12 Replies - 3386 Views - Last Post: 26 June 2009 - 08:04 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Should I create Console or Windows Forms Apps?

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

Should I focus my attention as I learn C# on creating DOS programs (running through command line), or should I immediately start focusing on Windows frames or forms..or whatever they are called?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I create Console or Windows Forms Apps?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Should I create Console or Windows Forms Apps?

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

View PostXioshin, on 24 Jun, 2009 - 05:52 PM, said:

Should I focus my attention as I learn C# on creating DOS programs (running through command line), or should I immediately start focusing on Windows frames or forms..or whatever they are called?

I would recommend starting with Windows Forms, or if you want a bigger challenge, WPF. A console application isn't really much easier to create than a Windows Forms one. WPF is a lot harder to learn than Windows Forms, but the future of Windows client development is probably WPF.

It sounds like you already have a version of Visual Studio, but, if you don't, Microsoft has a learning version that you can get from Microsoft for free Visual C# Express Edition 2008.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

View PostTrent F Guidry, on 24 Jun, 2009 - 07:00 PM, said:

I would recommend starting with Windows Forms, or if you want a bigger challenge, WPF. A console application isn't really much easier to create than a Windows Forms one. WPF is a lot harder to learn than Windows Forms, but the future of Windows client development is probably WPF.

It sounds like you already have a version of Visual Studio, but, if you don't, Microsoft has a learning version that you can get from Microsoft for free Visual C# Express Edition 2008.

Thanks. Yes you are correct, I already have the IDE up and running. Just need to find the best tutorial site to start learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:39 AM

I actually think starting out with console applications is a good idea.

creating windows forms in an IDE like visual studio is almost too easy and I think a lot of the basic programming rules can get lost in it.

for example, creating a button in visual studio, windows forms, is as easy as putting it on your form edit some valeus, then double click and you have your method..
if you start off like that it is very important to try to find out what exactly is going on before you continue, otherwise you will just take it for granted and move on which in my opinion is a bad thing..

starting of with console apps, starts you of with just plain code, C# syntax, so learning and understanding the language comes as you build your application.

a good example being datasets etc. datasets, datatables and datagridviews are a few clicks away in a windows forms application but when you have to work with datasets and tables in a console app you get a much better view of how it works..

when you have the syntax covered the transition to forms or WPF is not that big.

my 2 cents.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• No idea why my code works
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:14 AM

Console application is what you want to start with. On top of the C# syntax that you need to familiarize yourself with, you need a solid way to learn programming practices, tools, and tricks (or reinforce with the new syntax). If your learning how to make a calculator should you be focusing more how to develop how Memory recall works, or how to make a button? Windows forms is a nice transition into the GUI world once u know what your doing. So after the console (calc for example), convert your code into a Form (now make your buttons for the calc), then move into WPF, and start making real applications
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:52 AM

Changed title to be more descriptive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:55 AM

I agree the best way to start is using console applications to get the basic statements down and some understanding of oop. After that implementing the code in a windows forms application will be easy.

For example, I recently rewrote one of my 1st practise applications(console) to make it structured in it's classes and methods and now am trying to get it all to work on a windows form. It's a nice way of learning, since I only need to worry about the windows form part, and not about debugging the main code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:14 AM

I compleatly agree - while it is cool to have buttons and stuff everywhere when you are learning, it does somewhat remove the focus from the actual body of the programming becuse before you know it you are swamped with designer code and event handlers. And there is something nice about having a decent console app! In regards to WPF it is worth the effort to learn, but I personally found (and still find) it confusing as hell compared to WinForms, and requires atleast a basic knowledge of XML/XAML, which again will detract from the actual body of the code you probally want to be learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:11 AM

I also agree with starting out working with console applications. You are given a very, very basic beginning, and you have to do everything. With WinForms, a lot is done for you, so you lose that learning ability.

So I would say to start with console programming, get the OOP practices down and the syntax, then move to WinForms/WPF.

And in all honesty, if you plan on moving to WPF, I would go ahead and do it now. If you start with WinForms and learn those, you will be lost when moving to WPF. It's not like knowing WinForms really helps out with WPF.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:28 PM

Cool, I will start with console applications and then eventually work my way into using forms.

Few questions:

1) Can C# support networking? This includes client-server relationships, data sending (TCP or UDP), and threads -- in real time too? I know this is no easy thing to learn. I'm in no rush - I'll start with the basics.

2) Are forms Windows-compatible only? Can I use C# to make multi-OS applications?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Planeswalker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

Yes, C# supports network programming. There are classes in the System.Net name space for TCP/IP and UDP. There is also the Windows Communciations Foundation(WCF) that has support for peer-to-peer applications.

This might be a little late but starting with console applications is an excellent idea. You will learn a lot about the syntax and other things. I would also suggest starting with classes as soon as possible. Look into the principals of object-oriented programming, anaylsis and design. These will be invaluable when you make the move to Windows forms programming. There is also a big difference between a console program and a windows program. In a console application you tell the user what to do. In a Windows application you respond to what the user wants to do. This can be a bit of a learning curve for those starting programming.

*edit* Forgot your second quesiton :)

C# by definition is Windows only, at least at the moment. This is because C# needs the .NET framework to run. There have been attempts to have C# run on other platforms.

This post has been edited by SixOfEleven: 26 June 2009 - 06:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:27 PM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 26 Jun, 2009 - 05:38 PM, said:

This might be a little late but starting with console applications is an excellent idea. You will learn a lot about the syntax and other things. I would also suggest starting with classes as soon as possible. Look into the principals of object-oriented programming, anaylsis and design. These will be invaluable when you make the move to Windows forms programming.

C# by definition is Windows only, at least at the moment. This is because C# needs the .NET framework to run. There have been
attempts to have C# run on other platforms.

Forgot to mention I already know a decent amount of C++, and programming in general. I know PHP and SQL very well too.

C# is windows only? Why is it that people think C# is the next big thing after C++ then, if C++ can be run on all Operating systems?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Software Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:04 PM

I think the reason that people think C# is the next big thing is because of the ease at which a programmer can create a gui. It's much harder to learn and program GUIs in C++.

I use C# whenever I have a program that I might want to hand out to others. An app with a GUI looks much nicer and it reduces the learning curve of the end user.

Exaggerated Example: Who would use MS Word or any of the nice word processors if they were a command line application? I'm not saying they were coded in C#, but the point is that most normal people prefer a GUI to the command line.

This post has been edited by eker676: 26 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1