3 Replies - 1519 Views - Last Post: 10 June 2009 - 03:46 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

DesktopTwo

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:53 AM

DesktopTwo

Posted Image

One of the cornerstones of cloud computing – a phenomenon where you take your entire computing needs onto the Web – is an online personal collaboration page, akin to the desktop on your current operating system.

The potential of such a tool is quite evident. Once your entire desktop is put online, you can access the same from any browser on any operating system from any place in the world. It just opens up your computing experience and rids you of the need to carry a laptop with you all the time. This would especially be useful for those who still depend on cybercafés or college students accessing computers from their university’s lab. When you have to keep switching your base equipment all the time, it would be nice to have a homescreen you can call your own.

DesktopTwo, developed by Sapotek, is one such virtual desktop environment. The entire interface looks just like your Windows, Mac or Linux desktop would, showcasing icons, toolbars, etc. Apart from offering users the ability to save a lot of their own content online, the site’s integration with popular Web tools is what makes it invaluable.

For starters, the ‘Webmail’ access point for all your email accounts is a great interface that many would prefer to their own email service. And the ‘Blog Creator’ lets you easily and quickly add new posts to your online journal. A photo viewer, MP3 player that connects to online radio, calendar tool and RSS reader sweeten the deal.

Indeed, DesktopTwo has almost all the ingredients that any normal desktop would need, including an office suite. What’s more, you can easily share files with other users.

And all that his free resource takes is just a simple registration. Hit the link to open up a whole new world!

[article taken from mumbai mirror]

This post has been edited by searockruz: 10 June 2009 - 05:47 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: DesktopTwo

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: DesktopTwo

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:42 AM

Quite neat.... The company I used to work for made something like that, it was quite fun to work on actually but effectively useless when compared to normal web pages.

Apart from our project I used a couple of "Web Operating Systems" and came to the same conclusion, I just doubt that it will ever take off.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:50 AM

View PostMageUK, on 10 Jun, 2009 - 04:42 AM, said:

Quite neat.... The company I used to work for made something like that, it was quite fun to work on actually but effectively useless when compared to normal web pages.

Apart from our project I used a couple of "Web Operating Systems" and came to the same conclusion, I just doubt that it will ever take off.

i agree

first it takes lots and lots of time to load
and i don't think they are of any use

i just posted because some people like to surf websites with cool interface
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:46 PM

Grr, I had an idea like this a couple of years ago, but did nothing with it.

Looks pretty cool, though I probably won't use it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1