, but then it becomes a distraction and can allow programmers to become lazy to an extent, which is bad for everyone.

I watched a few of the demos. I don't get it. Why would you want a program to do it for you?

In the end, just another tool to learn. Oddly enough (and I'm not a fanboy by any means) it looks an awful lot like NetBeans. You get out of it what you put in I suppose.

EDIT: It looks like a very nice, powerful, possibly helpful tool. I'm not trying to bad mouth any company or product, but my cynical meter goes off when something claims to be the be all end all for awesomeness. Hmm, I paid for VS, so I guess there's really no difference.

This post has been edited by KYA: 08 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

Never personally used it. I don't think it's really an industry standard IDE... the two main ones are eclipse and Netbeans. To be honest though looking at the documentation. It doesn't appear that it can anything that eclipse can't. In my opinion I would stick with eclipse.

Also, i'm with what KYA said. Why would you want an IDE to program for you? In my opinion that's not really programming.

Oh and the main selling point here is the price. Why would you pay for something that can be done better with a free program. Doesn't make sense to me.

View PostKYA, on 8 Apr, 2009 - 09:03 PM, said:

It looks like a very nice, powerful, possibly helpful tool. I'm not trying to bad mouth any company or product, but my cynical meter goes off when something claims to be the be all end all for awesomeness. Hmm, I paid for VS, so I guess there's really no difference.

WELL PUT! +1 to what KYA said

This post has been edited by markhazlett9: 08 April 2009 - 10:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:19 PM

I use it occasionally, to test the Clojure plugin, and use it for Scala development, but I usually just use Netbeans. I don't pay for development tools.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

Ok, this wasn't meant to be this kind of a topic.. but I guess it might as well be now.

@KYA
Yes, the site hypes it up but that's not what drew me into it. It's a commonly used IDE recommend by lots of people.
Have you ever done Java EE development? So many frameworks man..

@mark
The Maven integration in Eclipse is terrible. Your right though, Intellij does not really do anything that cannot be done in Eclipse/Netbeans. The main reason I've been evaluating it is that it integrates everything so nicely. In Eclipse everything is an add on.

Btw, I'm a student so it is only $100, which really isn't that much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

Ok Woah, I am a student as well... and paying 100$ for an IDE just blows my mind. Why would you ever want to do that. And second, what does intellij have to do with Java EE frameworks. Those are java specific not IDE specific. And you're telling me that Intellij has all the add-ons already installed? What is the file size? like 1GB? Eclipse also nicely integrates things like Subversion, C/C++ plugins.

And I would also like to point out the winning factor right here... Open Source.

I'm not trying to put down IntelliJ, or anything about it. I'm just trying to point out the facts. As good as IntelliJ sounds I doubt it can compete with the big boys of java development.

Cheers

This post has been edited by markhazlett9: 09 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:14 PM

Yeah, I've done some Java EE development and it is a complete bitch. HOWEVER, once you go through "hell" at least once to see how it all works, then I could see having an assistant.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:27 PM

View Postmarkhazlett9, on 9 Apr, 2009 - 04:28 PM, said:

Ok Woah, I am a student as well... and paying 100$ for an IDE just blows my mind. Why would you ever want to do that. And second, what does intellij have to do with Java EE frameworks. Those are java specific not IDE specific. And you're telling me that Intellij has all the add-ons already installed? What is the file size? like 1GB? Eclipse also nicely integrates things like Subversion, C/C++ plugins.

And I would also like to point out the winning factor right here... Open Source.

I'm not trying to put down IntelliJ, or anything about it. I'm just trying to point out the facts. As good as IntelliJ sounds I doubt it can compete with the big boys of java development.

Cheers

Why would you ever want to do that.
An IDE is something I work with on an almost daily basis, I make my living using an IDE. And my time is worth money. If a tool that I use every day offers even a small productivity boost, it's literally worth money. EDIT: Noticed all those apple logos under your name.. so you paid basically a $500 premium for something that you use every day to be put together cleanly. Deciding whether to use intellij over eclipse seems very similar to deciding on whether to use an apple over a "pc"...

what does intellij have to do with Java EE frameworks
Did you even browse the homepage before responding? The IDE supports common Java EE frameworks at it's core, making them a lot easier to work with. In Eclipse all of that stuff is through third party plugins, your not telling me you've never ran into plugin hell?

And you're telling me that Intellij has all the add-ons already installed?
It has a number of "core plugins", they all integrate very well.

What is the file size? like 1GB?
Download size was around 100 meg. Why should I care?

I agree, open source is nice. However, it is also a weakness. Features are not officially supported, and a large subset of the functionality is provided by plugins. These plugins are written by different people speaking different languages with different opinions sitting on opposite sides of the globe.

As good as IntelliJ sounds I doubt it can compete with the big boys of java development.
The Intellij IDE is one of the big boys of Java development.

It's free to try, why don't you take a look? Then you can offer an informed opinion.

This post has been edited by c0mrade: 09 April 2009 - 09:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:29 PM

I'd hate to misname something and not notice it until I was setting up the servlet or something. :)

Also, everyone take a chill pill

I didn't mean to turn the thread. My apologies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:43 PM

View PostKYA, on 9 Apr, 2009 - 08:29 PM, said:

Also, everyone take a chill pill

Agreed, I did get a little snappy there. Sorry.

But I think It's clear by know that nobody here is using it. So we may as well argue about pointless things...

Something I really like is the "live templates" functionality. Generates code within the editor, and you tab through the fields filling in your data. It's like half wizard and half coding. Really cool.

Also code completion is great. Not just in java files. It will help me find classes whether I'm in a web.xml file, spring context file, or maven pom file, etc. Also does cool things like completion inside HQL queries.

Another thing I like using is the reverse UML diagram support. I can simply right click on a package and bring up a UML diagram showing the relationships between all the classes in that package.

This post has been edited by c0mrade: 09 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:48 PM

IntelliJ is mostly used by professionals and if your employer is not purchasing it for you then I would stay away.

There are things that can be done (well) in InteliJ that don't exist in NetBeans/Eclipse (at least done was well). If you have ever had to do remote debugging (or actually any non-trivial debugging) then you will find InteliJ far far supirior. It does have a good deal of code generation capabilities. It is easily scripted.

Its a professional IDE --- like all professional IDE's it is WAY over priced (because it is not meant to be paid for by individuals.)

I really like it. I don't use it because my boss "encouraged" me to use Eclipse.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:31 AM

I've switched to IDEA for all my Scala development. Probably be the same for Clojure once Ilya fixes the indentation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1