IE treating code weird

HAs anyone else noticed it on the newer versions of IE

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 798 Views - Last Post: 18 June 2009 - 01:12 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

IE treating code weird

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:58 AM

I am a ColdFusion developer using AJAX and I am noticing that the newer 2 versions of IE (Version 7 and 8) act weird... such as having on onclick event wait for the user to click the event anchor and then click somewhere else before it does anything, or have really thick horizontal rules, and strong and bold tags not working. It is really frustrating.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: IE treating code weird

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: IE treating code weird

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:01 AM

That's interesting, never seen it happen before.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

I know nothing about Cold Fusion, so I'll apologize in advance...

I've never seen anything like what you describe in IE7 or IE8, especially relating to AJAX. In my experience, bugs like these are always a CSS or Javascript issue that the developer missed and NOT the fault of the browser.

Are you using built-in CF libraries for your AJAX functionality? I know that ASP.NET's built-in AJAX libraries are somewhat sketchy in certain situations, so I always use Javascript libraries like jQuery or ExtJS and write the code myself. If you're using some built-in library, it's possible that it's out of date or just plain crappy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:41 PM

View Postarthurakay, on 16 Jun, 2009 - 12:17 PM, said:

I know nothing about Cold Fusion, so I'll apologize in advance...

I've never seen anything like what you describe in IE7 or IE8, especially relating to AJAX. In my experience, bugs like these are always a CSS or Javascript issue that the developer missed and NOT the fault of the browser.

Are you using built-in CF libraries for your AJAX functionality? I know that ASP.NET's built-in AJAX libraries are somewhat sketchy in certain situations, so I always use Javascript libraries like jQuery or ExtJS and write the code myself. If you're using some built-in library, it's possible that it's out of date or just plain crappy.

It is built in library's, but they work just fine on Firefox and Safari. One other really weird this is that I have a backend editor for my clients to edit the content on their pages, and when they bold text it wraps it in <b></b>. When I look at it on IE 7 or 8 it sometimes won't show the text bolded. I had to change the editor to put <span style="font-weight:bold; "></span> aroung the text.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:48 AM

I am a ColdFusion developer using AJAX and I am noticing that the newer 2 versions of IE (Version 7 and 8) act weird... such as having on onclick event wait for the user to click the event anchor and then click somewhere else before it does anything, or have really thick horizontal rules, and strong and bold tags not working. It is really frustrating.

YES! Its so annoying... I test and release using firefox/chrome and go to show off my work and BAM, onclick events suddenly dont work. I ended up having to scratch my javascript and embed urls into my page. (instead of neat little listboxes)

From what I gather this is only in SOME cases and I can't find a rhyme or reason behind it, other than IE7&8 don't like old school javascript.

This post has been edited by fremgenc: 18 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:12 PM

View Postfremgenc, on 18 Jun, 2009 - 10:48 AM, said:

YES! Its so annoying... I test and release using firefox/chrome and go to show off my work and BAM, onclick events suddenly dont work. I ended up having to scratch my javascript and embed urls into my page. (instead of neat little listboxes)

From what I gather this is only in SOME cases and I can't find a rhyme or reason behind it, other than IE7&8 don't like old school javascript.

Yeah well my problem with it is just that some simple HTML tags that aren't deprecated aren't working. It really sucks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1