new programmer

i want to make an mmorpg i need to know what language to use or progra

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 1483 Views - Last Post: 10 May 2009 - 11:17 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

new programmer

Post icon  Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

me and my friends used to play runescape but it got lame so we've come up with some new ideas of our own for a mmorpg i was going to get into a carrer in game desinging anyways and this would be a good place for me to start so i was wondering what languages to use or what programs
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: new programmer

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: new programmer

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

View PostxXxbaxterxXx, on 12 Apr, 2009 - 05:05 PM, said:

me and my friends used to play runescape but it got lame so we've come up with some new ideas of our own for a mmorpg i was going to get into a carrer in game desinging anyways and this would be a good place for me to start so i was wondering what languages to use or what programs

Read the pinned article at the top of this topic about MMOs.

It is not as easy as you might think. It can take thousands of hours and lots of money.

I would suggest that you and your friends try writing a simple RPG first or get some other project under your belt.

Also, it would be a good idea to make a design document and a scheduling time table and figure out who is going to be responsible for what.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• No idea why my code works
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

I'll pretend you are as serious as my roomate and I are about making an RPG game (we are about halfway done). we have about 20 documents explaining different aspects of the game, all of which were written before code was written. One of those is a design document, as SixOfEleven mentioned. Because you have to be absolutely certain exactly how the game is going to work, and if you are not, your code is going to run into problems.

Also learn to make a single player/local multiplayer game first. MMO will only complicated things Massively.

I would start though by looking at some kinda Player class, talk about what attributes/weapons/skills it might have. Then make a combat engine to test your ideas. from there you place them on maps and make them move around and combat each other, etc...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:22 AM

Hi there

People seem to focus on the combat aspect of RPG's right away. Although an important part of any RPG ,the combat I feel is second to exploration and chatting to NPC's and other aspects.

I have noticed that most RPG's made by hobbyist's and the like never seem to get past the walk round and combat enemies stage. I think a good start would be to make it fun to walk around,explore and chat to NPC's. If its a 3D RPG how would you display and store all of the dialogue that is central to every RPG , same goes with a 2D RPG you need dialogue and a story before messing with a combat system.

I'm currently trying to make a 3D Action-RPG type game and haven't really thought about combat yet mostly because I wanted an excellent camera and also a cool way to display dialogue.

By all means make a combat system but there are other things that are just as important, if not more so.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

In my opinion, C++ is the way to go for just about anything. If I were you I would start out with simple games (after you have learned C++ of course) such as rock paper scissors, or tic tac toe (a good starting game that I recommend to make is a guessing game, in which the program picks a random number, and you have to keep guessing it, while the program says if you are too high or too low).

After that you can start making small 2d side scroller games (like mario) and work on player interaction with objects/enemies, and the combat aspect of the game.

Once you can make 2d side scrollers with ease, you should make it into a regular 2d game in which you can move anywhere (like pokemon).

Lastly, you can try make a small 3d single player game. In making this small 3d game, be sure to practice object interaction, combat system, AI's, and movement.

After this, you should be able to make a real game. Keep in mind that this process could take months/years.

Hope this helps! :)

This post has been edited by ROFL_A_PIGGY: 13 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:31 PM

Please refer to these topics:

To those of you who want to make an MMO game
http://www.dreaminco...wtopic59947.htm

Where to start with Game Programming?
http://www.dreaminco...wtopic87750.htm
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

View PostxXxbaxterxXx, on 12 Apr, 2009 - 05:05 PM, said:

So technically you need to know your math its not just languages and programs its not going to do it for you. So this involves vectors and all that stuff, which i don't have time to explain. But, C++ is best my opinion and there is specific program. Whatever suits you is the program you should use. I reccomend using Visual Studios 2008.
like i said thought its not just the tools you use that do the work its also lot and lots of math.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:31 PM

View PostSwiftStriker00, on 13 Apr, 2009 - 05:01 AM, said:

...have about 20 documents explaining different aspects of the game, all of which were written before code was written. ...

Having too much doc can actually really hurt you. That's probably several times more doc than you really need, because rigidly designed games usually produce rigidly boring games. If you have a ton writing the documents, and I really mean you are having a blast writing the documents however, then this changes things. Plus MORPG making doesn't necessarily take lots of money either.

The only thing any of this takes is time and work. I haven't finished an engine yet, I could have, but I just can't make up my mind on a particular engine design so I keep going through prototypes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:17 PM

Do you understand this piece of code?
unsigned int Render::construct()
{
	unsigned int id;

glGenTextures  (1, &id);
	glPixelStorei  (GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT, 1);
	glBindTexture  (GL_TEXTURE_2D, id);	
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_REPEAT);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_REPEAT);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
	glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);

glTexImage2D   (GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, format, width, height, 0, format, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, data);
	twidth [id] = width;
	theight[id] = height;

delete[] data;
	return id;
}
If not you will give up pretty soon because this will be one of the easier parts to develop. A hint is that it construct texture.

A MMO is a BIG project even if you want to make it smaller then runescape and even if you only want to make it in 2D. This piece of code is for a 2D game that at the moment is 848 lines of code and I cant even move a character yet! Just display tiles xD. My code might not be the best or the finest but I only have 2 year behind me in C++. Think about that when you count how many years you have with programming and especially game programming.

This post has been edited by FrozenSnake: 10 May 2009 - 11:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1