Problem with connecting...

• (2 Pages)
  • +

26 Replies - 59353 Views - Last Post: 27 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Problem With Connecting...

Post icon  Posted 17 December 2004 - 09:42 AM

When i am trying to connect to a lan, either wireless(in an airport) or wired(home) i have a problem where it won't connect. The comp is using XP Home(not my choice) and whenever it tries to connect on either wired/wireless, it hangs for a good 2 minutes on acquiring network address, whereas our other comp has no problem. Then when it finally says its "connected" it has limited or no connectivity.

What is this poor computer doing???

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Problem With Connecting...

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Problem With Connecting...

Posted 17 December 2004 - 09:47 AM

Do you have XP Service Pack 2? If so do you have the firewall enabled? Do you have any other firewall installed? Is your network connection set to automatically acquire an IP?

If you open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all what do you see?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2004 - 11:17 AM

or the connections got bridged.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2004 - 05:21 PM

skyhawk133, on Dec 17 2004, 09:47 AM, said:

Do you have XP Service Pack 2? If so do you have the firewall enabled? Do you have any other firewall installed? Is your network connection set to automatically acquire an IP?

If you open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all what do you see?

yes i do have sp 2, yes...the windows firewall is enabled ( has always been and have not had any problems)...I also tried with the firewall off...same problem, yes it it set to acquire automatically.

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix: <blank>
Autoconfiguration IP: 169.254.194.138
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
IP Add: fe80::2c0:9fff:fe15: 633a%4
Default Gateway: <blank>

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo Interface:
IP Add: fe80::5445:5245:444f%5

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo Interface:
IP Add: fe80::5efe:169.245.194.138%2

Yeah...tried release/renew and disable/re-enabling the lan connection also....same problem
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2004 - 05:24 PM

This it totally off the wall, but we had a similar problem at the house I used to live at... we tried for close to a year to get the network working and couldn't get anything other than the occasional Internet Connection Sharing to work... turned out the cables were bad and 1 of the NICs was bad.

Do you show traffic traversing after you connect? Or do you only show a couple packets after you get the connected icon?

What are you connecting to at home? Router? Hub? Does the device show connectivity and any attempt to hand out an IP?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 December 2004 - 05:52 PM

skyhawk133, on Dec 17 2004, 05:24 PM, said:

This it totally off the wall, but we had a similar problem at the house I used to live at... we tried for close to a year to get the network working and couldn't get anything other than the occasional Internet Connection Sharing to work... turned out the cables were bad and 1 of the NICs was bad.

Do you show traffic traversing after you connect? Or do you only show a couple packets after you get the connected icon?

What are you connecting to at home? Router? Hub? Does the device show connectivity and any attempt to hand out an IP?

its not the cable...works on my other comp so thats fine...i dont think its the nic because i have the same problem with both the wired(the one i gave the ip info for) as well as wireless

it shows about 13k packets recieved , however, none sent

hooked straight to the router right not...the device shows connectivity, however XP pops up with a help bubble saying limited or no availibility.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2004 - 01:14 PM

Hmmm, have you run through the network setup wizard again to make sure it configures everything right?

Since wireless isn't working either, it does sound like a software issue, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 December 2004 - 01:19 PM

I've already tried network setup wizard...no luck with that...i was thinking it was software, but i have no idea what piece of software it would be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:16 AM

Those 2 IP addresses are windows default IP addresses. That computer is not recieving a ip vie DHCP from your router.

Is there a Bridge in Network connections? If so delete it.

If you have a Ethernet Nic installed in your computer and you add a wireless card XP will automatically configure a bridge. wich is what I said in my first reply.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:59 AM

Lets examine the problem

Windows IP Configuration

This is the connection that it is trying to forward to the other connection
I assume it is the Wired connection as it has a ip address of 169.254.194.138 What I have gotten from that is that the Cable was disconnected at the time the ipconfig was run as it is using a windows default ip address.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Autoconfiguration IP: 169.254.194.138
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
IP Add: fe80::2c0:9fff:fe15: 633a%4

If you just have 2 network cards in a computer you should not see the information in this paragraph Unless you are using a VPN or a bridge

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo Interface:
IP Add: fe80::5445:5245:444f%5

The Below paragraph if it was not bridged would look like the first one with a (Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:)

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo Interface:
IP Add: fe80::5efe:169.245.194.138%2

To burn that bridge open up network and internet connections left click on the bridge connection ( not the icon for your wireless card or ethernet NIC) and press delete on your keyboard
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Touched by his noodly appendage

• View blog

Posted 21 December 2004 - 03:08 AM

my dad had a similar problem (XP Pro), when he got his new motherboard, with a gigabit and 10/100 NICs onboard.

couldn't do anything and i got rid of the bridge in the network connections and all was good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:50 AM

but the connections aren't bridged...just to make sure of this i bridged them than removed it....still the same problem
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Touched by his noodly appendage

• View blog

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:27 PM

i hate to say it, but i'm betting on bad hardware...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:37 PM

nightshadedude, on Dec 17 2004, 09:42 AM, said:

When i am trying to connect to a lan, either wireless(in an airport) or wired(home) i have a problem where it won't connect.  The comp is using XP Home(not my choice) and whenever it tries to connect on either wired/wireless, it hangs for a good 2 minutes on acquiring network address, whereas our other comp has no problem. Then when it finally says its "connected" it has limited or no connectivity.

What is this poor computer doing???

I had the exact same problem, and this thread showed up high in the Google search. Here's the problem and the fix my roommate's cousin offered:

My roommate had just got a Netgear wireless 802.11g/b card for his desktop PC, and was going to use it to access my AirPort (first-generation) 802.11b wireless network; the AirPort is hooked up to a cable modem. The desktop had previously been connected to a cable modem via ethernet before trying to connect to my wireless network.

It connected just fine if no security (no WEP passwords) were used, but I didn't want to keep my network like that. So I enabled WEP (40-bit WEP password it says in the AirPort Admin Utility) and set a password. The desktop PC could see the wireless network, but got hung n "Acquiring network address" for a few minutes, then said something like "limited connectivity."

Solution: Instead of using a WEP password on the desktop PC, a "manual key" must be entered (this was entered in the Netgear-supplied driver software). To find the key, open up AirPort Admin Utility (in Mac OS X) and click "Password" in the top toolbar. This will give a long (> 8 characters anyway) hexadecimal phrase (consisting of numbers 0-9 and letters a-f) and that's what should be entered into the desktop PC.

Hope this helps and fixes some problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:10 AM

Even though it is a 6 month old thread no one posted a fix so it is still live. And welcome to DIC.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +