How to print labels from a software

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 760 Views - Last Post: 14 April 2009 - 04:33 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to print labels from a software

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:49 AM

Hello everyone, I am hopeful that people here will help me out of the problem am facing. Coming to the problem, I am developing a software which is used to keep various information of a student in one place, this data is fed by pasting the information from source to this software. Now if suppose I want the Address of a student to get printed in a labeled form, then how to do that.

thanks & regards

prabhakar

prabhu_chaubey2006@rediffmail.com, prabhu_chaubey2000@yahoo.com

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to print labels from a software

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How to print labels from a software

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:10 AM

I am developing a database for extracting information from a publicly-available voter file. It is a huge flat file containing over 900,000 records, and is updated weekly for downloading as a zipped text file, with the first row having assigned field names. It is pretty easy to just drop the table and import the entire file into the structure as long as I keep the data in one table.

I have developed a schema to split it into normalized tables, but now I don't see how to update the related tables without going through the entire split after updating the original table. Any suggestions on how to proceed will be greatly appreciated.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:12 AM

I have recently started learning php and know basics like insert, update, delete etc from a database.

I am trying to design a database as an exercise to try and learn/understand how it is done but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

I have attached an image of what I have done so far and would apprieate any pointers on what is wrong/right or should be changed.

I am trying to achieve the following rules for my database design.
(The design is for a website building company)

1. Each customer can place many orders
2. If the product is a website package it can come with 1 or more domains.
3. Each product from that order is then linked into a project.

An example would be customer name = Joe Bloggs

Joe places an order for 1 website and 2 domains (joebloggs.co.uk and joebloggs.com) in the same order he also buys a Logo Design for his website (this is a product with no domain name).

I have slightly confused myself again by typing all this but hopefully someone can understand what I am trying to achieve and can point me in the right direction.

thanks & reagrds

prabhakar
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Post icon  Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:13 AM

I have a table listing game results. In games there are two teams (team1 & team2) involved and the table contains score for both of them. The database contains games between many different teams.

What I am trying to accomplish is to create summaries for each of the teams. As a team can be either team1 or team2 in any of the games played, creating a single query to find all games for one team is a little complicated (not impossible :-)

I thought that it might make things simpler if I create a view which contains all games twice. The difference between the duplicate rows is that team1 and team2 have switched places.

1) what is the pseudo SQL code to do this (my initial attempts were not very successful and currently I trying a route where I create a temporary view which is a copy of my games table, although the teams have been reversed in the view... unfortunately I have a small roadblock in here as well :-)

2) is there a better approach than this duplicate rows in a view approach?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:14 AM

Hi, I'm creating a booking system for a ski resort and I am struggling with the normalization. Any help would be really appreciated.

Here's what I have so far:

Table Customer
Customer ID
Booking ID
Name
Address
Phone
Email

Table Booking
Customer ID
Booking ID
Hotel ID
Arrive
Depart
No of Adults
No of Children
No of Infants
Services ID
Total Cost

Table Hotels
HotelID
Hotel Name
No. of Stars
Address
Phone

Table HotelRooms
Room ID
Hotel ID
Room Type

Table Extras

Services ID
Booking ID
Ski Pass
Ski Equipment
Lessons
Creche
Total Cost

This is my first attempt at designing a database so I know I am probably way off. My main concern is the Extras table. Do I need this table or could I include this data in another table? Also, should I include the room cost in the Hotel Rooms table or the booking table? The user needs to be able to search for available rooms; what data do I need to include for this?

I'm sure I have made many more errors so any help would be much appreciated.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:16 AM

hi...... i am prabhakar
Can relation in Entity-Relationship diagram have an attribute which can be called as a primary key? Pardon me if it sounds silly!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:17 AM

Hey all i am in need of some help/advice on how to go about making this table for a project of mine.

It will be a coupon book database. The way the coupons are saved into the database is like this:
Code:

----------------------------------------------------- | Level | CoupPic | ExpDate | QTY | Company | FunR | -----------------------------------------------------

There are 3 levels to coupons. Basic, Silver, and Premium. Each will have a saved picture in the db how the coupon will look.

The Expdate is when the coupon will be voided (and deleted from the database).

The QTY is how many times the user is able to print out that particular coupon.

Company and FunR (fun raiser) are self explanatory.

Here is what the coupon db would look like populated with some data.
Code:

------------------------------------------------------------------------- | Level | CoupPic | ExpDate | QTY | Company | FunR | ------------------------------------------------------------------------- | Basic | (pic) | 02/22/09| 5 | Bobs | na | | Premium| (pic) | 05/10/09| 10 |Tacobell | Little League baseball | | Basic | (pic) | 10/02/09| 1 | temp2 | na | | Basic | (pic) | 04/20/09| 7 | temp3 | something | | Silver | (pic) | 12/20/09| 11 | temp3 | na |

There can be an unlimited amount of coupons per each level. Basic could have 100 coupons, Silver could have 150 and Premium could have 500.

Now for the users who will be getting these coupons. This is where i am having problems coming up with a solution. How would i be able to track how many times the user prints out a selected coupon from their purchased level if i do not know how many coupons will end up in the levels?

Here's what i am talking about:
Code:

------------------------------ | Name | EmailAd | CoupLevel | ------------------------------

Say user BOB with an email address of bob@here.com has level Basic. So lets say the Basic database houses about 50 company coupons.

Company A has a QTY of 5.
Company B has a QTY of 2.
Company C has a QTY of 10.
etc etc...

How can i keep track of each coupon in the level that the user prints out if the coupon db is unlimited on how many coupons enter and exit?

Hopefully i have explained it enough in order for you all to understand If not, please feel free to ask more questions about it.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:19 AM

Hi,

I'm in charge for many databases from different vendors.
I am looking for a infrastructure database that holds information about
machines
databases (from different vendors)
instances
schemas
and, most of all, licences.

Thinks get trickty if you want to consider the different point of views like hardware, license, db vendor, redundancy or the dbapplication.
Is any DBA aware of a neat solution that could be shared?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:21 AM

Hello all,

I am working on my first database project and just needed to air my thinking and hope for a little input.

Basically I am working on a system to track computer software licenses. I am trying to keep track of what licensed software is installed on an organization's computer system so I know if a program that has been installed on a PC is covered by an appropriate license.

So far I have an entity called LICENSE with the attributes Lic_Id, ProductName, Version, Quantity, Type, and ExpirationDate.

I have also got an entity called COMPUTER and another entity called INSTALLED_SOFTWARE that will be related to COMPUTER. INSTALLED_SOFTWARE will be the table that has the instances of all licensed software installed on a specific computer and has attributes ProductName, Version, Lic_Id, Computer_Id. An example instance would probably look like:
Windows, XP Pro, 22, 30.

My thinking is getting clouded though when I deal with upgrades. In that case for example, say I have Windows XP Pro installed on a computer, but it was an upgrade. In that case I would need to know that a computer is covered by a license for the upgrade AND a license for a previous version (ie Windows XP Home).

How would you handle something like this?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:22 AM

hi
how are u
i am new in this forum
i am facing problem in my inventory management system dataflow diagram
can any one help me to correct it
i am waiting for your respone

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:23 AM

i need help to do this requiremnet as ERD

if i have

the conference is identified by the year (unique) and described by city, location, chairman, an organizing committee, a set of participants, and a set of papers (articles). It is required to keep track of the total number of participants and papers for each conference occurrence.
and
participant is identified by a number (unique), and described by a name, category (distinguished lecturer, chairman, member of an organizing committee, author... etc.) and E-mail address. A participant in any conference occurrence may pay certain fees which is determined according to his/her category. It is required to keep track of the total fees for each particular conference occurrence

i need help to make this requiremnt as ERD

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:24 AM

I'm trying to bootstrap myself into an understanding of dimensional database design, so forgive.....

One of our requirements is that an analytic user group be able to add a new attribute to an analysis database within an hour.

They have a SQL-savy analyst who can modify a table and add the requested new data.

I'm thinking of creating a primary customer dimension table that contains the previously agreed-to data elements. Our production group would load that table on a periodic basis (quarterly) when the source data is refreshed. I'm also thinking of creating an "auxiliary" customer fact table that this user analyst could modify and update as needed. This way we'd receive both the benefits of the production processes our development team has put in place, while providing the user group the flexibility and responsiveness they require.

Does this sound like a good (or acceptable) approach?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:26 AM

Hello Everyone,

I look at an automotive sales report each month that lists number of cars sold by brand. The hierarchy of this data is as such:

Parent company -> Make -> Type -> Model

One 'parent company' (ex. GM) will have many 'makes' (ex Buick, or Cadillac, or Chevrolet, etc). One 'make' has one of two 'types' (car or truck), and for each type there are several models (1 Series, 3 Series, etc).

Each month I would like to add the new sales data when the report is issued.

I am wondering if I should create a new table for each parent company, and in the table have fields 'Make', 'Type', 'Model' and 'Sales'. Is this the most logical and efficient way to structure this data?

Any suggestions are more than welcome. I appreciate the help in advance.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:28 AM

Hey,

I have a preexisting database with tables Teacher, Principal, AssistantPrincipal. I want to create a WebLogin Entity (WebLoginId, Username, Password) that shares a one to one relationship with each of the tables above. For every teacher, there is exactly one corresponding WebLogin. For every WebLogin, there is exactly one corresponding teacher.

My first thought is to create a relation such as WebLogin(WebLoginId, Username, Password, TeacherId, PrincipalId, AssistantPrincipalId).
The TeacherId, PrincipalId, and AssistantPrincipalId would be foreign keys into their respective tables. However, in this method, two of the employee IDs are always left null.

Is there a more elegant solution? I'm quite new at this.

Thanks!

prabhu_chaubey2006@rediffmail.com,prabhu_chaubey2000@yahoo.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:29 AM

I need some advice on the best way to design a database that's going to hold time series data. I have many different symbols I want to record data for, and for each symbol I might have 1 - 10 data points per time frame. Think of a symbol as a key with 1 - 4 dimensions. So for symbol <id1, id2, id3> I might want to store 10 different data points each time step, while symbol <id1> might need just 4 data points.

Right now, in SQL Server 2005, I store groups of related data in different tables. For the symbols, I just have one column per dimension (e.g. columns {id1, int}, {id2, int}, {id3, varchar(50)}). Then I have a datetime with the timestamp.

One thing I might do is get all the data for a particular timestamp: easy enough, just select where timestamp='___'. Another thing I might do is request a particular symbol: where id1=XX and id2=XX and id3=XX. I might also just specify a desired id1, but nothing for id2 or id3 (i.e. I want all id2's and id3's). In general, I won't specify a constraint on idY unless I've specified constraints on idX where X<Y. So, for example, I would never have a query where I just specify a constraint on id3.

The problem with this is that with tens of millions of rows in a given table, querying for a particular <id1, id2, id3> (there are about 75k unique such trinary keys) across multiple timestamps is slow. I need this query to be under 1 or 2 seconds. I tried putting a clustered index on the timestamp column, and a non-clustered index on the set of columns that compose the symbol. Doing this in a table with 200 million rows and 3 columns in the symbol, asking for every entry for a particular <id1, id2, id3> takes over 20 seconds. Am I just pushing SQL Server too far here?

In practice I want to ask for all data for a specified timestamp or all data for a range of timestamps for a specified symbol. For client apps that need this data, I had to resort to writing an app that loads relevant data from the DB into memory, and my client apps get data from this server instead of straight from the database. But after some google searching I found suggestions that SQL Server should be fine for fast queries of time series data, yet I haven't found a specific solution confirming this.

Am I doing something wrong with my indexes here? I can always add more - disk space isn't an issue - but I would like inserts/deletes (generally done as a complete dataset for a given timestamp) to take under 5 seconds. I thought about breaking up data into different tables, but then querying across symbols and/or across timestamps seems to become a huge hassle. Is there a better way to design this, or a better system altogether?

prabhu_chaubey2006@rediffmail.com,prabhu_chaubey2000@yahoo.com
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +