• (3 Pages)
  • +

35 Replies - 2068 Views - Last Post: 21 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Virginia Tech

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:57 PM

So I heard today (or was it yesterday. I can't remember) was VT's 2 year ummmm anniversary of the shooting. There was no school in rememberance. Do you think that school shootings should make people ban weapons? How's about security on campus? My school doesn't have like metal detectors at the entrance or anything, but do you think they should increase security and how?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Virginia Tech

• May Your Swords Stay Sharp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Virginia Tech

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:03 PM

Anyone with a gun at the campus should be hung out to dry.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:27 PM

I don't know of a single university here in Canada that has a single metal detector. AS far as I know banning weapons in the States is not constitutional. As every citizen has the right to bear arms. So I don't know how well banning guns would fly. However I do think that steps need to be taken to reduce gun violence, especially at schools. Living in a country with less than a couple thousand gun deaths per year, we don't really have too much of a problem with it here. However in the states I do think it is an issue that requires a serious amount of attention.

Now back to the previous question. Do you think they should increase security? That depends in my opinion. If the school can do anything to save a life in my opinion they really should. Even if it does mean spending a little extra money.

That's my 2 cents.

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Expert Schmexpert...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:19 AM

Increasing security comes at the cost of reduced integrity.
Just ban the weapons.. That constitution is really really old, it's about time they make some changes to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:54 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 16 Apr, 2009 - 05:57 PM, said:

So I heard today (or was it yesterday. I can't remember) was VT's 2 year ummmm anniversary of the shooting. There was no school in rememberance. Do you think that school shootings should make people ban weapons? How's about security on campus? My school doesn't have like metal detectors at the entrance or anything, but do you think they should increase security and how?

No the school shooting should not push people to ban weapons. I mean what the hell is that? Weapons? What constitutes a weapon? My plastic knife I get in the cafeteria? Nail clippers? Pens? Shivs? My two massive guns: law and order?

Implementing campus wide security would be a nightmare. First you concede that unless you dome over your whole campus the public outside areas are unsecured. Second.. you would have to implement metal detectors at every damn door on ever damn building. Staff that with two or three people. Maybe give one or two of those folks guns to put down anyone afflicted by 'angry asian man syndrome' (or how ever FoxNews put it).

Statically college campuses are quite safe. The worst they get are a few drunk college kids and parking tickets. The cost/benefit game played in this economy would maybe have a few more first responders, but really this is something the police need to deal with.

That or have a frat sponsor a gun safety and marksmanship event.

View PostGloin, on 17 Apr, 2009 - 01:19 AM, said:

Increasing security comes at the cost of reduced integrity.
Just ban the weapons.. That constitution is really really old, it's about time they make some changes to it.

Frank Swede - go suck an egg. I like my constitution as it is. For having an alleged document dating back to 1600 or so I say you got us on the age thing. Not to mention - you still have a king? Aww.. cute! Side jab - it's nice that you all separated church and state ten years ago. Thanks for playing.

Oh, my condolences about Denmark. :P http://en.wikipedia....by_(South_Park)

I kid Gloin.. I kid.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:59 AM

Twas an excellent episode two days ago.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

View PostGloin, on 17 Apr, 2009 - 01:19 AM, said:

We like our guns here. We rather enjoy the idea that if the powers that be pissed off it's citizens so completely heinously those citizens could rise up and blow the oppressors away. Let's face it, that's why the clause is in there. The beautiful thing about the US constitution is that it is a government document that essentially distrusts the government. And yes, we're proud of that.

The guns are here. Period. Banning has never worked, at least not in the US. I'm reasonably certain that at any college campus in the US you can acquire whatever illegal substances you want. The "war on drugs" has been an utter failure, a war on guns would be the same.

The only effect of banning is to create a black market. It's simply naive to believe criminalization makes something go away.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

Valid Points everyone... However I think that everyone here agrees that school shootings are not cool and every step possible that can be taken needs to be taken to prevent them from happening. Agreed?

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

The reason we have that part of the constitution is so we can rebel against the government if they get too powerful, the militia can take over (revolutionary war style).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:23 AM

View Postmarkhazlett9, on 17 Apr, 2009 - 10:11 AM, said:

Valid Points everyone... However I think that everyone here agrees that school shootings are not cool and every step possible that can be taken needs to be taken to prevent them from happening. Agreed?

Cheers

What, don't you own a 'school shooting tour' shirt from tshirt hell?

How about you define this nebulous "every step possible" statement? Is that preventative measures like psych profile students every three weeks? 24/7 surveillance looking for suspicious behavior that would indicate a potential moral break down and a shooting spree? That might only work on kids who live on campus, but what about the other chunk that do not?

I'm not sure sure about other campuses, but my alma mater was a fairly metropolitan. We got dorms maybe 10 years ago. People came and went all the time.

The VTech thing could have easily been just another "mall shooting" or what have you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

Banning guns will not stop shootings, it is already illegal to have guns at the campuses, if you ban guns it will only take them out of the hands of the honest people who have them for special reasons The criminals will still get the guns either way, thats what makes them criminal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:07 AM

View Postmarkhazlett9, on 17 Apr, 2009 - 10:11 AM, said:

Sure. Maybe. School shootings are bad. But school==prison is also bad.

After school shootings, may schools implemented draconian policies out of fear. Disciplining children for bringing in a can open for lunch, or nail clippers, or even a pointy hair pin. The problem with a perpetually policed environment is that it says to the inhabitants "we don't trust you, we are scared of you, your discomfort doesn't matter to us."

Anyone with a brain cell can get contraband into a school if they really want to. The "every possible step" is just a way of deflecting responsibility. In the process, resentment inevitably grows. What will happen is that kids who are really annoyed will bring stuff in just to prove they can, if even they wouldn't have otherwise.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

One of the things I really disagree with out here is how easy it is to buy guns.

I've done it. You walk into wal-mart, pick your shotgun, then grab some ammo. They say you can't buy the ammo at the same time as the gun, and ask you to walk out of the store and then come back in. Then they sell you the ammo.

The kid at VT had legally bought several guns which could never be used for hunting. How did this happen?

EDIT: Other countries with stricter gun laws do not have nearly as much problems as America has with guns. So I think the argument that stricter laws would not make any difference.

If a high school kid get's caught with a little bag of weed, he get's jail time, no degree, no college (basically), and alternate schooling. One bag of a substance that can't even kill you, and his future is gone. But it's perfectly legal to buy five different handguns, all designed not to be shot at animals, but to be shot at people.

This post has been edited by c0mrade: 24 April 2009 - 08:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

If a high school kid get's caught with a little bag of weed, he get's jail time, no degree, no college (basically), and alternate schooling. One bag of a substance that can't even kill you, and his future is gone. But it's perfectly legal to buy five different handguns, all designed not to be shot at animals, but to be shot at people.

Thats the way the law is if you can't do the time then don't do the crime. If you don't like the law try to change it. Not following it because you don't agree with it doesn't work. Unless you organize mass protests in order to change the law.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:28 PM

View PostBigAnt, on 25 Apr, 2009 - 09:07 AM, said:

Thats the way the law is if you can't do the time then don't do the crime. If you don't like the law try to change it. Not following it because you don't agree with it doesn't work. Unless you organize mass protests in order to change the law.

You know that post had nothing to do with marijuana...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +