• Last »

209 Replies - 58519 Views - Last Post: 30 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

C++ Programmer Roll Call!

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

POPULAR

In this thread, we'll keep a list of C and C++ Programmers here at Dream.In.Code. I'd like to hear what you C and C++ grinders are working on, both professionally and personally. Many on the site know that I spent better than 15 years cranking out C and C++ (among other languages) code before hanging it up as a day job (although I still do it for my side company) Reply to this thread and we'll try to keep an updated list up at the top of our C and C++ coders.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 24 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 9
  • +

Replies To: C++ Programmer Roll Call!

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C++ Programmer Roll Call!

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

I've been coding in C/C++ for about 2 years in total now. As far as personal projects go, I'm working on a Pure Peer-to-Peer filesharing program that only shares between other nodes under your gateway. We've decided to call it avaLANSH.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

Cool! how's it going with the development...any major challenges? What was the motivation behind it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

The motivation behind it was pretty much that I wanted a programming project that would challenge me, and get me to learn new technologies. I noticed at the same time that a lot of people in my dorm shared files often and had really roundabout ways of doing it, so I wanted to make a way for people on the same network to easily share files without having to trade external hard drives or pass flash drives back and forth.

The biggest challenge has been trying to get other people to get involved with it. Since I'm just working with friends on it and most of them are freshman/sophomore CS students without much experience, it's hard to get them to learn extracurricular things, and I feel bad if I bug them too much to work on it. So most of the time it just ends up being me working on it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

I've been coding in C since '96, both Linux & Windows.

On Linux I'm currently working on the Source Forge project sphirewall, which is a Linux GUI firewall that you can configure much like your Linksys router. I implemented the IDS, port scanning, & configuration scripts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

I've been programming in C and C++ the longest out of any language I've done (which is what 3 years maybe? still haven't scratched a tick on a dog compared to some of you). I've done things from OOP app development to game programming (Direct X). I just finished up a file access system in C so all my current endeavors are either in java or lua.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

Amadeus, I thought you said our top C and C++ coders, which would leave me out. But since you didn't say that...

I like to program in C++. Right now I'm taking another C++ class in college, and even though I have a degree in programming, my coding skills are quite inferior to most of yours. You could call me a C++ coder wannabe, maybe.

All I'm working on currently are assignments, and trying to help other n00bs here, some of whom are even n00bier than me. (boring, & no links either, sorry)

This post has been edited by OliveOyl3471: 15 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:26 AM

View PostKYA, on 15 Apr, 2009 - 11:21 PM, said:

I've been programming in C and C++ the longest out of any language I've done (which is what 3 years maybe? still haven't scratched a tick on a dog compared to some of you). I've done things from OOP app development to game programming (Direct X). I just finished up a file access system in C so all my current endeavors are either in java or lua.

How did you find working with DirectX? Game dev is one the areas I've never really explored fully (lack of creativity I'm afraid).

View PostOliveOyl3471, on 16 Apr, 2009 - 12:48 AM, said:

I like to program in C++. Right now I'm taking another C++ class in college, and even though I have a degree in programming, my coding skills are quite inferior to most of yours. You could call me a C++ coder wannabe, maybe.

LOL, We're all coders...learning is the important part. School or not, it never really stops (well it has for me...brain does not have the capacity for further knowledge ;) ).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:41 AM

View PostAmadeus, on 16 Apr, 2009 - 05:26 AM, said:

How did you find working with DirectX? Game dev is one the areas I've never really explored fully (lack of creativity I'm afraid).

I like it, but progress is slow when i have to look up reference names every 10 seconds. Some are ridiculously long. D3DXVECTOR4 is about as long as I think any one data structure's name should be. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:38 AM

View PostAmadeus, on 16 Apr, 2009 - 07:26 AM, said:

LOL, We're all coders...learning is the important part.

View PostAmadeus, on 16 Apr, 2009 - 07:26 AM, said:

School or not, it never really stops (well it has for me...brain does not have the capacity for further knowledge ;) ).

Oh...so I could tell you anything, and it wouldn't really matter because you'd not remember it anyway! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:16 PM

I haven't coded nearly as much as some of you, however I feel I at least understand the basics of the language.

Well, I have progressed through the c++ portion of my CS degree at a public university, and am now on Perl and Java in my classes.

I still have challenges in programing with c++, not necessarily with the data structures but more with actually creating viable applications. Graphics, sound, and windows functions are my new learning curve at the moment.

I check these forums mainly, because I realize how frustrating c++ errors were to me when I first started and really wished I had found this site long before I did. So, on that note I do like to post suggestions to questions on the c++ forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

That's a good approach...there is a school of thought that says the best way to learn something is to teach it to someone else. I've found that to be true on more than one occasion.

Although many languages have fairly user friendly error messages, no one ever accused my beloved C or C++ of that. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

View PostAmadeus, on 16 Apr, 2009 - 03:36 PM, said:

That's a good approach...there is a school of thought that says the best way to learn something is to teach it to someone else. I've found that to be true on more than one occasion.

One of the things that really helped me out whenever I was first learning C++ was giving lectures to friends of mine in the CS department on C++. They told me I was the better than their C++ teachers, probably because english was my first language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

I have been coding in C++ since 1993. I began with Borland C++ 3.0. in about '98 I learned about gcc on HP-UX. Did a lot of reports and stuff in my Unix admin role in C++. When I got to college everything was Java and so that is where I was pulled into the dark side.

I work in Java. BUT, I spend most of my time here on DIC pontificating about C++. So at this point I would say that I am mostly an academic C++ programmer and don't have a lot of practical experience in the last 8 or so years. But I do love to play... DIC helps keep me sharp.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:49 AM

I started C++ a couple of years ago as my first language. I develop all sorts of stuff in all sorts of languages, but C++ is definitely my baby. I use it whenever I get a chance.

Currently working on a game engine:
http://svn.gabehabe....1/Simple+Engine

I try to do a little C++ every day, it's almost an obsession. I'm even teaching it to a 10 year old, who I managed to teach to make a random number guessing game after three hours. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »