Too many skills?

Page 1 of 1

13 Replies - 1346 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Resume Criticism

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

I've been applying for internships lately and the last one I applied to ended up with me being insulted for my resume - basically that I list too many skills and that I must be 46 (Actual words from this guy). I changed it, but then, I never thought it was too much to begin with. I have both the updated version and the old version. Could you tell me which one looks better and whether or not the old version does list too many skills? I don't list any skill I can't provide (on demand) code examples for, so I didn't think it was necessarily bad to list them all. Was it just him or does it turn employers off?

Note that NewResume is the new one. Which leads me to another question. I accidentally sent it to an employer with the name myresume. Should I politely resend it after changing its name to <myname>.pdf or is it not really important as long as my email and resume are professional enough?

Old:[attachment=11426:attachment]

New:[attachment=11427:attachment]

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Resume Criticism

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Resume Criticism

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

To me (and I'm not a professional by any means), it might not have been the number of skills listed, but the manner in which they were portrayed. The old one has a semi wall of text.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

I've found that skills on your resume that don't relate to the job that you are applying for can hurt your chances. The interviewer can take that these are skills you are pursuing, & when you don't use them you'll look elsewhere for employment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

Second resume is better in my opinion.

Just some tips
* Try to shorten it up to one page.
* Get rid of the image at the top.
* Don't list three phone numbers and then say "cell is preferred". If you want them to call you on your cell, then just list your cell and make sure to leave it on.
* Make better use of the space open to the right of your header.
* Toss the "attributes" section.
* Use bullets, comma-delimited lists are harder to read.
* Maybe divide your skills up by category. IIRC I have something like "Software development (C/C++, Lisp, Java)" on mine.
* Replace "computer use" with "Microsoft Office".

I don't know if the name of the file is really that big of a deal as long as it isn't like "shitfuckpiss.pdf".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:24 AM

As stated in another thread, dont use an AOL email address, use your school address or college or something. It looks more professional and looks a lot better
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:02 AM

View PostFurnfield, on 17 Apr, 2009 - 10:24 AM, said:

As stated in another thread, dont use an AOL email address, use your school address or college or something. It looks more professional and looks a lot better

This really is the least of his concerns. An email address is an email address, and only a fool of a hiring manager would take that into consideration.

I'd work on the formatting with the goal of getting exactly two dense and descriptive pages.
  • move "cell is preferred" sentence to "(Preferred)" after cell phone number in header.
  • Move "Job History" section up, so it is between "skills" and "Education".
  • Hard to read because of very random capitalization.
  • Don't put space between blocks within. So:
Member National Society of High School Scholars, 2007-Present

instead of

Member National Society of High School Scholars
2007-Present

• Be careful with your wording. "Responsible for assisting Mr. Jon Stang in creating and maintain the school’s website" is pretty bad. "Responsible for assisting" is nearly passive; "Assisted" is better. Outlining your specific duties, including the language you used and the work you did, would be better.
  • Most of your bullet items have this problem. Wrote articles: how many, how often? Whas subjects, what language? Reporter, too?
  • What's the difference between "2006 & 2007" and "2006 - 2007" ? Be consistent, be clear.
  • Expand "Job History" section. What did you really do? What's a "New Intranet"? What did you use those languages for? What was the extent of the "Help Desk" app? Did you design it, or just implement it? What did the customers think? How many queries/requests does this system handle per day? How complex is the database? Who designed it? How many pages/screens in the UI? Is it still in use today, or was it a throwaway intern project?
  • "Attributes" section is trite.

Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:30 AM

Okay, so I revised it again. Better? Also, as for the email, i'll change it to my student address, but I have to agree with MikeBlas. If the reason I don't get a job is because I happen to have an AOL email adrress listed, then I probably don't want to work there. I have my email addresses separated by purpose and the AOL one is my business email, followed by Tntech which is used only for college related things and I even have a hotmail for all the other stuff (read crap). What does my email address being @aol.com say about me other then I happen to have an aol email address?

Also, should I just remove Extra Curricular Activities or do they actually help since I don't really have job experience?

Oh and is it okay to list Federal Work Study? I mean, technically I have a supervisor and I do get paid for the work.

[attachment=11477:attachment]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

Your job history should not contain paragraphs. Each job function should be a single phrase. If you need to elaborate, you can use bullet points.

You graduated from high school in 2008...there is no conceivable way you should have a two page resume. Condense.

But congrats on the salutatorian & other awards, it is impressive...still needs more work, though =)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

View PostSue816, on 22 Apr, 2009 - 03:34 PM, said:

Your job history should not contain paragraphs. Each job function should be a single phrase. If you need to elaborate, you can use bullet points.
I disagree. I think it's imperative to convey the work that happened and the candidate's role in that work, and that's what Charles is doing. It's certainly possible to make it a little less verbose. I've also corrected several grammar and spelling errors here:

Responsible for repair work, computer maintenance, and support for computer hardware and software issues. Built a desktop system using spare parts to be used in an office.

Designed, implemented and distributed a help desk application for use within the plant. The application included seven forms, interacted with an existing Microsoft SQL Server database, had SMTP support to raise alerts to plant and corporate IT staff. It is still in use and handles more than twenty-five requests per day.

Designed and implemented an existing VB6 application while porting the application to VB.NET and the ADO framework. The application accesses an existing Microsoft SQL Server database to track work orders maintenance crews work time which handles more than fifty requests per day.

Designed and implemented a new web portal for use by the plant to host information concerning orders and specifications, ISO 9000 standards documentation, a wiki for departmental pages and classifieds, a portal for company resources, announcements, and live pricing for raw materials.

I also don't see a reason to reduce the size of one's resume because of their age. A student with plenty of extracurricular activities and a good internship should enumerate and describe those activities and their work. Otherwise, the resume doesn't give a complete picture of their accomplishments. While I'd be more careful with white space and formatting, I don't see any reason to artificially condense the resume.

This post has been edited by mikeblas: 22 April 2009 - 05:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

View PostSue816, on 22 Apr, 2009 - 03:34 PM, said:

You graduated from high school in 2008...there is no conceivable way you should have a two page resume. Condense.

But congrats on the salutatorian & other awards, it is impressive...still needs more work, though =)

Actually, the only reason it's two pages is because of the extra curriculars. The only reason there's so many of those is because there were 19 students in my entire high school when I graduated, I only graduated with two other people and therefore, since the other two people didn't want anything to do with clubs, for the most part, I was the only one left. I ended up being an integral part of all of the clubs before I knew it. Thus, two pages because Extra Curricular takes up 3/4 of one.

I do worry about it being two pages, but I don't see any feesible way to shorten it without taking something out or making it look sloppy.

This post has been edited by ccubed: 22 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:34 AM

View PostSue816, on 22 Apr, 2009 - 05:34 PM, said:

You graduated from high school in 2008...there is no conceivable way you should have a two page resume.

Sure there is... lots of volunteer work & source forge projects :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:22 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 22 Apr, 2009 - 11:34 PM, said:

View PostSue816, on 22 Apr, 2009 - 05:34 PM, said:

You graduated from high school in 2008...there is no conceivable way you should have a two page resume.

Sure there is... lots of volunteer work & source forge projects :)

No. Honestly...that's ridiculous. The ability to be concise is a skill in itself. If a person doesn't want to take the time to condense their resume into important points and expects me to read paragraphs about volunteer work, I'd toss it. Google IT Resumes, you can see georgous resumes from people with 20+ years of work. If you've been in the field <1 year and have a 2 page resume, do you plan to have 40 pages in 20 years with a paragraph for each skill you learn?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

View PostSue816, on 23 Apr, 2009 - 03:22 PM, said:

If you've been in the field <1 year and have a 2 page resume, do you plan to have 40 pages in 20 years with a paragraph for each skill you learn?
Obviously not. You're being inductive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Resident Curmudgeon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

View Postccubed, on 22 Apr, 2009 - 06:15 PM, said:

I do worry about it being two pages, but I don't see any feesible way to shorten it without taking something out or making it look sloppy.

Easy: switch to a different template. A little reformating and I don't think you'd have any trouble fitting what you already have into a single page.

The layout you're using now has HUGE amounts of dead space. For instance, your contact information doesn't really need to take up almost a third of the page - I do mine in 2 lines. You could also kill that graphic at the top. The years for your activities don't really need to be on their own line. And what about all that empty space on the left under your section headings? Maybe you could move the headings into the page and use 2 columns for the extra curriculars. You have plenty of options - just play around with it a little.

Just remember, "condensed" does not equal "sloppy". Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought that having a page and a half resume was sloppy in and of itself - it indicates you didn't put much time or thought into your layout. My rule of thumb is, if you're going to have 2 pages, you better be able to fill those pages. Otherwise, you're just wasting paper.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1