• +
  • Last »

209 Replies - 57079 Views - Last Post: 30 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C++ Programmer Roll Call!

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:47 AM

10 years old and will know far more about C++ then you when she is 12... you have to be careful when you present this stuff soak this stuff right up. Never let them know all of your secrets... else they kill you an take your place.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:13 PM

View PostNickDMax, on 17 Apr, 2009 - 07:47 AM, said:

10 years old and will know far more about C++ then you when she is 12... you have to be careful when you present this stuff soak this stuff right up. Never let them know all of your secrets... else they kill you an take your place.

Which is a shame, that's why knoweldge isn't passed around easily or handed out freely in the workplace. People are more concerned about job security then helping their co workers. When everyone grows in knowledge and ability, it increases the bottom line.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

View PostNickDMax, on 17 Apr, 2009 - 06:47 AM, said:

thats not a fair attitude
and just how of curioucity (sorry for my spelling)
how do you know the kid is a "she" ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

Theres just something about C++ that when done right just looks and runs great (OOP is great).

Other languages that claim to be simpler and easier to learn confuse me a bit :s

Been programming in c++ for 1 and a half years now so still very new but it's got something new to teach me everyday so its worth plugging away at :)

Currently making a 3D exploration game using OpenGL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

Sometime after '83 I was shown how C was better than using Fortran for the type of projects I was involved. BASIC just wasn't the thing you needed for embedded controllers. So all my coding was now C. It's so much easier than assembler. :)

When C++ showed, I tried. Years of code wasn't going to change ( my company, my budget, all internal applications ) when the old had been tuned to work very well over many years. So I'm working with C again. It gets what I need done.

B)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Bastard Operator From Hell
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:35 PM

Most of my experience is in C, and C++, C was the first language I learned followed by C++, after 5+ Years of C, and 3 years of C++, the possibilities are endless for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:43 PM

For the record, the 10 year old is a "he." :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:37 AM

2 years C/C++ development for me

No major projects yet (apart from the seemingly endless stream that Uni sends my way)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

Lets see. I haven't been doing much with C/C++ lately. I do have experience with it in my college years as all my programming classes were C/C++ based: OOP, MFC, OS (driver development).

Most recently I've written a library that talks to avionics equipment .
I've also worked as an application developer using win32/WTL. Part of this job was also
to develop a NDIS driver for windows to replace the TDI driver that the application was using.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

I currently write C++ (amongst other things like PHP and Perl) for a living with a software development company. In the distant past I've written small games and IRC clients and stuff like that, but I've been out of practice - it's only in the last 6 months that I've come back to C/C++. But I like it :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:39 AM

View PostBlakeJustBlake, on 15 Apr, 2009 - 05:27 PM, said:

I noticed at the same time that a lot of people in my dorm shared files often and had really roundabout ways of doing it, so I wanted to make a way for people on the same network to easily share files without having to trade external hard drives or pass flash drives back and forth.

Couldn't the same be done by putting the files in a shared folder much easier? Not really a programming solution, but hey, I'm lazy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:45 AM

View PostKYA, on 17 Apr, 2009 - 01:13 PM, said:

Which is a shame, that's why knoweldge isn't passed around easily or handed out freely in the workplace. People are more concerned about job security then helping their co workers. When everyone grows in knowledge and ability, it increases the bottom line.

I'm the kind who will gladly share my knowledge; sad thing is, nobody wants to learn. I've tried using my programming knowledge at work to make things easier and there are those who refuse to learn new things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:07 AM

I had two quarters of C++ in college, and one of parallel programming in C, but I'm still somewhat of a novice at it. I didn't start programming a lot in C++ until I got to my current job, and I've sort of needed to learn as I go. Java is my best and favorite language, but I know a few more. Currently, I'm fighting with SWIG to integrate Java and C++. Take it from me about SWIG--it's a wonderful tool, but you have to be prepared to tear out most (if not all) of your hair, and lose a lot of sleep and sanity. :) Back to the original topic, though, C++ is a pretty neat language from my perspective, and not that hard to learn as you go. This forum was quite a help though. ;)

Zel2008
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:32 AM

I've tried using my programming knowledge at work to make things easier and there are those who refuse to learn new things.

Yeah, it's a shame that people are too lazy to learn things that might help them. Personally I like programming, because you can learn it on a small scale, and then take it to manage over 1,000,000 different pieces of information in a relational database. In the end it is more productive in my opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

I wouldn't really consider myself a C++ programmer. I don't use it that often. I've taken one class on it, and I'm planning on taking the next one on it next semester.

I haven't really made many programs outside of class, but I consider myself a fundamental C++ programmer. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »