5 Replies - 1291 Views - Last Post: 26 April 2009 - 06:14 PM Rate Topic: -----

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Installing SQL Server 2008 Express Edition

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

Hi y'all.

I know how to use databases. If done work in SQL Server, Access and other databases that have been discontinued. I have never tried to install SQL Server, I've only used it.

Can any one give me some advice on how to install it on a single machine?

Thanks!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Installing SQL Server 2008 Express Edition

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Installing SQL Server 2008 Express Edition

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:19 PM

If you are a student you can get some sweet software that is free based off of Oracles 10g / 11g SQL Server applet. They have a way sweet program so let us know what your status is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

Sorry, are you hired by Oracle to advertise their products? This is a question not about their databases.

@6o/11: SQL server is packed with many M$ products, you can install those light versions. You need a .NET studio to be able to use/install a more decent version, or buy a licence from MS to be able to use the really decent versions. If the versions shipped with your IDE are not sufficient, try to find alternatives as installing full SQL Server is not fun (at all).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:53 PM

View PostHary, on 13 Apr, 2009 - 01:58 PM, said:

@6o/11: SQL server is packed with many M$ products, you can install those light versions. You need a .NET studio to be able to use/install a more decent version, or buy a licence from MS to be able to use the really decent versions. If the versions shipped with your IDE are not sufficient, try to find alternatives as installing full SQL Server is not fun (at all).

Thanks for the 411, I'll see what I can do with the SQL Server Compact version that came with the Express Editions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:48 AM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 13 Apr, 2009 - 09:53 PM, said:

View PostHary, on 13 Apr, 2009 - 01:58 PM, said:

Thanks for the 411, I'll see what I can do with the SQL Server Compact version that came with the Express Editions.

I'm not sure I understand your question about installing SQL Server Express...it's quite a simple download from the Microsoft Express download site. What exactly is your problem? If I can help give me a shout, I have this software on my own machine and it's really quite good to work with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:14 PM

I thought installing SQL Server Express 2008 was a real pain. For me, it would download and go through this and that and then come up with some unexpected error - no explanation - and then close. After that, it decided that whenever I would restart my computer, it would start installing again.

OH, and this is a little off topic, but relevant anyway...

Microsoft has that "SQL Server 2008 Experience" website up with discounts off books and a free e-learning class. The class is called Modifying Databases in SQL Server 2008 and there is a link w/a discount code.

So I click the link......it goes to a 2005 class by the same name & the discount code says it is invalid.

THEN when I emailed Microsoft about it, from their technical support email link...I get an undeliverable message from e-learn@arvatousa.com...when I had emailed microsoft.com...why Arvatousa??

And hell, while I am complaining about Microsoft...their VOIP phone system dropped my call three times on Friday. (About something completely unrelated).

Ok....I think I'm done now. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1