• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

209 Replies - 58081 Views - Last Post: 30 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: C++ Programmer Roll Call!

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hello Everybody a beautiful day to code isnt it?

Well i started learning basic before i even had a computer all i was waiting for was to get one. Then finally got one, found it had Qbasic on it and went buck wild. Then i got my hands on Qbasic 4.5 and then 7.1 and could turn the .bas sourcefiles into .exe executables SCORE! Then i got a new computer and it had VisualBasic i dont remember the version that was a while ago. Then in highschool they had a computer science class teaching c++. I didnt know c++ or ever heard of it but i said lets get it. Well since i was already used to programing logic in procedual programming it was a quick pick up and i spent most of my class time learning OOP away and before the rest of the class. The teacher (one of the coolest i ever had, one day he says he needs to loose weight and a student said sorry for keeping your wife from you so the teacher replies its ok i got your mom LMAO everybody laughed and we got back to work) he saw i was ahead of the class and let go of the leash and said do your thing. We were doing the basic console programs but that wasnt enough for me so i hit the internet and found a graphics library someone had wrote. it was just something simple but it was a step forward. I eventualy lost the library and cant find it anymore but it would be out dated now anyway. So the next year was AP-A computer science took the exam and passed. Then the next year the AP program went to Java and i had already messed with java and didnt like it, mainly becuase i couldnt find any way to get user input all the book and answers i was finding were all only dealing with output, so it was bye bye java for me and i had dropped out of school in 10th there was money to be made and school wasnt cutting it. Then When i was almost 18 i had to get my diploma so i could go in the Army. Went in as EOD(the guys from the hurt locker if you didnt know that its Explosive Ordnance Disposal aka The Bomb Squad) Still worked on my c++ when i had time. Then the Army stole my computer and hard drives so there went all of that. Then i get home and went and got Code::Blocks it worked better than all the other free compilers and IMO forget VS express where i have to pay to have distributable .exes.

Currently im trying to polish my Win32 programming, and work more with DirectX and OpenGL. I want to check out OpenAL and see what thats all about too.

Heres some photos of my reading material up to now: and yep theres the good ol' PPP in there too

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Why have you got so many old books? Wouldn't it be better to have fewer up-to-date ones, ones that you will actually read rather than display?!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

View PostButchDean, on 10 April 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

Why have you got so many old books? Wouldn't it be better to have fewer up-to-date ones, ones that you will actually read rather than display?!

well those are from my programming lifetime and i dont always have money to buy books so every once in a while ill get a new book but most times i just go on line to the MSDN library, or just search for what i need and then try and modify what i see into what i need and for it to work with my compiler. Then when i cant find the answer in a tutorial or documentation then i hit the forums to see what others know that im missing. But the age of those books just goes to show how long ive been working with programming. My first OS on my first personal computer was Windows 3.1, and i was like whoa this has pictures guys no more white letters on a black background. Before that the only computers i got to use were UNIX. This was all when i was just a youngin' around 6 to 10 years old and it wasnt till i was 11 that i got the 3.1 Windows and got ahold of Qbasic and thought this is so much better than basic and then continued from there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

Cool. Have you got anything to show from your learning?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

View PostButchDean, on 10 April 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

Cool. Have you got anything to show from your learning?

well all my old programs are long gone when my computer got stolen(pre-army), then my computer(a new one) and hard drives were stolen by the Army. Then i had problems with my computer i have know and bam everything gone again. All of that demotivated me for a little while and i would just program a little bit here and there for small little things but nothing serious. I had to fit programing in to my work schedule and other schedules. I recently came upon an indeterminate amount of free time, so im getting back on the ball and actively working on my code. And as long as my cd/dvd burners dont crap out on me i should be able to back my stuff up against all the thieves and viruses of the world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

ya, I have 1 old book, the original addition of "the dragon book". While there is some useful information in there but the code is horribly outdated and implementation details are completely invalid.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

I also have some old books by prominent authors, but only look at them to compare old to new methods.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

i dont really use the old ones much if at all any more they kinda have sentimental value and my mom was a librarian so it just doesnt feel right to through them in the trash. As new books come to me the older ones move down the line. The book ive been feening for i stare at every time i went on break at work and walked to barnes and noble is the OpenGL Super Bible but its 60$ and i dont quite have that much to splurge with so i gotta keep to the tutorials and things i find online. Other than my 2 years of HS im all self taught, with help from online forums and tutorials and what ever books i can get ahold of.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's a 16-Bit World!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Well, if this topic is still active, I am also a C++ programmer.. Currently I am just a 16 year student, with no projects at hand, trying to learn C/C++ !!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

I converted from Pascal to C in 1989 with help from a great book, "C for the Pascal Programmer". There should be more books like that, today. I embraced C++ in the mid-90s (blurry about exactly when).

I was originally a systems programmer in the old CTOS days. My business-related desktop work is typically Windows communications (TCP/IP with mobile devices) and data conversion. Most of my efforts, though, go into mobile device solutions involving barcodes or RFID.

Personal projects run from stock market analysis to Scrabble cheat software (never use it in competition, but had to create them when my wife and I got hooked on Words with Friends).

C++ rocks! I have to actively (on-demand) manage about 100 projects. Sometimes mods are 5 years apart. Sometimes 5 days. I almost always have 2 or 3 in some stage of development. With the libraries I've developed over the years, and C++, it's cake. I tried looking at C# and walked away wondering, "Why?" Did I mention that C++ rocks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

I've been coding C++ for 13 years. C for 9 of them, but I always preferred C++, what's your opinion?

- RCR

This post has been edited by RCR: 14 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Hi! i don't know if this thread is still open. Im currently working on my own string/file stream class.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:28 AM

I am working in C++/VC++ for 2 years in a retail domain

View PostRCR, on 14 August 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

I've been coding C++ for 13 years. C for 9 of them, but I always preferred C++, what's your opinion?

- RCR

Obviously C++ has many advantages over C, however C is used for hardware programming more than C++
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

I do c++ as well as java script and html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostJoyal1234, on 30 April 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

I am working in C++/VC++ for 2 years in a retail domain

View PostRCR, on 14 August 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

- RCR

Obviously C++ has many advantages over C, however C is used for hardware programming more than C++

This is an overstatement IMO. You can use just the C subset in C++ and therefore write the same code. C++ is a general systems programming language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (14 Pages)
  • +
  • « First