4 Replies - 7494 Views - Last Post: 13 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

what is difference between MYSql & Sql Server

Post icon  Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:03 AM

hi..
I am Prabhakar.. Please tell me what is difference between the MYSQL & SQL SERVER . can we use MYSQL in case of .NET Technology.

thanks & regards

prabhakar

*edit: Removed email. Please don't spam our board. Thanks.

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 13 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: what is difference between MYSql & Sql Server

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: what is difference between MYSql & Sql Server

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:45 AM

MYSQL is relatively universal. You should really consider the Oracle SQL 11g
The mysql has a .NET connector. Oracle can also work with it.
So what are you trying to do? You have posted a lot of random questions. Sounds like you are planning a sweet project. Let us know what you are coming up with and show us some code so we can assist.
if (code)
answers->setSolved(true);
else
break;

Comprende?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:50 AM

Consider using Oracle for a private project? Nah. Why do you advise that kind of large DBMS? Only if you need specific things of DB2, Oracle or something like those large ones, stick to the smaller MySQL or PostgreSQL. MS SQL Server is another option if you want easy access in .NET, however your databases are less portable. (And maintaining SQL server is not a thing I personally like)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

Each database platform has it's usefulness. MySQL, Oracle, PostgresSQL are typically found on a Unix or Linux platform... however I've just put up a wiki using MySQL on a windows platform and works just fine.

Microsoft Sql Server will only run on a Windows platform (XP Pro, & various flavors of MS Server).

For scaling purposes... they will all scale and perform reasonably well provided the database design is sound.

For high end, high performance database platforms you would probably be better off with Oracle or DB2.

Hope this helps.

Kurt
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

When using Microsoft tools, SQL Server is preferred. All Microsoft products try hard to be friends with other Microsoft products and only play nice with others when they have to. If MySQL meets your needs and you've gotten things to work, stick with it.

Oracle would not be my first recommendation; the learning curve for setup is still bad and it's one of the most expensive out there. It's what you want when you have a huge load. SQL Server is not as expensive, but it's still dear. It is very simple to set up and maintain and will handle large loads fine; just not the massive stuff the really big guys do. In the real world, very few applications measure their throughput in terabytes; if you do, consider Oracle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1