12 Replies - 5753 Views - Last Post: 12 June 2009 - 12:01 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

How important is an internship?

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

How important do you guys think it is for an undergrad to have an internship under his/her belt by the time they graduate?
I've been looking on monster.com and careerbuilder.com in my area for jobs in the software engineering fields and 100% of them require at least 1 year experience. I'm getting worried that I may never find a job without an internship! Luckily, my uncle is a software engineer and can probably hook me up w/ a summer internship for its all over.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How important is an internship?

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How important is an internship?

Posted 27 April 2009 - 06:18 PM

An internship actually demonstrates that you were working in a team and are able to work in that environment (it will be shown by the recommendation letter). Mostly, people apply for internships to get experience, and that is the most valuable resource when it comes to software development. When including your internships in your resume, you are demonstrating that you have some kind of experience in that specific field.

I don't think that if you never had an internship you won't find a job. I know many people who are software developers and actually never had an internship, while now they are working in some large companies. Internships are not the only way to demonstrate your experience - you need projects. Projects you participated in that are quite complex to demonstrate your abilities.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:57 AM

Having an internship is much better than not having one. You should most definitely try to get one. If you can, awesome! If not, it's not like you're screwed for the rest of your life. Another thing an internship gives you is the beginnings of a network.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:25 AM

True,

Internship gives you image of what you may expect when you works for real. Company where students do their internship is always the first choice employer because they knew they have an edge over others who don't such as easy to accommodate and have good connection with the staff. Just don't screw up during internship period as you may as well screw up your future job. I'm currently doing Internship and almost 1 month here, I already knew the procedure this company does when do software testing, the tools they used to test software, and meet with some really nice good friends. This is what we meant by networking. ;)

This post has been edited by cs.caveman: 28 April 2009 - 02:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

If you can't get a job, and internship is a must. I've actually had a couple of programming jobs while I have been in school. They didn't pay very much, but they have helped me so much, even with my academic coding. Even though my jobs are web development, they help me get the basics down.

Once you can stop thinking about how you attack this data structure, or whether or not a variable is in scope, you can really start thinking about the nuances of the specific problem, whether is web scripting, or system programming. The more you know, the more fun coding is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:09 AM

Its better to have one then not have one. As simple as that. You should go for it and try and use that advantage to get a job that feels right for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

Try looking on craigslist and other job websites for internships. And don't think that they all require experience etc. I'm 17 with limited programming experience and I got an internship doing java coding so it can be done!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• |>|20-514<|{3|2

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:21 PM

So if I have taken a single C++ class should I possibly look for an internship after next semester once I have finished my intermediate C++ class? IDK if I would have enough coding background for an internship...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Garbage Collector

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:27 PM

I'd say extremely important. That's how you get used to what the real world is like. That's not something you are going to get in a classroom.

If you need to find an internship just talk to your advisor or someone. That's what they are there for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:02 PM

View PostIngeniousHax, on 31 May, 2009 - 08:21 PM, said:

So if I have taken a single C++ class should I possibly look for an internship after next semester once I have finished my intermediate C++ class? IDK if I would have enough coding background for an internship...

In my university the students look for internship during their junior-senior summer break. By that time they have a solid understanding in data structures, algorithms, database design, discrete math topics (probability, combinatorics, matrices), and computer organization (knowledge of assembly). In my opinion that's the bare minimum of knowledge needed to be useful in the real world company.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

View PostDantheman, on 2 Jun, 2009 - 09:02 PM, said:

In my university the students look for internship during their junior-senior summer break. By that time they have a solid understanding in data structures, algorithms, database design, discrete math topics (probability, combinatorics, matrices), and computer organization (knowledge of assembly). In my opinion that's the bare minimum of knowledge needed to be useful in the real world company.

I disagree - in my experience you don't need a solid understanding in any of the mentioned topics to be useful in a "real world company". The only thing you do need is the ability to learn on your feet...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:40 AM

View Postc0mrade, on 3 Jun, 2009 - 11:49 AM, said:

View PostDantheman, on 2 Jun, 2009 - 09:02 PM, said:

I disagree - in my experience you don't need a solid understanding in any of the mentioned topics to be useful in a "real world company". The only thing you do need is the ability to learn on your feet...

I agree here. After my first year at college I got an internship with a large company. They obviously took it easy on me, but I still did meaningful work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:01 PM

In my opinion (from a hiring manager and Project Lead) having an Internship on your resume when straight out of college looks very good on your resume (at least in my mind it does). It shows that you're willing to put yourself in real world situations while still in school, which to me shows a great desire to learn more and better yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1