Can't get my program to install on a 64-bit vista machine

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 3218 Views - Last Post: 15 May 2009 - 04:46 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

64-bit Vista Deployment

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:04 AM

Greetings all!

I've done quite a bit of research on this topic, and have found smatterings of my issue in quite a few different places. It's really tough to piece all of it together though.

My Issue:
I have a program that uses an MS Flex Grid (which I know is obsolete, but it was already over half-way in development when I came on board.) When I deploy the program on any XP or Vista 32-bit machine it works flawlessly. We use this program internally at the office for signing ourselves in and out of the building. It was originally written in VB6 and it worked fine on the few 64-bit vista machines that we have here. It used the same MS Flex Grid COM object as well. The program looks identical to it's VB6 counterpart and has all of the same features. The install works perfectly fine on both machines, however when trying to start the program on the 64-bit vista machines the user immediately receives "This application has stopped responding and needs to close" message. Before any of my error handling can even kick in.

What I've Tried:
I have tried compiling the application with x86, x64, and AnyCPU as the target CPU. Same error.
I have tried using the publish feature instead of a setup and deployment application. Same error.

I did some more reading and followed a suggestion on another forum to add unhandled error trapping to the application startup and I receive this error at startup:

"An error occured creating the form. See Exception.innerException for details. The error is: Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))
ProjectName
  at ProjectName.My.MyProject.MyForms.Create_Instance_[T](T Instance)
  at ProjectName.My.MyProject.MyForms.Get_frmMain()
  at ProjectName.My.MyApplication.OnCreateMainForm()
  at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun()
  at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel()"

Now I was assuming that my error was going to be in something to do with the Flex Grid DLL, and was very shocked to see something about the class not registered.

Anyways! How do I go about getting this application to work with 64-bit vista?? Has anybody else encountered an issue like this?

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 64-bit Vista Deployment

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 64-bit Vista Deployment

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:19 AM

I've had this error too. It was a pain in the ass to resolve. My system was a 32-bit Vista though, so how I resolved it may not work. Here it is anyways.

On my system, the error was caused by an ActiveX control I was using which was created using ATL 7.1 (or earlier). By definition, controls created using anything earlier than ATL 8.0 are not compatible with Vista. this is unlikely to be the same problem though, since you are not having any problems with 32-bit Vista, just 64. The only way I could resolve this issue was to publish my application, create a setup.exe file for it (I used Inno Setup), run a command prompt with administrator privileges, and use this command:

editbin.exe /NXCOMPAT:NO $(TargetPath)

Where $(TargetPath) is the filepath (including filename and extension) of the setup file.

Basically, when you run the setup file after this, it will be marked as not compatible with some of Vista's built in security (DEP which is what prevents the control from being initialised).

Hope this helped,
Bort
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:01 AM

Thanks Bort! I will give this a shot!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:13 AM

Bort,

I'm trying to run that editbin.exe command at a command prompt as administrator and I'm getting that it's not a recognizable command error.

And that was running it from the root of C:\...

Do I need to download a 3rd party app or something? I searched my entire computer for editbin.exe and couldn't find anything. I am running Windows Vista Business SP1 32-bit.

Here is my screenshot.. Did I have the syntax correct? And I tried it both to a network drive and local drive.

Attached Image

Thanks

Jeremy

This post has been edited by eworm: 14 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:43 PM

I have a very similar problem, none of my applications will work properly in 64-bit operating systems! The Exe will run, but web browsers wont work, buttons, functions etc.

I code w/ vb2008 pro btw
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:37 AM

View Posteworm, on 14 May, 2009 - 10:13 AM, said:

I'm trying to run that editbin.exe command at a command prompt as administrator and I'm getting that it's not a recognizable command error.

Oops, my bad. I forgot to add that you need to run Editbin.exe from the VS2008 Command Prompt (with admin privileges). If you are using the VS Express editions, the VS Command Prompt is part of VC# Express, as is Editbin.exe.

Sorry.

@Nick
Are you getting any error messages at all, or are your apps just not working?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:15 AM

View PostBort, on 15 May, 2009 - 01:37 AM, said:

Oops, my bad. I forgot to add that you need to run Editbin.exe from the VS2008 Command Prompt (with admin privileges). If you are using the VS Express editions, the VS Command Prompt is part of VC# Express, as is Editbin.exe.

Ok, I figured out the VS2008 Command Prompt. However, I still don't have editbin.exe as an available command. I am using Visual Studio 2008 Developer addition, but unfortunately it only has VB with it. So if that is only a function of VC# am I screwed? Or is there another way to get this feature?

If there is no other way there is a good chance I can get the full studio package installed. But let me know if there is a quicker way to get editbin.

Thanks for your time!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:27 AM

I actually have the full studio version on my laptop. And I just checked, editbin is there. Going to try it from that one! Thanks again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:36 AM

Good luck :)

If it doesn't work, Google "VC# 2008 Express" and you should be directed to a microsoft site where you can download the express versions for free.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:52 PM

@bort

My apps just dont work, but will run and launch the first form, but most functions wont work at all :(

Any Ideas?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:05 PM

What is your app doing?, What is it suppose to do? Does it use Files?

This post has been edited by AdamSpeight2008: 15 May 2009 - 03:05 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:46 PM

View PostAdamSpeight2008, on 15 May, 2009 - 02:05 PM, said:

What is your app doing?, What is it suppose to do? Does it use Files?

My apps mostly have a login and password box, and a browser than grabs the username and password, then auto-logs in
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1